The online racing simulator
#1 - Jakg
Random Question - Why Does My W810i Mobile Have 2 Thermometers Built In?
Ok, after I found an AMAZING bit of software for any Sony Ericsson phone (MyPhoneExplorer), and when I plugged my W810i it gave me the screenshot attached.

Why on EARTH does my phone have TWO thermometers in it? I can understand one to stop the battery overheating, but the phone itself?

(And yes, judging by ambients and the way those temps change they are right).
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Wish I still had my Sony Ericsson phone (k700i). Got the white screen of death.

More related. I've no idea why there should be a second thermometer.
My K800i also has two thermometers, no idea why either though.
One from Sony, One from Ericsson off course :P
So you could check your body temperature rectally while the second thermometer would tell you if it's freezing outside.
These days some battery packs come with temperature sensors built into them, so that they can preform a complete "shutdown" in hardware, if the battery is in danger of exploding (though I'm sure you're aware that this doesnt always work).

I'd guess that the software is picking up that one, and one built into the phone itself, perhaps. Why you'd want one on the phone, which I assume is passively cooled, is an interesting question though.
The one internalised on the phone is because in certain enclosed environments, such as pockets or specific phone cases, and under high burden (such as during handover - especially if happening very frequently), the phone can start overheating. It's also used, like the battery temperature sensor (see what Karl said), to perform a shutdown in case of overheating.
I have a W810i and it does heat up quite a bit sometimes if I ''over'' use it.

For example, Put music, bluetooth and play games at the same time for around an hour you'll see that the extra cooling is very usefull.
#9 - Jakg
Wow. The things I never knew about my phone!

What do you mean "during handover"? I take it you don't mean giving the phone to someone!
I think quite a lot of modern gadgets have thermal cut offs. My cheap Fuji camera kept switching itself off after a few seconds in 50°c heat, but when brought into cooler air it worked fine.
#11 - Jakg
For the battery I can understand, but it just seems a little wierd.

Meh, can't beat a phone with a built in ambeint temperature sensor - If only I could read it direct on the phone...
Quote from Jakg :What do you mean "during handover"? I take it you don't mean giving the phone to someone!

moving along at a cell border switching from one base station to another
I have a K700i.

It sucks, the battery won't last for 1 day if I want to make 1 call.
And that is with a new battery. So the phone is faulty probably.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I have a K700i.

I had a k700i before it went through the wash.

The battery lasted ages. Almost a week with regular use.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I have a K700i.

have you heard of the first charging cycle of the battery?
Quote from squidhead :have you heard of the first charging cycle of the battery?

What is with this anyway? Some say you have to leave it in 24 hours, before turning it on the first time.
I left mine charging for a day, but I did turn it on and used it.. My battery is pretty much okay.
The W series is great tho, I have a W800I which im using for 2-3 years..

As for the temp? Where can I check the temp. of my phone?
Quote from sgt.flippy :What is with this anyway? Some say you have to leave it in 24 hours, before turning it on the first time.
I left mine charging for a day, but I did turn it on and used it.. My battery is pretty much okay.

charge it for 8 hrs , then use it till the battery dies completely

repeat a few times to be sure
lithium batteries dont have a memory effect squid
Quote from Shotglass :lithium batteries dont have a memory effect squid

so the first charging cycle is a waste of time in our days?
#21 - Jakg
Quote from Takumi_lfs :The W series is great tho, I have a W800I which im using for 2-3 years..

As for the temp? Where can I check the temp. of my phone?

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php

Install that, and then plug your phone in - lets you view your messages, send messages, see statuses etc. Basically the best bit of software that i've found and then just "fallen in love with". Just bought a Cradle, and an extra charger, so that I can just drop my phone in the cradle, click "Phone Mode" and then have my PC do all the work :P
Thank you very much!

handfull program there. I'm going to flash my w800i to a w810i tomorrow.

E : I just found out that I can't flash a w800i to a w810i :}

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG