The online racing simulator
Nvidia 171.16 drivers, performance improvment.
Some nVidia beta drivers, version 171.16 were recently leaked. I had installed these to try to sort out some image quality problems with Netkar Pro and, much to my surprise, found that my framerate in Live For Speed had doubled.

Now, it's possible I had something misconfigured before and I should have been getting higher framerates with the older drivers, but I doubt it. With the same settings I always use, my framerate at Kyoto GP Long went from varying between typically 80's but falling into the 60's at particular points to between 110-200, averaging around 150.

This is with just me on the track hotlapping, both driving in the cockpit and viewing a replay from the track cams. I haven't tried it yet in traffic, but I imagine I'm more CPU limited there.

I have an Geforce 6800 128meg AGP on an Athlon XP 2800. I play at 1024x768 4xAA 8xAF High Quality. I hope this can benefit people like me who's computers are getting elderly. Any improvements may also be specific to the 6000 series though- there is no way I would know.

Keep in mind, these are leaked betas and there are certainly some issues with them. The only thing I've noticed is that they force your GPU fan to run at 100% all the time. You need to adjust it in Rivatuner. Also, the Control Panel (which is new, and pretty nice), takes a bit to load up- particularly the first time. I'm sure there are other issues as well, I recommend reading up on them a little first.

I don't want to link to them because they're leaked and that would be naughty. You will find them if you do a google search for "171.16 nvidia beta download."

Apologies if this has been brought up already, I couldn't find it.
Quote from AeroMechanical :framerate in Live For Speed had doubled.

Now, it's possible I had something misconfigured before

The most probable logical explanation. Driver changes rarely double your framerate.
Yeah, I thought that too. I can't figure out what it is though. I'm not using profiles, I have gone back and forth amongst these and two other sets of drivers 162.18 and 94.24 both of which I had the same lower framerate in.

All of the settings in the control panel and everything RivaTuner allows you to modify is the same and I've tried it with and without Rivatuner installed for each driver.

That is a very substantial improvment, I've never seen anything like it before, but I'm stumped as to what the difference is. As far as I can tell, the image quality is the same.

Also, doubled may be a slight exaggeration. I have no hard figures for the framerate averages, it's just based on watching a replay and estimating. It's notably smoother, but there is also the possibility that, since these are beta drivers, the way frame-rate reporting is implemented is screwed up.

Either way, I'm pretty jazzed.
I'm using the 169.28 drivers, I got the force AA to work on them. The 171.16 driver was way too unstable for me, I would get random BSOD's, especially in LFS.
#5 - MR_B
Last time I installed the 169 drivers my computer decided it could only cope with 4 colours, and would refused to accept resolutions above 640X480...
Quote from h3adbang3r :I'm using the 169.28 drivers, I got the force AA to work on them. The 171.16 driver was way too unstable for me, I would get random BSOD's, especially in LFS.

How? I'm on .21s (XP) and don't have any AA. TDU wouldn't react too, even though it was set to 4x from inside the game!!
I have 169.21 (8800GTS 512) and I admit there is something really odd with the profiles. At first I couldn't get any AA or AF, but then I managed to somehow make it add AA and AF, but I really cannot say how much.

In global settings I have AA=application controlled, AF=application controlled. So to my understanding I shouldn't get any AA/AF if the app doesn't support changing them (and if the profiles don't work). Now in LFS profiles (drivers) I have 16/16Q and I get some AA/AF, but I really don't know where it comes from. If I try to get AA off with the LFS profiles I cannot

I have some other problem with ZoneAlarm, so I suspect the drivers are bit buggy. Every time a ZA warning box comes to front it makes games crash (actually gfx drivers, but when it hangs, so does the game) and windows goes back to 640x480, 16 colors

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG