The online racing simulator
Quote from Gnomie :What about heel&toe? Has anyone used that IRL? I don't think it would work in stock cars for me, as I have huge feet and just barely manage to juggle them in place for normal driving.

It's perfectly possible in the Focus I drive. I heel and toe when road driving but decided not to worry about heel and toeing or going hard on the brakes in the big braking zones on my first track day. To go fast and smoothly though heel and toeing is pretty essential and can be done in pretty much any car with a vaguely sensible pedal layout.
#27 - Woz
If you are going to use racing techniques on the road you should do two things.

1) Question if you NEED to use them. Its the road, not the track.
2) Practice them first in a SAFE place.

The first time MOST people try LFB IRL they WILL lock up all 4 wheels until they stop. The trouble being your left foot is normally used to operating the clutch and so is used to stomping downwards. It just does not have the "feel" and that needs to be learnt.

If you LFS using pedals in LFS you might not lock up so drastically but even that depends on if you cheat in LFS and use soft braking strength to allow stomping the brakes without modulation.
Quote from Woz :
The first time MOST people try LFB IRL they WILL lock up all 4 wheels until they stop. The trouble being your left foot is normally used to operating the clutch and so is used to stomping downwards. It just does not have the "feel" and that needs to be learnt.

Absolutely trying left foot braking at a safe speed on a straight piece of road with no traffic around, once you're use to it you'll probably find it's pointless on the road in most cars, at least I did, if you really need to balance the throttle and brake then great otherwise it's pointless.
First time driving an automatic... Left foot brake...

Nothing happened, just because it's what I'm used to in LFS, but it was like... "Why am I doing this?" It's probably not too clever for most people, but if you're not a total knob, you could, but it's rather futile unless you need to make a quick transition around a corner while running from cops?
LFB is useful for karting and loose-surface rallying, but is unnecessary for road driving.

Don't get in the habit of using LFB in cars with automatic transmission, either. Some people use LFB in automatics and normal braking in manuals, and one day when the crud really hits the fan, mix the two up. Result: bad crash.

Not to mention 95% of people who think they can LFB, can't actually do it well. If you can LFB safely and effectively in a real heart-in-mouth, driving-for-my-life emergency moment, then you can LFB right. But that's not a test anyone would want to put themselves under.

Oh, and if anyone has a problem differentiating between playing a car game on a computer monitor, and real-life driving, then there are bigger issues to consider.
#31 - Osco
My left foot is too unsensitive for braking, must be the heavy clutch The last time I trief LFB I locked a tire on dry pavement
I do LFB every now and then in LFS, even though my left foot is mainly to keep me from rolling away from my desk in my office chair
I know, I've heard from one of my friends, he was rearended, because someone paniced and put both feet in. Sadly I'd like to think of myself a bit more levelheaded than that, but for now, It's just when I drive an automatic, my left foot gets bored, I need a standard to give me something to do.

Osco, I think it's becuase I've LFB'd for so long in LFS, I have that sort of modualtion that is needed.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I know, I've heard from one of my friends, he was rearended, because someone paniced and put both feet in.

Wow. Another example of a situation where you should have your license revoked. That's like someone accidentally shooting someone with a gun because they panicked, and letting them keep it - even though they're likely to do it again.
Why would I get my licence revoked for my friend getting rear-ended by something like that?!

(Silly directed pronouns )
I have tried left-foot braking in real life. But there's no use for left-foot braking while driving on the road. When I am driving in real life, I anticipate ****s cutting me off, and I can let off the gas if I think I'm going to be cut off. After all, it's not a race (I haven't been on a track yet, although I intend to auto-x in my Saturn eventually)
Quote from tristancliffe :Did you really?

I was trying to be optimistic, but I didn't realise how many idiots there really are out there....

I drive a real tow truck... after 8 years getting used to a specific hydraulics valves layout for platform operation, my boss changed truck and platform company at same time..... 4 years later I'm still sometimes using the wrong valve because of different valve layout....
Left foot braking is a handy technique on snow, even on normal cruising speeds. But I can only think few places within 50 km of my house where heel and toe would be useful under the speed limits.
I don't see much of an issue. Usually left foot braking is done by having the left foot positioned over the brake pedal, if the left foot isn't there, the normal right foot brake reaction will prevail.

There are top race car drivers that left foot brake in open wheelers, and even some in sedans and Nascar type race cars (using clutchless downshifts), and it doesn't seem to affect their real world driving. Racing transmissions can be shifted without using the clutch, and there are race drivers that left foot brake and blip the throttle instead of using heel and toe to downshift.

"Some people shift with the clutch, some people shift without," Hemmingson explains. "There is no best way; they just do whatever works best for them. People that drive right foot gas, left foot brake usually find that it works better for them not to use the clutch. Then there are other people that drive heel/toe and use the clutch, but there is no set rule because people are better at different things.

"All you've got to do, basically, is burp the throttle. If it isn't loaded really hard, you can pull it right out of gear, and it will go right into the next gear--if it's done quickly. In a situation like going down into a turn, burping the throttle just unloads the torque on the transmission slightly, which allows the transmission to align itself with the higher rpm of the next lower gear, and it will go right in."

Quoted from this web page:

road_racing_transmission_tech
I have been Left foot braking for years now and have had no problems what so ever......even had to do an emergency stop with no wheel locking as you modulate the brake pedal.
Left foot braking helps a lot in keeping a great balance with the car, a better reaction time with braking cause you are cover braking with your foot and I feel that I have better control over the braking pressure on the wheels.

If you know how to take your foot off the brake when its about to lock up you should have no problems with left foot braking.....just dont do what some tools do and have your foot pressing down on the brake while accelerating.
Atleast he didn't kill any innocent bystanders.
Quote from tristancliffe : If you are SO stupid to try and panic brake using a button on your steering wheel then you clearly need professional help.

There, my main thought I get after any of lerts' posts
well its true in an old f1 game i had set brake to wheel button and once in no emergency search for the button to brake

this is called habit and as you can see theres more people like me

just in order not to create bad habits i wont left foot brake

i wonder why im so controversial
another bad habit i avoid is setting the brakes so they never lock

in this way on real life in emergency i learn to modulate braking

i bet if you all had been nice to me and say theres no danger id be using left, but there being so many idiots who say theres no danger while some honest others admitted they got confused by the game i take as granted there is so ill use right
I have a habit of cleaning my teeth. It doesn't mean I try to clean them when I see a child getting hit by a train. I have a habit of braking quite late in computer games, but it doesn't mean I wait until I've hit something before pressing the brake in real life. I had a habit of left foot braking in computer games, but that doesn't mean I even think about using it subconciously in a real life driving emergency.

In order to not create bad habits you should sit at home under a blanket, and whimper.

You're controversial because the only stuff that gets from your brain to a keyboard (and, I suspect, your mouth) is complete and utter rubbish.

Maybe it's because your English is terrible, but you claim to have fifteen PhDs in English Language, so it can't be that. I still think that this forum would be better for you.
haha i was not expecting that
Tristan, we all understand your point but don't you think you go little bit to far?

Advice: Think before speak or don't speak if it's not worth saying, it may help you some day IRL.
No, I don't. If I'm going to far it's because Mr Lerts here struggles with being told once, and needs more and more tips to shut up.

I always think before I speak. Whether or not it's worth saying is a matter of opinion, but I don't use this forum to make people like me, or to make them hate me. There is an ignore feature if you'd prefer. Whether or not it'll help me later in life doesn't matter, as you can never know what the alternative could have been. I'm happy not knowing. For all you know it might help YOU later in life if you were happy enough to say what you think, rather than playing meek and mild because it makes more people like you.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG