The online racing simulator
Graphics
(41 posts, started )
#26 - dev
You have two GPUs, but only 256MB RAM?? Odd...
Well, I've ordered 4GB now, so that'll sort that

It's a Dimension 8300, it was a custom one when my Dad used to work in Dell...this was like 4 years ago, so most things ran fine on 256mb back then...

The cards are only 128mb each, so it's just the same as a normal one
Quote from Jakg :Just ftr I really doubt anyone gets a constant 60 FPS - with my PC (link in my sig) at 2.8 GHz I still get 40 FPS at the back of a full grid at 8xAA (although it's CPU limited).

Of course the second that the field spreads out even remotely it'll bounce of vSync all day long, but at the start it wont - I think this is where a LOT of confusion comes in as they think that racing around on their own = "constant FPS"

You sir are correct. I have never played a 20 car race starting from dead last place before. I just tried it right now on the city map and it was around on average 30FPS with all 19 AI cars in front of me. When there are less cars around it sticks at 60 though.

Is it the AI that drags the FPS down? I have not played a 20 player race online starting from dead last either... I wonder if the FPS would be higher with the CPU not driving all those other cars??
My e-penis is shrinking!

I get a max fps of 55-60 on a good day when there is noone else around.

At race start it falls to about 10-15.

AMD Athlon 2500+
512MB memory
Windows XP
Must be my geForce 6200.

Anyone know a good AGP graphics card?
Quote from March Hare :My e-penis is shrinking!

I get a max fps of 55-60 on a good day when there is noone else around.

At race start it falls to about 10-15.

AMD Athlon 2500+
512MB memory
Windows XP
Must be my geForce 6200.

Anyone know a good AGP graphics card?

I suspect that just a new GFX card won't make much difference, because your CPU is so ancient and would be the bottleneck anyway. Sensible options would be to upgrade the whole machine, or not to upgrade at all I'm afraid. But if you don't care about money at all, there's AGP cards up to nvidia's 7950 GT and ATI's X1950PRO available.
Quote from frokki :I suspect that just a new GFX card won't make much difference, because your CPU is so ancient and would be the bottleneck anyway. Sensible options would be to upgrade the whole machine, or not to upgrade at all I'm afraid. But if you don't care about money at all, there's AGP cards up to nvidia's 7950 GT and ATI's X1950PRO available.

Don't forget about the HD 2xxx series, they arn't bad either.

I have a P4 3.2ghz HT, 2gb of ram and an HD2600 512mb pro agp.
I get 60fps with 20 cars infront of me, thats also with high res track textures. At least I did, untill windows decided it didn't like my graphics card, now I can't play LFS at all.
yeh thanks for answers..
Quote from frokki :I suspect that just a new GFX card won't make much difference, because your CPU is so ancient and would be the bottleneck anyway. Sensible options would be to upgrade the whole machine, or not to upgrade at all I'm afraid.

Then it's no new GFX card for me. No sense in getting an über AGP card if the next PC will have PCI-E.
I just tested to see how many fps I get uner full grid and with no one else but me..never done it before with my new card..

Full grid AI - 20.6 fps
Just me - 239 fps

P4 3.1 GHz
2gb ram
nVidia 8600GT

I dont know if thats good or bad fps...but it works..
#35 - Jakg
Quote from scoobyrbac :Full grid AI - 20.6 fps

P4 3.1 GHz

Can you repeat that test with 19 Ai's in FRONT of you at SO Chicane please?
Quote from Jakg :Can you repeat that test with 19 Ai's in FRONT of you at SO Chicane please?

At SO Chicane I get 11.3 fps

I was testing it at Blackwood
#37 - Jakg
Sorry to be a pain but with the FBM - iirc it's the highest poly car in LFS, so that test should show the lowest FPS you'll ever get (you should get the lowest as the lights go green)
SO chicane with 19 FBM in front of my FBM:

Lights red 42FPS
Lights green 37FPS
#39 - Jakg
19 Ai's?

WTFunk. Time to make a clean copy of LFS with no AA and try again.
#40 - wien
With enough dynamic LOD reduction, that shouldn't be too hard to achieve. I get around the same here with 0.5 dynamic LOD reduction and the rest on full tilt.
Dynamic LOD reduction is 0. All graphics settings maximized (From LFS and from gfx-control panel).

This, my friend, is true e-penis -enlarger!

Graphics
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG