The online racing simulator
What do you think of Singapore?
(39 posts, started )
Hello this is the time where I can see other's opinion on my country, Singapore... There's reports of some BRITS tourists coming to Singapore and abuse our good customer service, such as the 2 Brits who came to Singapore and bullied a rickshaw rider. Poor uncle...

And reports of many foreigners saying Singapore is a 'FINE' city... Well, even us Singaporeans have to agree on that... Fining on this fining on that... Even speaking coarse language in public too loudly or infront of a police can land you on a fine.

So, this time I gonna let you guys speak your mind out of what do you think of Singapore.

I won't like any extreme language or EXTREME NOOB-I-NESS on here. Other than that, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM is welcomed...

P.S. Good thing is that Singapore has more Brits than ever who migrated here. They all said the taxes here are not as heavy as those in Britain. I'm not sure about this though. Inflation is comng and the prices around are certainly getting highly that one day my dad wouldn't be able to afford LFS S2 license
Wtf?

E: To contribute, I have no opinion of Singapore, I wouldn't even be able to locate it on a map without looking it up first.
:wtf2:
Luckily you aren't recieving many finnish tourists. Ask estonians what they think
Quote from Hyperactive :Luckily you aren't recieving many finnish tourists. Ask estonians what they think

LOL! Haha...Nice one there. Not many but there are. I bet no one in my class has ever heard of Finland or Estonia in their life up till now. Talk about Kosovo? Most people will just shake their heads.

Quote from AndroidXP :Wtf?

E: To contribute, I have no opinion of Singapore, I wouldn't even be able to locate it on a map without looking it up first.

To be honest you won't even be able to see Singapore on a world atlas because it's so small that it's smaller than a full-stop here. (I mean the size of a full-stop on a map) They have to put a bigger dot which labelled Singapore...
Quote from AndroidXP :Wtf?

Hmm wasn't too long ago aussie's got the same response and probably do still in some palces no matter, we would also struggle to locate most european countries too we are all the centre of our universe.

My opinion of Singapore well I've been there three or four times, first time in mid 80s, last time in the late 90's i guess.

Back in the eighties it was a great place to go shop, currency was about 2:1 then Now it's abit more even so not as great in that regard.

It's a small island with alot of people on it, rather than a large island with few people It's relatively clean considering and yes there seems to be alot of fines They say here in Australia if you analysed how many laws and rules govern us on our daily routine it is about 6,000, I'd say in Singapore it would be atleast double

The main street is a good place to go get a feed.
It has good public transport
And the 46th floor of the Western Stamford is a good place to through a bucket of water down onto the tennis court below an a fine sunny afternoon

Oh yeah it also rains in the afternoon without warning, which is fine for the locals as they all expect it but as a tourist it can mean you end up looking like a drowned rat, which I'd imagine looks quite comical in the lobby the Western Stanford
#7 - JJ72
My thought of Singapore.

1.very nice city, very modern, good nightlife, with some good cultural/historic monuments.

2.Not much people around, but hey I come from Hong Kong so everywhere else might seem under populated......

3.Weather is typically tropical, nothing I don't like though.

4.has an awesome night zoo.

5.A bit unsure about the people, they seem westernised but also a bit lost in their cultural roots, and in between different social segment the difference in value and lifestyle is quite apparent, diverse in one way but also a bit clustered? (just my opinion of course)

6.Rather cheap to live in.

7.very good road manner, but it seems you have to wait a decade to get a taxi.
Don't they have the death penalty in Singapore for possession of cannabis?

I used to know a guy from Singapore named Hayat (think his name was Noorhayat?), he was cool. Total stoner though.
#9 - X-Ter
I really liked that old TV series that took place in Singapore. It was called "Bring 'em back alive" if my memory serves me right.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't they have the death penalty in Singapore for possession of cannabis?

We do.
Im looking forward to the F1 race, even bought myself a grandstand seat.
Wow Alkanphel! Can tear your ticket in half? I'd like to go for the F1 on September too!

Anywayz, JJ72 is right about the taxi part. Waiting for TAXI in the city or even Orchard Road can take hours. My current record for waiting is 3 hours LoL...

Well looks like Singapore, a meanwhile small island, is so popular to others who have bigger countries, I have to agree.

And, since I'm young and I don't have a passport... When I get older, I will get myself one and guess what country am I gonna visit first. (You'd be astonished to hear the answer so better guess)
#12 - MR_B
antarctica?
Kosovo.
Maybe Estonia.
do you have a penalty for spitting bubble gums in the street?...
ive never been in Sinapore but that was what i heard in the news like 3 years ago
Quote from hiroshima guy :And, since I'm young and I don't have a passport... When I get older, I will get myself one and guess what country am I gonna visit first. (You'd be astonished to hear the answer so better guess)

My guess it will be Malaysia, no matter what your current intentions are due to how easy it is
Lived in Singapore for a short while as a kid when we had to leave Australia after living there for too long. (something about automatically becoming a citizen after X years so they could tax us) Spent 6 months there, but all i remember from then is that the hotel was next to a park with flying squirrels (cute animals) and we loved swimming early in the morning while it rained, then eating the best croissants I've ever tasted in the hotels lobby while our parents were still asleep.

Later i worked there for a year an a half and got to know the place a little bit better.
Not had a problem once and found the people to be friendly. Ultra clean streets, superb roads, great nightlife and ultra strict rules (ok as a foreigner, but living by those rules all my life would be annoying to me).
Healthcare is of top quality, very professional personnel and good drugstores. Lots of private clinics though and when i saw the bills the company paid for simple dental treatments or minor injuries....jowzers.
Never had the slightest problem catching a cab..but i guess the cabbies like white foreigners since they can extort them without them even realizing..we loved pushing the cabbies past their allowed speed though so the funny beeper went off, not just once ..we wanted to hear it the whole ride!

What is rather sad is that most average Singaporeans don't have that good a life. The government hoards all the money and makes life a dream for foreign companies, but most people live in extremely small flats, don't earn that much and can't afford all the luxery they see around them daily. I know this is a fact in every country, but in Singapore the gap between rich and normal, not even poor, is huuuge.
They do everything though to keep the money comming in.
Fe. -near orchard tower it's full of illegal immigrant prostitutes, but they only get arrested when they are alone...with a customer by their sides they aren't arrested since the customer would get punished too and most are ofcourse foreigners.
-a tiny car costing over 50k€ just to buy. Sure it helps prevent trafficjams and spices the statefunds with taxes, but it also makes sure only companies and the superrich can drive.
There are many more examples that show their leaders perverted kapitalism.

Also have a solid military for such a small country, superb quality material. Even their smallest coastguard and customs patrolboats are ace...basically a powerboat with 4engines and a nice cannon on the front.

Ps. if u ever go there ..don't ever think of quickly peeing in a plant on the way home at night or leaving a candypaper behind as u will quickly be 250€ poorer. And yes Chano, spitting bubblegum in public..or simply spitting spit has heavy fines imposed on it too.

edit : Oh and I bloody LOVE the weather! I was made and raised in all kinds of tropical or desert countries (both parents are Belgians and i was born here too, luckily we were back abroad by the time I was 3months old ) and i simply love heat...can't stand this cold chill weather in Belgium. Even found it makes a big difference in how open and friendly people are when u compare hot <=> colder climates..no matter how rich or poor they are.
Quote from Hankstar :Kosovo.
Maybe Estonia.

That ones is at the bottom of my travel list... Ok fine since many of you are thinking abit ambitiously... I'll tell you. SCOTLAND ,then, followed by WALES. If I get to go to Russia, I'll buy a couple of good-condition Mosin-Nagants or PPSH41s for the LFS devs for them to shoot at any crackers they can find :P

Malaysia is too dangerous for meh. SO many robbers and thugs. They might cut my throat and leave me dead on the streets... I won't want that. Antartica? Too ambitious! Kosovo and Estonia? Hmmm... I might consider Estonia but, Kosovo, bah, forget it. I might go there if I'm a journalist though, just like Tintin.

Quote from chanoman315 :do you have a penalty for spitting bubble gums in the street?...

ive never been in Sinapore but that was what i heard in the news like 3 years ago

And YES, we have penalties for spitting bubble/chewing gum at the wrong place. Btww Singapore banned the sale of chewing/bubble gums but you can import a certain amount of it from Malaysia, they won't make a noise, as long as you don't spit it anywhere else.
#18 - Woz
Quote from Woz :Public flogging

SIngapore Govt is not as barbaric as you think!
Is Singapore the country where virgin women aren't allowed to be in a same room with a man they don't know / are't related to? If so, is it the country, where there are goverment officials to " make the young virgins un-virgin", so they can be in a same room with strange men? And if so, how do you apply for such job?
Quote from hyntty :Is Singapore the country where virgin women aren't allowed to be in a same room with a man they don't know / are't related to? If so, is it the country, where there are goverment officials to " make the young virgins un-virgin", so they can be in a same room with strange men? And if so, how do you apply for such job?

I don't think it's true... That would be too unreasonable. If so, we weren't even be allowed to be in school! Sharing the same classroom, so what do you think?
Damn! Well, it's not like I would had money to travel anyway...
Quote from hyntty :Is Singapore the country where virgin women aren't allowed to be in a same room with a man they are't related to?

That would surprise me to no end, i'm even 99.9% sure i can outright say no. U are probably thinking of Saudi Arabia or another super strict islamic country where women aren't allowed to see unrelated men in public. But they don't have gov. officials deflower young girls so they can publicly meet strangers...pretty sure that's a fable being told in Finland by the self-loving rightwingers. In case i am wrong..please say which country does this together with a trusthworthy source.

Singapore does use flogging as a capital punishment though, but i think it's mainly(only?) for things like raping ,drugpossesion/sale or other severe crimes..again not public afaik. Relatives to the victims and supervizers might be allowed to watch it...but if u call that public then America does public exectutions.

Quote from hiroshima guy :

Malaysia is too dangerous for meh. SO many robbers and thugs. They might cut my throat and leave me dead on the streets... I won't want that.

Please DO travel to Malaysia and every other country u ever get the chance to travel to. If u don't put yourself at risk by going into the sleaziest bar in the worst neighbourhood u can find, drink too much and insult a few locals before u waggle home at night... the chance that u get robbed or worse is minimal. The image hung up by many richer and stricter countries about their neighbours/poor countries is often alot more negative then reality.
Heck we even have quite a few people in Belgium who claim Brussels is way way too dangerous and never set a foot in the capital if they can avoid it. Insane ,but thats what proper rightwing propaganda will put into some people's minds.
Go everywhere u can and form an opinion funded on your own experience. Live among the inhabitants too and be open to their way of life and u will see all people are/want the same ..don't lock yourselves away in some hotel with a private beach and gardens and then come back home telling how awful the people there are.

Ofcourse u are free to believe everything the media/politicians tell u, but don't expect it to be the outright truth. And yes I've lived in a few "dangerous countries" and never ran into problems that dont exist elsewhere. If u look after yourselves(fe dont go into the slums in Rio at night,etc) and are friendly to people just about everyone will be friendly in return.
Quote from Noccy :Go everywhere u can and form an opinion funded on your own experience. Live among the inhabitants too and be open to their way of life and u will see all people are/want the same ..don't lock yourselves away in some hotel with a private beach and gardens and then come back home telling how awful the people there are.

Ofcourse u are free to believe everything the media/politicians tell u, but don't expect it to be the outright truth. And yes I've lived in a few "dangerous countries" and never ran into problems that dont exist elsewhere. If u look after yourselves(fe dont go into the slums in Rio at night,etc) and are friendly to people just about everyone will be friendly in return.

Couldn't agree more, what is exactly so dangerous in Malaysia I ask this having lived and worked there for three years And that was in Borneo (Kota Kinabalu, Sabah)
Sigh I had a bad impression of Malaysia becuase one of my relatives was robbed and hacked by a group of thugs. So, you get me right? It's my feelings and impression of the place not propaganda, this is personal...

Anywayz China is a must-visit place for me because I'm Chinese and it's like a pilgrimage to my hometown. (Well not mine actually, my granpa's)

(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG