The online racing simulator
#1 - lerts
is there any danger in left foot braking?
long ago i played a f1 game in which i set brake in a button in the whhel, one day as i was driving for real for an instant as i wanted to brake i searched for the button in the wheel

is there any danger that driving more in the game than in reality i end up in reality trying to brake stepping on the clutch?
No, because games are games, and reality is reality. If you are SO stupid to try and panic brake using a button on your steering wheel then you clearly need professional help. I left foot brake AND right foot brake in LFS (not at the same time), and I do both in real life too, quite happily.

By the way, left foot braking is NOT setting a button on your wheel as a brake. That's button braking, and only works in crappy F1 games that you play.
When i was driving my father's car,i wanted to look back and i find myself trying to push both upper buttons like with DFP, but soon i recognized that i'm sitting in real car and holding the wheel with no buttons except horn.
Quote from NiTRo_SvK :When i was driving my father's car,i wanted to look back and i find myself trying to push both upper buttons like with DFP,

Did you really?

I was trying to be optimistic, but I didn't realise how many idiots there really are out there....
#5 - axus
Well, once brake heat is implemented in LFS, if your driving style is heavily reliant on left-foot braking you'll end up heating the brakes at the drive wheels more than others but that's about it.

EDIT: Oh, I only now managed to decypher the original post. Refer to Tristan's posts.
I don't LFB in my real car, because I simply have no feel for it whatsoever. No problem in LFS, but when I try it for real it always ends with very abrupt and rough braking attempts. It's also not really needed, the only excuse for doing it at all would be if you drive an automatic.
shame that when you crash in rl you cant just beam to the pit and have a new car.
Quote from andybarsblade :shame that when you crash in rl you cant just beam to the pit and have a new car.

There's a solution: dont crash

I left foot brake in LFS, because i have DFP and only 2 pedals, but in real car without clutch pedal...umm i can do both. RFB and LFB.
I heard that Live for Speed was a conspiracy with Logitech to train lerts to brake with his left foot in emergencies. Eventually he'll die in a road accident and nobody will suspect them.
someone find out these guys real names, and a)take their licenses away or b)stay the hell away from country
Left foot braking is a skill that takes no time to get used to - and its invaluable in most racing disciplines.

If you cannot do it then you have a disadvantage in most cases.

It feels very very strange for a short while, but soon you don't notice you are doing it (I run with a G25).

With the FZR, I only use the clutch when moving from a standstill, so when racing I can manage brake with my left foot and blip the gas with my right foot when changing gear.
hey guys take it easy i ask a question seriously because im concern about safety

if nobody here has trouble in real life messing the clutch with the brake cause left foot braking in the game i dont see why i should

im like you, we are all made of dust
besides with your rudeness you spoiled the chance of people to be honest and tell how they confuse commands in game and real life

now i bet nobody else admits sometimes they got confused
It's just that our dust is organised sensibly, allowing us to have thoughts, whereas yours are arranged randomly and gause bursts of incredible madness. You aren't like us at all.

Can you post somewhere else? I'm sure there is a forum for someone like you, but it's not here. This is about LFS. Live for Speed. The computer game, not telekinesis theories.
Quote from tristancliffe :I was trying to be optimistic, but I didn't realise how many idiots there really are out there....

Never underestimate the amount of complete tools there are wandering this planet.

Try being a little more pessimistic, then when good things happen it a bonus
unlike the rest of these goons i'll be nice

I dont see drawback for LFB in LFS. Having only 2 pedals myself and not having to worry about brake heat it's only natural. I tried RFB as i do in reality but i dont have the feel for it in game.

ps-if you have a wheel and your accelerator is one pedal why in the world would you set your brakes to a button on the wheel? I mean, i know the clutch it on the wheel of f1 cars but thats a completely different story. care to elaborate on why and what game?
What about heel&toe? Has anyone used that IRL? I don't think it would work in stock cars for me, as I have huge feet and just barely manage to juggle them in place for normal driving.
Well, you can use it if the pedals are in a good position, but just as with LFB, you never actually have an excuse for using it on public roads. It's something that is necessary to do for on the limit driving, or to make a sporty ride feel nicer. You CAN of course do it for normal speeds too, but without lots of practice you're going to make the ride less smooth than if you had simply let the clutch do the work of getting the revs up.
H&T is a very very very basic driving technique. Yes, I use it in real life, on the daily commute, any trackdays, and in full blown racing (though it's a bit harder whilst racing, whilst fighting a car, whilst overtaking, whilst worrying about oversteer, for example). But it's easy peasy in normal driving. And I have UK size 12 feet
I have size 14, makes it hard for me to find a car with enough pedal space (Twingo's is to small, I CAN'T drive it!) But never have situations in RL where i need H&T. I drive my employers MB 100D blipping the throttle on almost every downshift, but I never needed to brake in that same moment
All karts use left brake pedals, and pretty much 90% of the worlds top drivers spent many years in them b4 moving to cars.
Which tells us what?
But < 1% of decent drivers stayed in them for more than the occasional competition after they reached about 15 years old.
Just after I finished my first 24hr LFS event, I was driving to the supermarket with my roommate and tried to press the push-to-talk button on my RL car's steering wheel to talk to him.

That's about as close as I've come to overlapping reality and LFS.

edit: but I left-foot brake in real life, so maybe I'd be dead by now if not for that. :o
I tried left-foot braking in both my cars (manual and semi-auto), and found I cant do it, and figured out why:
On both cars the brake pedal is set too high and too close to me and too far to the right so that I can keep my left foot on it without pressing it confortably.
Whenever I try to left foot brake either I get cramps on the left leg, or to be able to depress it, I must lift my heel from the floor, resulting in no feel for the pedal whatsoever. If I try to left foot brake with my heel on the floor, i can do it, BUT my foot is at an angle of nearly 60degrees... it hurts like hell. (note - when your standing your feet at 90º from your leg - bend your knees and that angle diminishes)

With gaming pedals, no problem with left foot braking at all. Indeed, after a long stint driving the to s-s or the GTRs, If I switch to the slower manual gearbox cars, I try to brake using the clutch, making for some... interesting turn1s :schwitzI use the clutch pedal as a brake pedal on the SS and the Big GTRs)

Note2: Semi-auto: Clutchless manual gearbox, with a actuator-activated auto clutch. requires sequential style "up and down" shifts.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG