The online racing simulator
Button Problems
(75 posts, started )
I generally tend to avoid these threads these days, but I feel I have to post as I keep seeing you guys totally overreacting to Sun. I think you should give the kid a break, as all this stuff has been explained to him many times before, but ultimately he just seems to be happy doing what he's doing. If he's happy and, really, he's not hurting anyone, then just let him be. If you can help him then help him, if you cannot help, or he does not want/understand the help, then do what I (normally) do and just not post here. Anyway I'm not having a go at you guys or Sun or anyone, but it's pretty clear that after all these months we're not really helping by reacting with these posts. Hopefully in the future when he's a little bit older and more experienced, he'll appreciate the advice herein and its method of delivery, but at the moment I think it'll be best for all if we lighten up a little.

Edit: I think I need to make it clear my post was not targeted at blackbird, sorry if it comes across that way. It was more about the general attutide to Suns posts that I was commenting on. Anyway feel free to ignore what I'm saying, I was just expressing a thought I've had a few times over the last couple of weeks.
I hope my posts. all of them, don't sound as harsh as it seems to have come across to you because I am really trying to help him. It would be in his best interest to start with a tiny project rather than a cruise system. I have stated, more harshly then I should perhaps, that I won't give him code to copy and paste or anything of the such. But I am trying to lead him in the right direction. Anyways, I am not intending to sound like I am picking on him or anything like that I am just trying to lead him to a softer learning curve... But yea he will follow or not and thats his choice.
Oh yeah, of course, and you are completely right in your advice. It's something all beginners programmers should try follow. As I said I'm not having a go and certainly I'm not trying to discourage anyone from helping. It's just after having seen this same basic discussion ongoing in threads such as these for the last couple of months, I question how helpful our programmer 'teach a man to fish' help is to Sun. Not much, it seems...
#54 - sun
i have answers.

Yes i will follow what you tell me.
I will learn.
i'am going to read that C# book at school and i dont care what the teacher says (done it before).

And The_angry_angel

he's helped me alot over the pass couple of days. But i got to say a very great thanks to dougie-lampkin. He has helped me RIGHT from the beggining of 'How do i make an InSim'.

Thanks guys for your help.
Quote from sun :i'am going to read that C# book at school and i dont care what the teacher says (done it before).

sun, please don't skimp on stuff at school to do this or other projects.
I'm happy that most of my classes are computer classes, where I have freedom to do this sort of stuff
I dont even goto school im too old tho, not because im lazy
#58 - sun
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm happy that most of my classes are computer classes, where I have freedom to do this sort of stuff

LMAO! usully when the teacher isnt looking i do some code
I could sit there all day coding if I so pleased. He doesn't care if kids skip classes to be in his classroom, so I could go there all day and code.
My school is too poor for computers and my laptop would get robbed if I brought it in, so I can't do anything in school
#61 - Woz
Quote from sun :ok.

its fun the problem solving but my insim app keeps timing out and thats NOT FUN !

infact its p****** me off because its been doing it for months. I have a great clue that it might be i have a prblem in the code in the NCN packets.

does any one know ?

You will soon learn that programming P***** you off a lot because there are always bugs and problems in code.

Just wait until you start trying to protect against idiot users pressing the wrong buttons at the wrong times or using your program in ways you never expected and hence crash your code

tic-tac-toe, as mentioned by others, is an idea starter.

You dont even have to worry about render of the game at all, just try and make 2 computer players play against each other in memory data structures. Let them play 100 games and display the results. If you can get that working you will have learnt ALL you need to problem solving and language wise and the insim app will feel less of a fight

Tip: You will only need to create the code for one computer player if your program is created correctly because you use the same code for both players.

TBH I would hate to be new to software today. I started back in 1981 when things were very simple. Nowdays people have to learn huge APIs to get anything done while they try and learn to program as well.

To my mind I believe anyone new to coding is better off learning how to throw together objects and manipulate them until they are fully comfortable with the language before they jump into complexities of game dev. That way you have a good ground knowledge that makes spotting silly mistakes second nature.

HTH
Quote from Woz :
TBH I would hate to be new to software today. I started back in 1981 when things were very simple. Nowdays people have to learn huge APIs to get anything done while they try and learn to program as well.

Well, that's true I guess, but back in 1981 you didn't have the Web and the endless supply of resources, references, news group and forum posts we all enjoy . Plus of course the tools available today are much more advanced. I don't think it's really harder, maybe just the same level of difficulty, but in a different way.

Quote :To my mind I believe anyone new to coding is better off learning how to throw together objects and manipulate them until they are fully comfortable with the language before they jump into complexities of game dev. That way you have a good ground knowledge that makes spotting silly mistakes second nature.

I do agree with this. A few years ago, after I had been casually programming for a while, I started to try to learn game development. I managed to get on reasonably well, I had a scrolling level and a little animated guy who could jump about, but it took so long and required so much effort to reach that point, that I decided that I just wasn't ready to take game programming on and I needed to go back to making Windows apps to develop my skills. It's still my ultimate goal to write my own videogame, and (like everybody) I have a really good idea for one, but only now, after several years of work, am I getting to the point where I feel I could make a reasonably good attempt at it.

But hey, I've only been programming seriously for a few years now, so I still feel like I have an infinite amount of things to learn. If you want a hobby that can easily occupy you for the rest of your life, programming is the way to go.
DarkTimes, out of intrest, are you gonna do it in C#?
Yeah, I would use XNA. C# is the language I know best and XNA is well suited to the style of 2D game I want to make.
Well..The only problem i see with that. I cant find a XNA version for Visual C# 2008, unless your hiding something :hide:

Ive been tempted to play with XNA myself tbh, but seen as i found the above error, i got this instead.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/

Only problem is that its C++...
Quote from Woz :TBH I would hate to be new to software today. I started back in 1981 when things were very simple. Nowdays people have to learn huge APIs to get anything done while they try and learn to program as well.

OOooh when I were a lad, 'ed to learn to malloc memory.

Malloc?! You were lucky!

And so the At Last../Python joke continues.. I have the feeling I've lost a lot of the younger readers for the subforum there though
Muhahaha, We have just hijacked a thread

And TAA talking like that, you sound 50 years old +
Quote from the_angry_angel :OOooh when I were a lad, 'ed to learn to malloc memory.

Malloc?! You were lucky!

And so the At Last../Python joke continues.. I have the feeling I've lost a lot of the younger readers for the subforum there though

You had it easy. When I 're a lad I had to get up half an hour before I went to sleep!!

etc etc...

It's the rule of the Internet, given enough time every topic on programming eventually dissolves into Python, it's inevitable.
#69 - sun
Right i'am going to say this ONCE AND ONLY! dont go off topic

right i come home frm school and i loaded C# opened XNA i thought i'd make a game, and somthing americal happend. All this code came coming to me, and when i tryed my first game it Worked !

I was so amazed.
You mean we've now classified Console.WriteLine("Hello World"); as a game?

I kid, if it's true, good for you sun. Last night I was bored so I started working with iTunesLib + C# + LFS_External, I setup a timer that updated my current song into a button (a la iTunes+LFS).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :You mean we've now classified Console.WriteLine("Hello World"); as a game?

I kid, if it's true, good for you sun. Last night I was bored so I started working with iTunesLib + C# + LFS_External, I setup a timer that updated my current song into a button (a la iTunes+LFS).

I shall sue for taking my ideas
I haven't done clickable buttons yet...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I haven't done clickable buttons yet...

LOL, ok, btw congrats on 4,000 posts forum whore!
What, I spam that much?! Nonsense.
#75 - sun
ol, i've not done any clickable buttons either... i can do them but cba Razz

Button Problems
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG