The online racing simulator
Round 5 Safety Car Period
All-

So, here's how I took care of the SC Period.

I scribbled down the order at the deployment. Then, I fast forwarded to the restart, and scribbled down that order. If your position changed between the two, I watched each person who did so through the entire SC period.

I ended up watching everyone but Taylor and hyntty.

Everyone else had some sort of contact during the SC period. This is unacceptable. If there's another SC Deployment in future, ANY contact will be met with a points penalty. 3 points for minor nudging, 6 for more major bumping, and loss of all points for that round for contact causing the contacted car to lose control.

The regulations say that you must keep between 2 and 5 car lengths between yourself and the car ahead of you during SC. Most times, I saw most at one car lentgh, or barely over.

And also, you don't have to go in complete single-file. Stagger a bit so you can see around the first car ahead. And ALWAYS ALWAYS be preparted to slow or even stop for what might happen ahead.

dekojester
#2 - TomMK
Treat 'em mean deko!

If you go back over the list of offenses that have been given penalties you get this list

Avoidable incident
Deliberate aggression
Chat (minor/major)
Shortcutting course to gain position
Name not on numberplate
Not giving place back that was gained illegally
Leaving early
Ignoring red flag
Overtaking during yellow flag
Not keeping up during SC
Overtaking during SC
Poor driving during SC
Too close during SC

So you lot have pretty much broken every rule in the book. Well it's what they're there for...

Of those above, only "avoidable incident" is ambiguous. The rest should have clearly defined penalties as you have done for SC periods.
Good idea Taylor! and sorry for starting the sc period
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :What do think about giving the racing laps back to us for the laps under a safety car? I know some real world series do this & I think it'd be a good idea to do the same for the BC, considering how much we have/do/will see the safety car.
So if it's out for two laps add two laps to the total racing laps left..whatcha think about that?

So, essentialy make it so that SC laps do not count ?

If everyone is keen on this, I have nothing against it. Fuel would be the only concern, just add more at the start !

d
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :What do think about giving the racing laps back to us for the laps under a safety car? I know some real world series do this & I think it'd be a good idea to do the same for the BC, considering how much we have/do/will see the safety car.
So if it's out for two laps add two laps to the total racing laps left..whatcha think about that?

+1, because Its boring to spend say 25% of the race behind the safety car
#6 - TomMK
For short races like these that makes a great deal of sense. Good suggestion I think. Is it easy to do mid-race?
If SC stints are kept to the bare minimum (1 lap should be plenty for the majority of situations), then I think it's fine the way it is. But looking at what happened in Round 2 for instance, the amount of SC laps there was far too much...

What about this: If SC laps is greater than say, 20% (or whatever) of the total race distance, then the laps are given back. Otherwise, if SC laps is less than 20% of race distance, then they count...

Does that make sense?
Some people use 75% to full throttle and then go 100% brakes (locking the tires) and they repeat this pattern during the entire safety lap. You should never be 100% throttle or 100% brakes during the safety lap. I thought they might be using the mouse or keyboard but they're using a wheel.... pedals are analog - they aren't simply on or off.

Also we should follow some other leagues and disallow warming up the tires during safety laps. The only thing it does is cause incidents.
#9 - J@tko

+1 from me.

Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :

T
/laps X
Enter

I thought it was
T
/laps=X
Enter

EDIT: Works either way

Quote from Technique :
Also we should follow some other leagues and disallow warming up the tires during safety laps. The only thing it does is cause incidents.

I noticed that too.

I tried to warm my tyres but I just ended up nearly spinning and restarting with ice cold tyres. Not good at Turn 2
So, here's what I'm thinking.

The first lap of the SC period will be counted agianst the total laps. Each lap after will be added to the race distance.

For example, round 5 would have ended up as 11 laps instead of 10.

Will this work ?

d
Quote from dekojester :So, here's what I'm thinking.

The first lap of the SC period will be counted agianst the total laps. Each lap after will be added to the race distance.

Will this work ?

d

+1. Exactly what I was thinking.
Quote from dekojester :So, here's what I'm thinking.

Will this work ?

d

This rule should work okay, but you must set a maximum lap limit, so people know what fuel loads to put in...say 3 laps on top of race distance.
Quote from Marlbro :This rule should work okay, but you must set a maximum lap limit, so people know what fuel loads to put in...say 3 laps on top of race distance.

That's the figure I'm thinking about how to set.

Will probably be no more than half the race distance. Giving it thought tonight. Will let y'all know tommorow.

d
Sounds good but half a race can be fatal for some and can change laptimes :P I'd say 2 laps should be the top max to be added do to safety laps.
What if there are several safety car periods?

Simplest way is to give back all SC laps. Everyone knows where they stand then.
Quote from TomMK :What if there are several safety car periods?

Simplest way is to give back all SC laps. Everyone knows where they stand then.

Yes, but if there is 3 extra SC laps, and then the race laps on top of that, you end up with not enough fuel.

Of course, this won't be a problem for me, I always throw in an extra 5 - 10% than what's needed...just in case
http://www.lfsigtc.net/rules/rules.html#j

If you want help making a rule set for SC periods you can look there. We have had over a years worth of experience with safety cars and at this point i feel we have met a decent standard. As long as the rules are enforced they will be followed.

@ adding laps on for SC periods. I disagree. If your league is only a sprint series then there no point in SC periods really, only for a race start if anything. I would only use SC periods for races lasting at least 30 mins or more.
Quote from BenjiMC :If your league is only a sprint series then there no point in SC periods really, only for a race start if anything. I would only use SC periods for races lasting at least 30 mins or more.

I would tend to agree (but having been only a spectator this series can't really comment with any authority). However, deko, our race director, likes using SC's, so giving back the laps seems logical and fair.

As for extra fuel consumption, just stick an extra 15% in the tank, or, if you're man enough, take the gamble .
Theres a point with no sc periods though cos ppl shud jst b allowed telespec(with the exceptions of south city because its a street circuit or maybe even fern bay cos thats pretty tight)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG