The online racing simulator
Calculating position of brake-distance markers
Does anyone know if it's possible to determine the position of the brake-distance markers (200m, 150m, 100m, etc.) before a corner?

My idea is to plot these markers in the screens of my replay analyser, so you can quickly see the position of the brake points and turn-in points. (I guess it would be derived from the data in the PTH file.) But it really has to be consistent with the actual positions inside LFS, otherwise it would be no use.
#2 - Stuff
Hrm, only thing I can think of is some default autocross layout? I remember watching a hotlap of a person hitting autox objects that were there by accident, being my default autox layout.. I don't know how replays would behave or if its even possible anymore, because of a fix.

Also, maybe the MCI/nodelap packet tells when they brake? If so just extract the x, y at the same time, determine how far they were then show either a button, DX8 injection prompt or log?

Just guessin'
Quote from wsinda :... (I guess it would be derived from the data in the PTH file.) ...

all I know, these points are definitely not stored in the pth files. Pth files are the wrong place to search for this type of information.

regards
Soeren
The nodelap/MCI doesn't tell you when they press the brake pedal, but you could use it to detect sudden deceleration and try to work out the braking points that way. You could maybe do it with OutGauge though, as it has the brake and throttle data in it. Watch for where the driver uses the brake at each corner and build up a picture of the braking points that way.
Quote from DarkTimes :The nodelap/MCI doesn't tell you when they press the brake pedal, but you could use it to detect sudden deceleration and try to work out the braking points that way.

That's not what I'm trying to find out. The RAF file already tells me when/where the brake pedal is pressed. What I want to do is relate that point to the brake marker signs that are visible when you drive, so my program can print that the braking point for, say, T1 at BL1 was at 137m.
Quote from Soeren Scharf :all I know, these points are definitely not stored in the pth files.

Correct, but I think I can calculate the start of the turn from the track coordinates that are in the PTH file.

The location of the brake markers is probably stored somewhere in the (undocumented) track data. But ideally, these positions have been calculated from the track coordinates when Eric designed the track, using some kind of method. It's this method I'm trying to find.
If you wanted to do it manually, couldn't you turn on the track guide thingy (4), and find the XY position / Node of the braking point from that? I'm not too sure what you're looking for, but if I'm understanding right, that would be a possible solution...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :... I'm not too sure what you're looking for, ...

he stated it clearly:
- He does not want to know the braking point but
- He wants to know the position of the brake markers (the plates some meters above the track with the big numbers painted onto)

I could suggest one solution, where you would get the exact positions. They are stored in the smx files. Unfortunately all other objects are stored there too, so you would need to be able to identify the objects as brake markers. That's why I would not call this a solution but a very strange and complex workaround.

kind regards
Soeren
Even so, my solution would work. Just make a simple little program that makes a button with your co-ordinates, run that, and drive around to the brake markers
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Even so, my solution would work. Just make a simple little program that makes a button with your co-ordinates, run that, and drive around to the brake markers

hehe, now I understood your suggestion. Nice workaround, much less complex than my suggestion

regards
Quote from Soeren Scharf :I could suggest one solution, where you would get the exact positions. They are stored in the smx files.

I doubt if that would work. AFAIK an smx file is simply a collection of colour-labeled vertices. Some of those may be part of a brake marker -- though from looking at the display of AnalyseForSpeed it seems like brake markers are too small to be included in the smx. But even if they were there, distinguishing them from the other objects would be very hard.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Just make a simple little program that makes a button with your co-ordinates, run that, and drive around to the brake markers.

Ah, now I see what you mean. A semi-automatic way to record the positions. It would indeed work, but it requires you to drive to every brake marker of every track config. And once more for the reverse config. Ouch.
Yes, that is very ouch, I know

Although there must be a simpler solution, I can't see one

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG