The online racing simulator
Quote from dougie-lampkin :What I have is that when an admin types "!add NAME", a new file is made, which is named the NAME typed in the command...that's harder to explain than I thought... When someone connects with SPTR in their name, the program searches for a file called their name...if you follow me...if its there, it does nothing, the tag is allowed, if its not there, it tells them to change it...

I was then going to have it so that the only line of text in the player's file is their username, so that they can be checked...and if it's not the same username.../ban time

So potentially there will be like 100's of files floating around, are you mad? LOL

E: what you could do is, make a GUI or something and use LinQ with XML files, thats a very fast and easy option
Yeah, it would be better to use usernames becuase as you stated they can change to [SPTR] DAN! While really its me and nothing happens. (not that id do it just an example) But yes usernames would be better imo!
Erm...I don't know how to use LinQ, but I'll take a look at it now...OK, I now have a timer built-in, if the name isn't changed within 20 seconds (can be changed), the player is kicked. It needs a bit of fine-tuning though, maybe a few days to sort it out...
Or you could just use a normal text file to store the names. One on each line. Very easy.
Yea i just realised that earlier lolz
Dunno why I wanted to do it the first way...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Also, when a dedi host is running off a remote server, what path is it in? I don't need to know for this program, but are all the dedis running off the one path (eg. C:\dedi or C:\ or whatever drive letter...) ? I've often wondered this...

It can be anything really, it depends on how the server is setup and how tidy the Admin is, lol.

Here is an exple of how mine is layed out ...

C:\Serveur\LFS\Y\sp_demo\01\
C:\Serveur\LFS\Y\sp_demo\02\
C:\Serveur\LFS\Y\sp_s2\01\
C:\Serveur\LFS\Y\sp_s2\02\
... and so on ...

It's sorted into patch version, server type (Demo, S1, S2), and then the servers number.
So basically, each server has it's own folder, that contains everything relivant to that specific server.

Quote from DarkTimes :Or you could just use a normal text file to store the names. One on each line. Very easy.

Yea, that would make life alot easier, then it'd be possible to edit the text file via php.
This would then make it possible to edit the configs with a web interface ...

Quote from dougie-lampkin :I've just thought of a problem...A player can still connect to the server with the name of one of your players (eg. a valid [SPTR] name) and it will appear as though they are a proper member...perhaps the file should contain the username of the SPTR member?

The problem with using the username is that not all of our members have an S1 or S2 licence.

Quote from mcgas001 :Why not store playernames in the txt file and make a password box come up with LFS buttons, the pass is correct, tag is ok, pass is bad, kick...

That's a brilliant idea! A general team access password would be a great solution.
Hmm, I'm having a problem with a timer spamming at me...

I have it set so that if someone connects with SPTR in there name and there not in the allowed list, it begins a 20000 ms timer. When the elapsed is fired, it searches for that name again. If it finds it, it sends 3 lines of instructions, and kicks. But, each time this happens, the 3 lines are repeated (so for the 3rd time, it sends the messages 3 times), but the kick comes after the 3 lines repeated...If you don't understand (its hard to explain...), reply back and I can show someone...I haven't really done timers much before, so I haven't had the problem before...

Apart from that, it looks quite do-able
Does this way of doing it also detect when somebody changes their name - after - connecting to the server?

Also, the messages should be displayed when the timer starts, to give the player a chance to change name.
Then when the time ends, it simply kicks the player.

Unless you mean program / timer / insim instructions, in which case ignore what i just said ...

Any chance of some screenshots? Might help explain ...

Thanks for spending the time on this, I hope you can figure out the problems.
I'd help, except as I said, I don't have a clue about programming, lol ...
Quote from DanielC :Does this way of doing it also detect when somebody changes their name - after - connecting to the server?

Also, the messages should be displayed when the timer starts, to give the player a chance to change name.
Then when the time ends, it simply kicks the player.

Unless you mean program / timer / insim instructions, in which case ignore what i just said ...

Any chance of some screenshots? Might help explain ...

Thanks for spending the time on this, I hope you can figure out the problems.
I'd help, except as I said, I don't have a clue about programming, lol ...

Yes, it will detect name changes eventually, right now, I just want to get the basics done. A message is displayed when the timer starts to change the name. If, after 20 seconds, there is no improvement, it writes 3 lines of instructions, which say something like "dont rejoin until name is changed" or similar, I can't remember offhand...

I'll get screenshots soon enough, but I need someone to advise me on the timer first...I need to do some sort of timer.reset(); command, timer.stop(); and timer.enabled = false; (which do the same thing I think) are giving me trouble...
Would be Keen
I would love to test this if you want. Mine would be [LFSNZ] tag. We have 3 servers down here in NZ, and I really like the Idea to do this on my servers. This is if you dont mind
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Yes, it will detect name changes eventually, right now, I just want to get the basics done. A message is displayed when the timer starts to change the name. If, after 20 seconds, there is no improvement, it writes 3 lines of instructions, which say something like "dont rejoin until name is changed" or similar, I can't remember offhand...

I'll get screenshots soon enough, but I need someone to advise me on the timer first...I need to do some sort of timer.reset(); command, timer.stop(); and timer.enabled = false; (which do the same thing I think) are giving me trouble...

Have you worked this bug out ??
Quote from Swivel :I would love to test this if you want. Mine would be [LFSNZ] tag. We have 3 servers down here in NZ, and I really like the Idea to do this on my servers. This is if you dont mind

I'd love a tester in maybe a week, it isn't fully ready yet...thanks for the offer

Quote from greg_slideways :Have you worked this bug out ??

Nah, it always seems to happen, but the really weird thing is, I have it structured like this (pseudo-code):

But it spams the messages without a kick in-between

On the test dedi it shows the 9 messages, but only one /kick command...

I really need someone to have a look at this for me...

:tit:
I'll have a look at it, but you'd need to get your code to me somehow.

If you want my email, send me a PM.
[quote=dougie-lampkin;677127]I'd love a tester in maybe a week, it isn't fully ready yet...thanks for the offer

OK would be keen, Funny to be on the other side of the world, and helping out a fellow Irishman (FERMOY).
OK, thanks to DarkTimes I'm back on-track
Uhm, may I make a point?

LFSWorld already has information about teams! And its API already supports retrieving the teams list & team members.

So, all that there is to it, is the admin of a team keeping the members list up to date.

No?
Quote from avellis :Uhm, may I make a point?

LFSWorld already has information about teams! And its API already supports retrieving the teams list & team members.

So, all that there is to it, is the admin of a team keeping the members list up to date.

No?

Yes, but only the big teams keep that teams page updated...and it doesn't work for demo servers...and it won't show the player's nickname...

My thingy, if it comes to light, will just require admins to type !add PLAYERNAME or similarly !remove PLAYERNAME to manage the team...
Soooo ... where are we with this now?
I haven't been doing much on it recently I'm afraid...had some business to take care of

It's coming along, it just has some minor bugs to iron out...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I haven't been doing much on it recently I'm afraid...had some business to take care of

It's coming along, it just has some minor bugs to iron out...

What excatly are you afriad of? and do you need a tester or anything? Glad to help in anyway that i can!
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I haven't been doing much on it recently I'm afraid...

No problems, no rush, just wondering ... we all have other things to do ...

Let me know if any progress is made, and if you need any testing done ...

Quote from greg_slideways :do you need a tester or anything?

You're going to get far with no server arn't you ...
Funny, Dan, but if you need anything ask!
Thanks for the offers, but I don't need any help...just haven't been working on it lately...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG