2) Drop James Allen

3) Get rid of the stupid pre-race show features

4) More onboard cameras

5) Less ad breaks

6) Take a leaf from the US and use more unique camera angles

7) Revamp the pitlane coverage, show more pitstops

8) Overhaul the graphics

DK

There are NO adverts shown at any time on the BBC, which is one of the reasons why I prefer BBC programmes.
Quote from garph :Charlie Cox, he is hillarious!

I'd go for Sid Waddell

Seriously tho, it'll be great to be shot of the adverts and all of the presenters excpet Brundle.

Lets hope the Beeb take a few pointers from some of the new features ITV have introduced.

Quite suprised about the change tho, I thought the money side of things would have prevented the Beeb ever getting F1 back again, or were ITV just not that keen to keep it?
I don't want Murray Walker back, he annouyed me at times as much as Jame Allen does.

Plus that time is long over now, bring in someone else.

And I think what we get to see is all down to the TV directors at whatever country the race is at, not the BBC or whoever else is showing it on TV.
#29 - MR_B
Quote from HVS5b :Quite suprised about the change tho, I thought the money side of things would have prevented the Beeb ever getting F1 back again, or were ITV just not that keen to keep it?

Yeah I didn't see this one listed on ebay! Must have slipped my "old crap on ebay" radar...

Did ITV not reach the reserve price? Did they look at Bernie's feedback and noticed it's a low 60%?
Quote from DieKolkrabe :+1

My list for what the BBC must do:

1) Get Murray in the box for some races

2) Drop James Allen

4) More onboard cameras

5) Less ad breaks

8) Overhaul the graphics

DK

AFAIK the overlays and decision for what's shown is made by the FIA, not the broadcaster.
Quote from Mazz4200 :
@The Duke, Martin Haven ?? i've no idea who that is to be honest, i'm so out of touch these days.....

Eurosport's WTCC commentator, he also did some early morning/middle of night coverage of BF3 and BGT.
"Race Of The Day", presented by Gary Lineker.

I think its brilliant they've got the contract, no more silly ads every 5 minutes!
No commentary please. For five or ten minutes at a time. Just stop filling the air with trivial pursuits nuggets and let me listen to the engines. Let me watch "the race" and trust me to understand what it means when a gap gets larger between two cars.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :+1

My list for what the BBC must do:

1) Get Murray in the box for some races

2) Drop James Allen

4) More onboard cameras

5) Less ad breaks

8) Overhaul the graphics

DK

Wait a second, you mean all the channels don't get the same stream. I probably think that because I'm in some nothingworth country for the F1-men.
Quote from Lible :Wait a second, you mean all the stations don't get the same stream. I probably think that because I'm in some nothingworth country for the F1-men.

No, the TV feed for the races is the same in all countries. It's just what the broadcasters do that is different.
This is a pleasure to hear. I "obtain" videos of ITV's coverage even though SpeedTV is available here. ITV's coverage has major issues, which shows just how bad SpeedTV is.

I was really disappointed when I watched Melbourne FP1 to see that ITV had kept that terrible "Lift Me Up" song and a very similar intro theme. It's just awful. Snakes crawling on bared shoulders, what the hell? Seems like they tried to make the whole presentation look as ridiculous as possible.

No more mid-race ad breaks is nice, but not huge for me. I don't mind a few two-minute breaks if the coverage is good, but it seems ITV made it a point to pick the worst possible times to go to a break.

The biggest boost for me will be getting rid of the incorrigible James Allen. He should stick to writing; at least when I read his columns I don't immediately feel ill.

With whom to replace him is a tougher matter though. As has already been said, bringing back an older, rusty commentator will probably not help matters. I like Murray Walker but he seemed out-of-touch 20 years ago.

To be honest I'd most like someone who knows when it's helpful to talk and when he should just shut up. 15-20 seconds of commentary so the audience knows what's going on, then be quiet and turn up the volume on the world feed for 30-40 seconds.

I'm going to go against the general sentiment expressed so far and say that I like Louise Goodman. She knows her stuff and does a really good job of finding drivers quickly after they retire. She's about ready to be put out to pasture though. The BBC should find a woman with her skills and knowledge, but who has the body and age of this fine fine specimen:

Their ratings would triple regardless of how good the racing was. Everybody wins!
I going to go against the grain here - I like James Allen, and want him to stay. I don't understand why everyone hates him. He's got a good voice and doesn't get in the way. Last year the whole "Lewis Hamilton, Lewis Hamilton, LEWIS HAMILTON!!!!!!!" thing drove me and the rest of the country to distraction ("Damon Hill never got this sort of attention") but on the whole I think he's done a good job as Murray's replacement.
Get the Top Gear team to commentate, would certainly make races more interesting
Quote from mythdat :Get the Top Gear team to commentate, would certainly make races more interesting

lol! Right I've changed my mind, as much as I like Mr Allen, that is the best idea I think I've ever heard.
Quote from Lateralus :I was really disappointed when I watched Melbourne FP1 to see that ITV had kept that terrible "Lift Me Up" song and a very similar intro theme. It's just awful. Snakes crawling on bared shoulders, what the hell? Seems like they tried to make the whole presentation look as ridiculous as possible.

I think it's supposed to be a James Bond inspired way of making it glamorous and sexy. I have to agree it doesn't really work.

I also have to agree that getting Melissa Theriaux to present would be a win for everyone. It seems unlikely though. But F1 is supposed to be glamorous and sexy (which it generally is, have you seen the women strolling around behind Steve "Rigid" Rider and Mark Blundell in the paddock?!), so I've no objections to the selection of any new female presenters being chosen on the basis of them being eye candy.
I like Louise Goodman :hide:
Quote from Lateralus :but who has the body and age of this fine fine specimen:

Unfortunately, Yasser Arafat is no longer available for media commitments.
Quote from nihil :Unfortunately, Yasser Arafat is no longer available for media commitments.

Quote from Lateralus :This is a pleasure to hear. I "obtain" videos of ITV's coverage even though SpeedTV is available here. ITV's coverage has major issues, which shows just how bad SpeedTV is.

It must be a grass is greener thing, what I have seen of SPEED's coverage is actually better than ITV.

Quote :I was really disappointed when I watched Melbourne FP1 to see that ITV had kept that terrible "Lift Me Up" song and a very similar intro theme. It's just awful. Snakes crawling on bared shoulders, what the hell? Seems like they tried to make the whole presentation look as ridiculous as possible.

Yes, bring back The Chain.

Quote :No more mid-race ad breaks is nice, but not huge for me. I don't mind a few two-minute breaks if the coverage is good, but it seems ITV made it a point to pick the worst possible times to go to a break.

Maybe it's because a lot of sports in the US have stoppages in play for the sole purpose of TV. Try watching the British NFL coverage, they just keep on cutting back to the studio as the US broadcaster produces the TV feed but it's not like FOM where they are considerate. I'm not watching it on ABC or whoever, I'm watching it on Channel bloody Five - which I can no longer record

Quote :The biggest boost for me will be getting rid of the incorrigible James Allen. He should stick to writing; at least when I read his columns I don't immediately feel ill.

With whom to replace him is a tougher matter though.

Martin Haven? Ben Edwards? SPEED's main commentator? I've forgotten his name but the guy that does Motorsport Mundial is quite good.
She should deffo present... blow suzi perry out of the water

Ben Edwards should commentate. I can't think of someone who has a more extensive knowledge of motor racing who commentates... and he enthusiasm isn't so annoying. He's knows his stuff
Quote from nihil :Unfortunately, Yasser Arafat is no longer available for media commitments.

bless you for cracking me up! ive had a shite day and that comment was BRILLIANT!

imo, Brundle IS F1 commentry. he has the knowledge, the humour and makes the race a pleasure to listen to.

im going to miss the advert breaks, its murder crossing your legs for 90 minutes and the wife goes nuts if i pee in a bottle.
Quote from Bawbag :I like Louise Goodman :hide:

Me too. And more importantly the drivers like her.

Quote from TomMK :I like James Allen, and want him to stay. I don't understand why everyone hates him.

BURN THE WITCH!
Damn you for posting a Melissa Theriaux pic, I keep coming back to this thread now
Quote from JO53PHS :There are NO adverts shown at any time on the BBC, which is one of the reasons why I prefer BBC programmes.

They do have adverts on the Beeb, but not interrupting ad breaks.

I think Damon Hill and Brundell in the box is a great combination, but Damon is the Chairman of the BRDC so has enough on his plate. But this is GREAT news!
Quote from The General Lee :They do have adverts on the Beeb, but not interrupting ad breaks.

Dunno what you're smoking , but the Beeb doesn't have any adverts. It's not allowed to. The likes of BBC America is different, afaik, as it is part of the BBC's commercial arm which doesn't fall under the BBC charter (I think), and thus isn't funded by licence money, and must be self-sustaining.
Quote from STROBE :Dunno what you're smoking , but the Beeb doesn't have any adverts. It's not allowed to. The likes of BBC America is different, afaik, as it is part of the BBC's commercial arm which doesn't fall under the BBC charter (I think), and thus isn't funded by licence money, and must be self-sustaining.

He means adverts for other BBC shows.

F1 returns to the BBC
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG