The online racing simulator
OK. Thanks. Been wondering about that.
#77 - SamH
They do also get a nice personalised message explaining why they're being kicked, and to visit the website for more information. You may have noticed that some of them refuse to read the message, and repeatedly try to re-join. There's nothing we can do for them, I'm afraid!
There is something you can do for them. Darwin had the right idea but unfortuantly we could be arrested for it . . .

Quote from james12s :nice little hardtop 110, is it a diesel or petrol and what year, im gonna try and guess what engine it has

TD5. Shifts quite good considering what it is. Limited to 75 though. Although I am seeing if I can break it.

Been getting it very dirty recently. Fields, mud, slippidy slidey and a winch to pull you out when you get stuck. Love it.
yeah td5 is a good engine,very distinct sound, ide leave the limiter, use it as cruise control unless you are payed on a jobs done basis, also if you keep the vehcale at home and they dont look under the bonnet, think about an egr kit, better mid rang, i take it that it is company owned
pish td5, cant beat a 90 with an 80's rover v8 dumped into it

my mum had a td5 with the worst designed electrics ever concived, at one point every time you pressed a switch a fuse blew, at the best time we got it so it would only blow a fuse when you turned the indicators off :
Knew it!

I've read the TD5 is a DIY mans nightmare.
The Rover 3.5 V8 on the other hand...

On a CTRA related note:
I'm getting close to Gold... PANIC!

Just checked MyCTRA today, or yesterday because it's now 2:55, and WHAM! Just over 250 points to go! What am I to do?
I can't even pass people unless they make a mistake.
Maybe I should ask Sam to dock a few points.

BTW, do dismissed reports agains you show up on the MyCTRA page?
#82 - SamH
Quote from March Hare :BTW, do dismissed reports agains you show up on the MyCTRA page?

Nahh.. dismissed reports don't show. They're treated by MyCTRA as deleted by admin rather than the reporting driver, but still effectively deleted. The admins can still see them, and occasionally it helps them to build a larger picture. 10 dismissed reports against a driver for the same thing can build a picture of a problem with an aspect of a driver's racecraft that may need addressing at some point, even if the net result isn't a warning. The driver may benefit from a quick talking to by an admin, to highlight a problem for them to fix. It has happened that way a couple of times.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :When did an ogre ever have anything smart to say?

Wait, Sam says tons of smart things!

Fact: Shrek was created from years of researching Sam's eating and living habits.

ROFL!! HAHAHAHAHAHA thats awesome... good research dude
No we call it tailgating as well Sam. Truck drivers here are pretty good. If they can't keep up with traffic (they usually do) they will pull off the road and let a few cars pass. there is an obscure law here in california about how many cars can be behind you until you have to pull over, but nobody knows it.
Quote from SamH :I'm surprised the yanks haven't questioned "tailgating". To them, that's sitting in a parking lot at a football game with a grill and a few beers

deleted!
Quote from flymike91 :No we call it tailgating as well Sam. Truck drivers here are pretty good. If they can't keep up with traffic (they usually do) they will pull off the road and let a few cars pass. there is an obscure law here in california about how many cars can be behind you until you have to pull over, but nobody knows it.

It's not very obscure at all. Wisconsin has one (IIRC it's 10) and the UK has it aswell (7) they never follow it though, maybe it's because the police are too busy filling in paperwork to actually enforce any of the laws. Or could be they all neded counciling because they had to handle a weapon? I donno.
An issue with the UK though, especially this area is, where are they supposed to pull over?

If britians A and B roads are anything like they are here in Derbysire, if a HGV pulled over, they would never make it back onto the road lol.

and you cant just stop in the road because people behind you couldnt see past you to get round safley anyway

Mabye a good law in some places, but its not known because most the time its not possibe
well in preton we used to have to do a delivery, when my dad was driving rigids in the uk, it was right out in the country, and one day it was raining and he went to the side of the road to let someone past and the very edge of the road gave and the truck went sideways into the ditch
Well now I've really done it.

Have a question about Race 2 and it does coincide with Race 3 too.

What is the correct way to react to the faster class?
On the Race 2 I drive like I'm being blue flagged when ever one of the LRF class aproatches me from behind. Whether it's lapping me or has previously spun and is therefore behind me (or what ever).

On the Race 3 this is harder because there is no visual difference between the GTR and GT2 classes. Other than the fact that the car is gaining on you pretty darn quickly on the straights.
#90 - SamH
That's a fine question, I reckon!

The hard-nosed rule is that TBO let the LRF through, and GT2 let the GTR through. Different classes, they're not competing. That said, though...

In Race 2, both the TBO and LRF are Silver-licenced, and while the LRF is *largely* able to pull away, I've seen a few times where there is little or nothing to separate them.

The LRF lines up on the front of the grid. If it's that much better, it should be able to pull away into the distance. If one or more of the LRF drivers can't put a gap between the TBO and themselves, then I'd consider them fair game to compete against. Seeing an FXO go against an FZ50 does definitely provide some entertainment. The FZ50 gets away on the straights, but it can be caught in the corners. It's a good battle, usually. I'm all for on-track battling, and if it's between two different classes, then so be it.. particularly in this circumstance.

Race 3 is a slightly different story. The GTRs really are significantly quicker in most places, except some of the SO City tracks. Even there, they're usually able to make quite a bit of a gap. Ultimately, the GTRs should be able to pull away into the sunset unhindered by the GT2s. I would treat a GTR as a blue flag, if it's coming up on you. You can generally tell the GTRs because they come from nowhere and park firmly on your bumper.
Quote from SamH :...............................

Race 3 is a slightly different story. The GTRs really are significantly quicker in most places, except some of the SO City tracks. Even there, they're usually able to make quite a bit of a gap. Ultimately, the GTRs should be able to pull away into the sunset unhindered by the GT2s. I would treat a GTR as a blue flag, if it's coming up on you. You can generally tell the GTRs because they come from nowhere and park firmly on your bumper.

I do not fully agree with you on this 1, sam . I think when youre driving a GTR you should be aware of the slower cars on track. In the GTR your so much faster. So with that comes some responsebilty. I never overtake a GT2 only on a straight track. Go really wide so they see me overtake. Youre that much faster so it shouldnt be a problem. You can wait that extra corner, you have the speed coming out of the corner to overtake easily. Well thats at least what I do.
#92 - SamH
Quote from niels1 :I do not fully agree with you on this 1, sam . I think when youre driving a GTR you should be aware of the slower cars on track. In the GTR your so much faster. So with that comes some responsebilty. I never overtake a GT2 only on a straight track. Go really wide so they see me overtake. Youre that much faster so it shouldnt be a problem. You can wait that extra corner, you have the speed coming out of the corner to overtake easily. Well thats at least what I do.

No, I agree with you. It's always the responsibility of the car that's overtaking to undertake the move responsibly. The question was really about whether or not a GT2 car should challenge the overtake or not.
Quote from SamH :No, I agree with you. It's always the responsibility of the car that's overtaking to undertake the move responsibly. The question was really about whether or not a GT2 car should challenge the overtake or not.

Ooooops got that wrong.

Well if its for a position. Well I would say that the GTR has to overtake. But with the caution mention below. When I am driven GT2 I do let the GTR past me. There normaly way to quick and you cant have a battle with them due to the much higher speed.

I indeed gave them room, no need to get ran of track while there 2 different classes. But if people are holding there position and defending there line they are not wrong either. So still no answer.

I say do it poilte and give the GTR the room to overtake.
This chat topic is turning out to be very informative.

What about passing?
Can you guys pass a driver who doesn't make mistakes?
I can pass only when they make a mistake. Afterwards I'm always like "w00t I passed someone! Go me!" and make a mess of it in the next corner and they go flying by.

I sometimes can tailgate other drivers, on the straights, but I don't have enough speed to pass. If I change my line to go around I lose the small speed difference and have a bad line to the next turn.
If I hang on to their rear bumper for the whole straight I end up braking early, because I definitely don't want to hit them while braking. So on the next straight I, once again, use all the speed difference just to gain my previous place at their rear bumper just before the braking zone. Repeat untill race ends.
#95 - Dru
Quote from niels1 :Ooooops got that wrong.

Well if its for a position. Well I would say that the GTR has to overtake. But with the caution mention below. When I am driven GT2 I do let the GTR past me. There normaly way to quick and you cant have a battle with them due to the much higher speed.

I indeed gave them room, no need to get ran of track while there 2 different classes. But if people are holding there position and defending there line they are not wrong either. So still no answer.

I say do it poilte and give the GTR the room to overtake.

Niels is an excellent example of how a GT1 Driver should be with the GT2 cars

My only critism is with some GT1 cars (which ultimately are passing becuase they joined late or have been off the road - rather than lapping) is that they dive past you in the braking zone at the end of the straight and then come to an almost stand still as ultimately on most mid to speed corners the GT2's have the edge on cornering speed
Quote from Dru :Niels is an excellent example of how a GT1 Driver should be with the GT2 cars

My only critism is with some GT1 cars (which ultimately are passing becuase they joined late or have been off the road - rather than lapping) is that they dive past you in the braking zone at the end of the straight and then come to an almost stand still as ultimately on most mid to speed corners the GT2's have the edge on cornering speed

Anyone who has joined midrace shouldn't be interfering, and someone who has had an off would be passing for position anyway.

I don't hit the GTR server as much as I should , but on the TBO/LRF server I make a point of not interfering with a TBO battle if I've caught them up in an FZ or LX after joining midrace.
If I have the opportunity to scream past on a long straight like at AS Nat then I'll take it, but yesterday I followed (at a distance) a TBO battle round SO5 for the last couple of laps...was a good spectating position
Doncha just love it when mindless chatter actually helps people

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG