The online racing simulator
Only one real-life track
(178 posts, started )
I would vote for Nürburgring Nordschleife, too. One lap on it with FZR - that would be funny.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's too scary venturing that far north where public tossing is encouraged.

I hope yer referring to our caber fetish

It's a craking track to race on, done a few track days there in the past.
its definitely not boring!! i was there early 90`s, around the time the BMW 3 series changed shape. it was chucking it down, awesome races!!! best view point is at the last corner. if they include it, the devs should make it a wet race, always seems to rain
Any of the following in this order:

1. Spa
2. Bathurst
3. Zandvoort
4. Knockhill
5. Castle-Combe
Laguna Seca and prob silverstone

The ring would be way to big for this game tho i guess they could do cut down versions.
Laguna Sega would be pure hell in Live For Speed. It would be horrible. All those elevation and that killer - hill - chicane would beat the crap out of half of the field. Omg, think of the mayhem and frustration an extremely technical track like that would offer
Quote from The Very End :Laguna Sega would be pure hell in Live For Speed. It would be horrible. All those elevation and that killer - hill - chicane would beat the crap out of half of the field. Omg, think of the mayhem and frustration an extremely technical track like that would offer

You must be quite a pussy.

I wouldnt like Laguna Seca, it's in too many racing games

Donnington was good fun in TOCA 1 on PS1
Quote from niall09 :You must be quite a pussy.

I wouldnt like Laguna Seca, it's in too many racing games

Donnington was good fun in TOCA 1 on PS1

Oh shut it, I`m not a pussy
I would love that track, but I know that most of the LFS community aren`t techical good enough drivers for a track like that.
Quote from tristancliffe :I still think a decent model of Combe would sort the men from the boys. Deceptively difficult track. Cadwell would be a great addition to a sim too. As would either Spa or Suzuka.

But I maintain my views on a track needing to be a lot more accurate than either anything we've seen before or any of the cars. The track is the 'constant', but cars are the variable. It doesn't matter what car you put on it (as long as it obeys vaguely correct laws of physics), but having bumps, cambers and kerbs in just the right places changes a track from a mere representation (i.e. no better than make believe) to a recreation of the difficulties of a circuit (i.e. yet to be seen in a racing sim with real life tracks).

I assume you are refering to Castle Combe out towards Bristol? I've ridden a bike round that track, nasty. Fast, but bumpy too.

I haven't actually driven a car around any track but I have ridden a bike around a few and my faves are Brands Hatch full GP circuit and Donnington Park full GP.
I'm also voting for VIR, but I'd like also to see Infineon Raceway or Bathurst.
Here's a map of Infineon:
Quote from gezmoor :I assume you are refering to Castle Combe out towards Bristol? I've ridden a bike round that track, nasty. Fast, but bumpy too.

I certainly am! I love it. Over Avon Rise into Quarry is a proper man's corner (I'm rubbish at it), and Camp is really tricky, with not a lot of run off when you get it wrong. Even the chicanes are quite nice (for chicanes).
Quote from tristancliffe :I certainly am! I love it. Over Avon Rise into Quarry is a proper man's corner (I'm rubbish at it), and Camp is really tricky, with not a lot of run off when you get it wrong. Even the chicanes are quite nice (for chicanes).

Well I'm biased as I've only ridden it twice, the first time was my first ever track experience and I bottled quarry half way round, touched the front brake, bike stood up and off on to the grass I went. Luckily didn't actually hit anything and dropped it relatively gently only cracking the fairing. I remember it being a pretty scarey experience, though second time I went was a lot better.

If you want a real mans corner then Paddock hill bend is hard to beat IMHO, (well on a bike it is anyway). Over a rise on to an off camber down hill bend with gravel waiting if you screw up, scarey stuff on a bike.
Yup Paddock is right up there too - fabulous corner, and really tricky to get right. Last year I was racing against a 2001 Dallara and had it all crossed up on the entry in my attempts to get by him. I got him though, into Druids. Eventually he spun off in Paddock trying to keep up with me!!

He claims he wasn't happy with his seat, which might go some way to explain why a modern F3 car, at normal ride heights, with a more powerful F3 engine and a more experienced driver got trounced by a shit driver (me) in a shit car.

Cadwell is supposed to have a really good corner or two (though I can't remember the names), as is Oulton.

I don't like Rockingham, and it hasn't got what I'd call a 'great' corner. I'd imagine the old first chicane was pretty hairy, but I never used it.
This is the one i want - bonus points to whoever can name it
Attached images
track.jpg
Woo I'm glad my suggestion got popular

But yes it is a good track to race on. And to spectate at. Been many times

Quote from Dajmin :It is home after all

If we get the chance to have Knockhill and rain in LFS...
the top gear test track
any1?
That would be nice, but it would need something extra to make it interesting to race on.
Nordschleife, in spite of the fact that there's a version of it in almost every other racing sim, I still like that track.

< top gear test track

It's a converted airbase in Dunsfold Park, UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_Test_Track

Other than Top Gear's usage of the track, I'm not sure it's that great a track.
bathurst or the ring
It's going to be funny when Scawen gets on here and says "will you guys shut up already, I'm not adding any tracks!"

As much as I'd love to see a real life track (couVIRgh), I think in reality we have plenty. It's funny that it seems like mostly S1 tracks are used on the servers anyway. Developer time is probably better spent tweaking the physics at this point.
Quote from FighterD :I'm also voting for VIR, but I'd like also to see Infineon Raceway or Bathurst.
Here's a map of Infineon:

Pit (main) section looks a lot like Westhill
There isn't a track at Bathurst, it's a street circuit. That is, it's just the normal roads around Bathurst that they rope off for race day. Any other day, it has normal traffic on it.

The track isn't owned by a company or club etc, they are just public roads. The buildings are also on Public land which is administered by the Bathurst city council and then rented out to the different race clubs that use the track.

Legally, you wouldn't need to get their permission to use the track layout, nor to use the name 'Bathurst'.
The track name is actually Mount Panorama, not Bathurst. Bathurst is the actual region name, but the circuit is on Mount Panorama.

The circuit is administered by Bathurst Regional Council, so it would do well to consult them if the track is to be incorporated into LFS.

While I don't think the name Mount Panorama is under any copyright or trademark (it probably can't be under law), the rights to the actual circuit itself might be reserved.

Only one real-life track
(178 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG