The online racing simulator
Great Race All! Congrats to Core and the rest of the podium!
well.... we were racing car #7 in a good battle for place 14 or 15 i think.... when i get a damn disconnection.... baaaaaaahhhhhhh.....

Congrats Core Racing for the victory!!!
Grats to the podium guys

That was a really fun race from my perspective.
Thoroughly enjoyed chasing down the Adaptive Racing (i think) car in my final stint, closing a 40 odd second gap to get him. That kept the motivation up

Good job all, looked nice and clean from what i saw of the race.

Thanks to the Admins as usual.
Grats to the winners!!! SHD definitly don't have luck with connection, in last 20 minutes of all race 4 time lost connection ILKE, then I went on track and drive on mouse last 10 minutes.
car #16 T.Mohammed had more than one issue to get a handle on this night...

In Qual ha exited the pits and drove straight out in the raceline just in front of me destroying my 1'st attempt... A little more awareness would be apreciated in the future...
Quote from DeadWolfBones :If you don't want the possibility of an accidental chat, you can delete your binds. I and most other enduro drivers have done so for this very reason.

That's the reason why I'm for server communication on a whole but for a league, everything just runs better the way it is...
#82 - SamH
I run a competition version of LFS when I'm doing stuff like this race. It has almost no binds, the graphics are optimised, skins are low res (for the start grid, when you start as far back as UKCT does), the screen res is just enough to race with and every other optimisation I can think of to ensure trouble-free competition racing.
I've had a look at the incident on the race start. It seems it was firstly caused by lag, one car momentarily disappeared and the car following had to brake heavily. This basically caused a concertina effect which culminated in 18 and 10 colliding. The collision was also partly due to a few drivers doing around 100 mph (160 kph) which is too high a speed. I'd suggest for future races as a guideline drivers keep between 50-70 mph (90-115 kph) although there is the obvious exception of some corners, such as SO longs hairpin. This should stop drivers from having to catch up to the car in front before a race start, which is 50% of what caused this incident.
#84 - AMB
Bit of a crazy race for my team, my team mate Jarda done the first hour, and in my stint I had 3 DT's 1 Stop and Go, and a blown tyre, also next stiny jarda had a DT and blown tyre, and the stint after i had another blown tyre, so i need to work on my endurance quite a lot, this was also my first IGTC race, i enjoyed it, but i think T.Mohamad should have a penalty for talking, just like i did when i asked how long a stop go was,
Quote from AMB :Bit of a crazy race for my team, my team mate Jarda done the first hour, and in my stint I had 3 DT's 1 Stop and Go, and a blown tyre, also next stiny jarda had a DT and blown tyre, and the stint after i had another blown tyre, so i need to work on my endurance quite a lot, this was also my first IGTC race, i enjoyed it, but i think T.Mohamad should have a penalty for talking, just like i did when i asked how long a stop go was,

Your chat penalty was for "ffs."
I had a little accident in the first lap. I am new to IGTC and maybe I was too close to the driver before me, but i hold the distance and brake in the right time. The driver behind me (10 B.Gouga) just slammed brakes and slided into me. Then I had 180. After that I was standing and letting the 08, 27, 13 pass me. Then 14 T.Scheler had lag and had impact with 09 M.Pisko. In addition I flew again because M.Pisko was standing next to me. My front suspension was damaged and wheel wasnt in the right place. It was 90 degrees turned all the time to the right.

here are pictures to prove it :

1st picture - i have right distance with the driver ahead of me , but 10 B.Couga hasnt - you can see the length of brake lines
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/1.JPG

2nd picture A little better view.
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/2.JPG

3rd picture What happened then :
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/3.JPG

4th picture I was letting some people to pass me. Look @ my speed.
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/5.JPG

5th picture The lagman
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/6.JPG

6th picture Conclusion
http://pes.pri.ee/kraam/accident/7.JPG
Quote from The Moose :Grats to the podium guys

That was a really fun race from my perspective.
Thoroughly enjoyed chasing down the Adaptive Racing (i think) car in my final stint, closing a 40 odd second gap to get him. That kept the motivation up

Good job all, looked nice and clean from what i saw of the race.

Thanks to the Admins as usual.

Nah that was me you were chasing..... I had to swap to R4 tyres on the front for my last stint (normally R3) and they got very cold almost black) for the last 10 minutes or so... they were also going to get a puncture very soon so I was nursing the car home and controlled my gap with you . My 2nd last lap was a 1:44... then I did a 1:39 in the last lap... my car was understeering badly at the time and nearly impossible to drive around the corners. But the race shouldn't have lasted a lap longer!
Quote from Dimitry Gerards :Nah that was me you were chasing.....

It was the AR car i was mainly chasing for the last hour. I got by him with about 7 mins to go and my teammate said "don't bother pushing, the next guy is uncatchable...15 seconds gap" so i eased off for a lap as my tires were looking thin.

Then he spotted your laptimes and i went for it again, unfortunately the lap i had eased off cost me.

I still thought i was going to get you but you managed to slip by the backmarker just before the turn on to the oval but he wasn't quite so accommodating for me.

That was great fun chasing you and the AR car down..i really had to push and luckily this time round we had looked after the engine properly and had no damage at all to worry about in the final hour.

Our setup was slightly slow for the first 20 mins of each stint, then it just got better and better for the next 40 mins. Thanks to the team for getting the base set really good. (i came in at the last minute and made minor tweaks.....good job guys!)

I have to mention my old sparring partner F.Enerson I had a really great battle with him in the first stint, probably the most fun part of the race for me. He's just one of those guys i totally trust to go wheel to wheel with. Hard and fair, just how i like my racing

After some bad luck in the first round at Blackwood, and an ultimately disappointing finishing result, we have to be happy with the progress made this time round. 8th was a great finish all things considered. Should have been 7th , but that's racing for you, there's always could haves, should haves and what might have beens
Quote from okijuhans :I had a little accident in the first lap. I am new to IGTC and maybe I was too close to the driver before me, but i hold the distance and brake in the right time. The driver behind me (10 B.Gouga) just slammed brakes and slided into me. Then I had 180. After that I was standing and letting the 08, 27, 13 pass me. Then 14 T.Scheler had lag and had impact with 09 M.Plsko. In addition I flew again because M.Pisko was standing next to me. My front suspension was damaged and wheel wasnt in the right place. It was 90 degrees turned all the time to the right.

Whole incident was wery unlucky for us! First I (09 M.Plsko) have to notice that I brahe in time and I don't touch u after u turn 180 degree. Than u make move forward to me and you move me a little bit back and than came big impact to my rear. After that my front was turn to wall. I had big damage at right rear and i had to go carefuly to the pits. Early after my pitstop that i was lapped and that was another handicap of collision in 1st lap.

Here is my replay (only 1st lap)
Attached files
1st_lap.mpr - 1.3 MB - 116 views
#90 - AMB
Quote from BenjiMC :I've had a look at the incident on the race start. It seems it was firstly caused by lag, one car momentarily disappeared and the car following had to brake heavily. This basically caused a concertina effect which culminated in 18 and 10 colliding. The collision was also partly due to a few drivers doing around 100 mph (160 kph) which is too high a speed. I'd suggest for future races as a guideline drivers keep between 50-70 mph (90-115 kph) although there is the obvious exception of some corners, such as SO longs hairpin. This should stop drivers from having to catch up to the car in front before a race start, which is 50% of what caused this incident.

I have a problem with officiating that takes LAG into too much consideration. Anyone that thinks the replay catches RACE LAG correctly and replays it the same for different people on different systems is making a large mistake. Yes, Lag happens but the replay is not CONCLUSIVE.
I have made a statement in an earlier post that cold have cleaned up the start problem AFTER it happened but no one wants to address it.
Quote :Now, about another issue, How come there was this BIG ass wreck on the start of the race and the SAFETY CAR was not used to clean up the situation. What the heck is it for if not to USE in THAT situation. A lot of people lost a lap or more then and made the start of a good 4hr event pure shit.

It's used in real racing all the time in that situation.
As i said lag wasn't the only cause but it was definatly the trigger. i have viewed the replay at least 7 times and the lag occurred every time. Bare in mind the replay is also from the server, not my computer so what you see is what you get pretty much.

Anyway if you want a simple summary of events
  1. Lag of 07.
  2. flat foot of the car behind lead to heavy braking.
  3. Concertina through the whole pack behind them.
  4. 18 gets spun by 10, again heavy footed drivers caused this.
  5. lack of awareness from cars behind led to the final big shunt
Thanks Benji, that covers that.

I just watched the start two times and I'm pretty sure the accident back near the rear of the field happened BEFORE the GREEN FLAG message that started the race. There should have been a restart or SC to let those who got SCREWED, like one of my drivers did, by the incident to have a decent race start.

Scratch that in red, apparently my teammates car does not see a green flag till after he gets started again after the crash fest. I assume he has to cross an invisible line on the track before he sees the green flag message as the leaders got it way before my driver did. Crazy damn simulator.

I know that race administrating is not easy but, I'll not be over this for a while and justified so.
Actually went back and looked again. It was close but the wreck happened as follows:

Wreck in progress at 2:45 lap #1.
Leader gets green at 2:47.

Should have been a SC period at least to bunch up the field again and give those who suffered a chance to recover, Lag or no lag.

Too late now but if it's even close in the future I'd like the admins to make sure we have a close field at the start of the event and after ANY SC period no matter how many times it takes to get everyone on the SAME sheet of paper with starting one of these events correctly.

Too many hours goes into an event like this by all involved to not use the tools we have to make it better.
We appreciate your situation here Nolan and share your concern. The start to this race was a bit hectic, with me scrambling to get the tracker started properly (after forgetting to add a team until the field started rolling). I finally got it going about 5s before I gave the field the green, and the 5s gap was of course used to bring up the menu to throw the green.

Thus I didn't see the accident going on, and neither did Benji as he was driving the SC. Once I gave the green I switched to watch the leaders go through T1 (watching for trouble) and it wasn't until they were on the way to the lefthand sweeper that I heard Benji say "looks like there was some trouble in the back." By this time it was more difficult to estimate how big the wreck had been, since everyone was already moving again.

Obviously these weren't ideal circumstances, but we should have had someone notice the trouble sooner. At that point we had only myself, Benji, Burnsy, and Starblue (who was also working on the tracker at that point). Rooble joined later.

Now... as to whether the accident should have brought out the SC:

The rule on the books says that one criteria for a SC coming out is that "a portion of the track is badly obstructed or an incident involves a majority of teams." I have not done an exact count, but I gather this incident included 5-7 teams out of 28. For comparison, the restart incident at BL1 included literally half of the field or more, which is why it brought out the SC and why it's the only non-flipping/non-fuel/non-stranded related SC that's been thrown. So on that criteria this incident would not have counted.

That said, since it happened before the green, we would ideally have aborted the start and taken another lap at SC speed. However, as you pointed out, there was only a 2s gap between the incident and the green flag being given, which is not much time to react and delay the green.

In short, in a perfect world the start would have been waved off, but circumstances conspired to prevent that. Hopefully circumstances will be kinder in the future.
It wasn`t so huge crash. SC wasnt needed.
I think it was, it screwed about 1/4 of the field out of a clean start, and the race hadn't even really started.
#98 - SamH
Quote from okijuhans :It wasn`t so huge crash. SC wasnt needed.

For those who it affected, it was a huge crash. It was also so close to the beginning of the race (perhaps even before it) that it would have been reasonable and fair to those involved if the race had been restarted.

Perhaps it just wasn't so huge for you.
#99 - MR_B
I would have called for a red flag. Or safety car.
I would have deployed the secret ramp, so cars that were behind, could have avoided the inital wreck.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG