The online racing simulator
#1 - Ilpav
Get Rid of The Fuel Percentage...
and do it with liters instead. I mean when your setting up your car, there's a scale from 0% (or 5%)-100% that you can choose for the amount of fuel that you want. How about putting a scale from 0 (or 5) liters-the maximum amount of liters the car's tank can hold? And while your racing of you press F12 you get a readout of how much percent of fuel you waste per lap and how much percent is left. I think it would be a lot more interesting to actually see the the amount of liters that are left in the tank and how much liters you waste per lap.

How about that?
-
(e2mustang) DELETED by e2mustang
#2 - Woz
+1

There are various things like this. Gears should be set by number of teeth on the cogs etc
+1 only if gallons are available as well.
+1 thats a good idea
of course. But I've actually gotten used to the metric speedo. Even though I have no idea what exact speed im going, I know in the pits that its less than 80
Quote from flymike91 :of course. But I've actually gotten used to the metric speedo. Even though I have no idea what exact speed im going, I know in the pits that its less than 80

You do know that you can change the speedometer from kph to mph in the settings don't you?
:homersimp DOH!!

As I'll be doing a driving test soon, I've had to get used to a km/h speedo in LFS

I think the fuel suggestion would be a good idea, and if the F12 fuel menu was gotten rid of, it would also be better. There's a fuel gauge in all of the cars, if you want to know how much fuel you're using, just look at that...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :There's a fuel gauge in all of the cars, if you want to know how much fuel you're using, just look at that...

It is so tiny that I can't read it. Do I have 5% or 10% fuel left, only God knows...
You must have one small-ass screen

I play on either a 19" or 16" monitor (depends on where I am), and 90 FOV. I can see it fairly well, within maybe 3% of what it actually is. The solution is to zoom in when you want to see it, as a real driver would do, by moving their head...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :You must have one small-ass screen

I play on either a 19" or 16" monitor (depends on where I am), and 90 FOV. I can see it fairly well, within maybe 3% of what it actually is. The solution is to zoom in when you want to see it, as a real driver would do, by moving their head...

I have 15" tft (LoL. But can't get rid of this. Do you realize how much these costed many many years ago? ) and FOV 90 degrees. And I have even put my view as close as dashboard as possible. Still, it isn't clear enough to have any use. Sure, I can look if I have 20% or 45% left, but that is not precise enough...
Hmm, you have a point...btw, how can you drive the FBM with that size screen? I can barely see the speed and fuel on my 19"
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Hmm, you have a point...btw, how can you drive the FBM with that size screen? I can barely see the speed and fuel on my 19"

Isn't it obvious; I don't drive FBM (I am not a big fan of one-seaters. I prefer road cars instead).

Going to buy three 24" widescreens soon, tho. :P
LOL...I quite like my 19" though I can watch TV and play PS3 on it too
Quote from Woz :+1

There are various things like this. Gears should be set by number of teeth on the cogs etc

I've purchased a handful of ring and pinion sets and concerned myself with transmission gearing ratios as well. Off-roaders are more involved with gearing ratios than the on-road scene; which is not to say it isn't important for cars as well. I've never purchased-by, or cared how many teeth are on which gears. I've never seen it even mentioned except in over-the-top tech articles that are concerned with how to fit some absurd ratio into an existing platform.

The Ratio style listing for gearing ratios is very appropriate.

Considering percentage is all you are concerned with in the fuel department I'd say the choice they made there is fine as well. Most fuel gauges give readings in Percentages. Either way works I guess, race teams probably wouldn't go by the gauge when estimating fuel use so much as taking difference of fuel that had to be refilled. Six of one half dozen of the other. Want to estimate a figure? Estimate it back to liters; they give you the total tank volume. LOL
#17 - Woz
Quote from GobLox :I've purchased a handful of ring and pinion sets and concerned myself with transmission gearing ratios as well. Off-roaders are more involved with gearing ratios than the on-road scene; which is not to say it isn't important for cars as well. I've never purchased-by, or cared how many teeth are on which gears. I've never seen it even mentioned except in over-the-top tech articles that are concerned with how to fit some absurd ratio into an existing platform.

The Ratio style listing for gearing ratios is very appropriate.

Considering percentage is all you are concerned with in the fuel department I'd say the choice they made there is fine as well. Most fuel gauges give readings in Percentages. Either way works I guess, race teams probably wouldn't go by the gauge when estimating fuel use so much as taking difference of fuel that had to be refilled. Six of one half dozen of the other. Want to estimate a figure? Estimate it back to liters; they give you the total tank volume. LOL

The trouble with the current gear option is that its just too flexible. In reality you might pick gears by ratio's but then there will only be a few ratios you can pick.

You will not be able to adjust by 0.0001 steps like LFS. Guess that was more I was getting at. So if they are in ratios it should work on teeth internally and work out the ratio for display, that will give realistic options and steps
But surely by changing each individual cog, a fairly precise ratio can be calculated? Not 0.0001 like LFS, I agree, but I'm sure that racing cars can be modified to increments/decrements of 0.01 at least?
About 0.2 is as close as you'd get with 'off the shelf' ratios in a race 'box.
Putting the fuel into litres rather than percentage does bring a small issue with accuracy - if a car has a large fuel tank, you can be pretty accurate with how much fuel you're putting in, but with a smaller tank you're losing quite a bit of accuracy. Those who concern themselves with saving as much weight as possible might not like the idea of losing that bit of precision.

Using decimal places could work, I guess, but then you might have a bit of an issue using a fairly small slider to get a round number if you want one. Halves seem to be a good idea, with the slider going from 25.0 to 25.5, then 26.0 et cetera. I'm just thinking out loud here.

The most likely reason the fuel is set by percentage is that a percentage can be carried over between cars, and still be about right for the same distance - there are, of course, exceptions, but generally less economical cars have bigger tanks, and so a percentage set in a car with a smaller tank won't be too far out. A very general rule, yeah, but it still exists.

Then there's the thought of what you do when there's, say, 80 litres in the tank of an FO8 and you select an FBM. The FO8 was nowhere near full, but the FBM would be way over the maximum, so what the hell does the gauge set to? If anything, it would use the percentage to decide. Isn't that where we started?

Sam
Well, the fuel would probably spill out IRL, which in LFS would mean that it would change to whatever the FBM tank can hold...

The fuel is fine in percentage, I don't want to calculate how much my tank can hold, how much I use per lap, how much I should put in, etc. IRL, there would probably be a team of technician guys to tell me that...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Well, the fuel would probably spill out IRL, which in LFS would mean that it would change to whatever the FBM tank can hold...

The fuel is fine in percentage, I don't want to calculate how much my tank can hold, how much I use per lap, how much I should put in, etc. IRL, there would probably be a team of technician guys to tell me that...

Wrong. It would be just like now. You know how much fuel your tank can take (Be it 75 liters or 100%...) and you know how much you burn every lap (Be it 0.9 liters or 1.8%...). If you want that you can do 10 laps before pitting, you would have to do some math (Be it 10 times 0.9 liters or 10 times 1.8%). After that math, you get the result (Be it 9 liters or 18%).

Got it?
Quote from Dark Elite :Putting the fuel into litres rather than percentage does bring a small issue with accuracy - if a car has a large fuel tank, you can be pretty accurate with how much fuel you're putting in, but with a smaller tank you're losing quite a bit of accuracy. Those who concern themselves with saving as much weight as possible might not like the idea of losing that bit of precision.

Using decimal places could work, I guess, but then you might have a bit of an issue using a fairly small slider to get a round number if you want one. Halves seem to be a good idea, with the slider going from 25.0 to 25.5, then 26.0 et cetera. I'm just thinking out loud here.

The most likely reason the fuel is set by percentage is that a percentage can be carried over between cars, and still be about right for the same distance - there are, of course, exceptions, but generally less economical cars have bigger tanks, and so a percentage set in a car with a smaller tank won't be too far out. A very general rule, yeah, but it still exists.

Then there's the thought of what you do when there's, say, 80 litres in the tank of an FO8 and you select an FBM. The FO8 was nowhere near full, but the FBM would be way over the maximum, so what the hell does the gauge set to? If anything, it would use the percentage to decide. Isn't that where we started?

Sam

As I said, each car should have their own slider that goes up to its own limit. For example, XF GTI has a tank that goes up to 45 L, so the slider would only go up to 45 L. If you choose the Formula V8 with a tank that holds 125 L, the slider would go to 125 L. Each car should have their own slider.
...And amount of fuel should be in a setup, not as an universal slider.
Quote from Ilpav :As I said, each car should have their own slider that goes up to its own limit. For example, XF GTI has a tank that goes up to 45 L, so the slider would only go up to 45 L. If you choose the Formula V8 with a tank that holds 125 L, the slider would go to 125 L. Each car should have their own slider.

It would be a waste of time to make different sliders for all the cars. And if it wwould be a general slider then you couldn't adjust the amount of fuel in the smaller tanks as accurately.

A 45 litre tank is a full tank whether it's filled up to 100% or with 45 litres.

@Gekkibi
That would make things a bit easier for those who have a set for every track. And different sets for qualifying, short races and long races.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG