The online racing simulator
A funny thing happened on the way to the CTRA servers..
When did an ogre ever have anything smart to say?

Wait, Sam says tons of smart things!

Fact: Shrek was created from years of researching Sam's eating and living habits.
#2 - SamH
Dustin.. farting habits. Most important. Resonant trouser trumpets are an artform!
Bah, the first thing I did beta testing the X-System was reporting Sam for smelling bad, it's the most effective solution, he showered right afterwards!

#4 - SamH
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Bah, the first thing I did beta testing the X-System was reporting Sam for smelling bad, it's the most effective solution, he showered right afterwards!

Pfft! That's what YOU think! I fooled you! I didn't REALLY shower for another 3 weeks!
Ahh, that's why your dad was so whiny...
There is one thing I miss on the blue flag rules.

As a flagged person how do you tell the one behind you of your intentions?
I use the indicators to indicate where I'm going to go. But I've seen on some videos on youtube and such that some times people indicate to the direction they want the following driver to go or on which side thay are going to leave room.

Is there a correct way or should I just stop using it?

There is no mention of this neither in the CTRA server rules nor in the newbie section of the forums.
#7 - Jakg
There is no "correct" way, however i don't see how ANYONE would think that indicators, which on the road show which way THEY are going to go somehow should do the exact opposite on track.
I salute you Robert, I use the indicators also in the same way, if someone is lapping me or even drafting me I use the signal to clearly show that I am aware of the car behinds intentions to pass, my intentions to allow that to happen safely (for both of us) and expect the following car to pass on the oposite side to that I am indicating thus making it much easyer (and faster) for them to pass.
I thin what you do shows respect and awareness

I too have seen the oposite indicator used and I think this is a location thing, in another thread (I will find it) it was stated that some eastern european HGV drivers signal this way to allow you to pass them on 2 way roads!! now if a 40tonne artic indicated right here in the UK on a 2way road, if you overtake expect to get a: half way alongside the trailer as the driver forces you off the road as he overtakes somthing himself (as he was clearly indicating to do) or b: sees you in one of his 10 or so mirrors, and hits the anchors giving a little parp and a nice 2 fingered salute as you pass the unit, whether you see the tractor doing 25mph ahead in time is, anyones guess?.

b: is more likely because IMO most truck drivers are way better than you avarage car driver at least near where I live, and we get loads of international lorrys passing thru here, as I live close to the main port and 99% are superb drivers.

I didnt find the thread, grrr

S(hic!)D
Quote from SparkyDave :I too have seen the oposite indicator used and I think this is a location thing, in another thread (I will find it) it was stated that some eastern european HGV drivers signal this way to allow you to pass them on 2 way roads!!

yep, truck drivers here in Hungary do that quite often, they signal to the right to show you that you can overtake them safely, noone is approaching in the other lane.
#10 - VoiD
Quote from SparkyDave :...is more likely because IMO most truck drivers are way better than you avarage car driver...

I second that. It´s all about milage and experience.

Quote from csurdongulos :...truck drivers here in Hungary do that quite often, they signal to the right to show you that you can overtake them safely, noone is approaching in the other lane.

Its the opposite here in germany: Signal on left side means road clear for a save overtake. And yes, we drive right hand...

Watched dozons videos taken from Nordschleife track (I prefer cockpit-view). Same here: the signal shows on what side the guy behind should pass.
Quote from VoiD :Its the opposite here in germany: Signal on left side means road clear for a save overtake. And yes, we drive right hand...

Just out of interest what/ how do people signal if they want to turn left? same way?

SD.
#12 - VoiD
signal to the left : turn left
signal to the right: turn right
signal on both sides: Housten, we have a problem.

Quote from VoiD :Its the opposite here in germany: Signal on left side means road clear for a save overtake.

Quote from VoiD :signal to the left : turn left

so how do you know the difference?

SD.
About truck drivers being better drivers... it's bull. Here in Belgium we had a test on tv: "the national drivers test". There were 5 teams in the studio, and you could play along at home. The truck drivers ended last!
Quote from SparkyDave :so how do you know the difference?

SD.

If there isn't a possibility to turn left i can guess that the driver in front try to tell me that i should overtake on the left (on normal 2 way roads that it's save to overtake).
-
(GloryJ) DELETED by GloryJ
if theres not a possibility to turn left or move to the left, how do you overtake on the left?

What happens if the lorry needs to overtake does he just pull over without indicating or does he indicate the same way then move over while youre overtaking?

how do you know if you cant turn left up ahead if youre behind the lorry, surely if you can see up ahead if you can turn left you can also see if you can overtake and so why is he indicating?

if a lorry driver indicates to you to overtake, and you overtake and crash, how does insurance work out, its your fault right? I mean, over here if you overtake thats your responsibility and so even if someone signals that you can, you still have to judge for yourself on the overtake if it is safe to do so or not. thus, we only indicate in the direction we intend to move in.

am i missing something here? because that format seems quite dangerous!
Here at the moment the way people in tractors signal its safe to overtake is by completely ignoring you.

If they look back and start shouting abuse then you know youve been waiting too long.

Simple way for a simple folk
Quote from sgt.flippy :About truck drivers being better drivers... it's bull. Here in Belgium we had a test on tv: "the national drivers test". There were 5 teams in the studio, and you could play along at home. The truck drivers ended last!

ok that may be true about some truck drivers and the ones in the test are probably of a sertain type dispised by most proper truckers, most truck drivers, especially british long haul are some of the best drivers about
Quote from richy :if a lorry driver indicates to you to overtake, and you overtake and crash, how does insurance work out, its your fault right? I mean, over here if you overtake thats your responsibility and so even if someone signals that you can, you still have to judge for yourself on the overtake if it is safe to do so or not. thus, we only indicate in the direction we intend to move in.

am i missing something here? because that format seems quite dangerous!

It's the same here. But sometimes the truck car in front can see more then i can and wants to help because he/she know that I'm faster.

I think it really depends on the situation. Normally i know how many cars are in front of me. I can drive a bit to the left (we drive on the right side) and see whats in front of a truck. If thats impossible i can wait some seconds when the truck doesn't start to overtake a tractor or so i can guess that the truck driver wants to show me that i can overtake safely.

If someone signal to the left i would think that he wants me to pass him/her on the left Well that won't happen often because I'm slow but now i know that i shouldn't get angry if someone signal left and then drives to the left and want me to pass on the right side
Also he only signals to the left once AFAIK so if the light doesn't flash a second time you know that he isn't going to turn left.
So if it's german behind me I should indicate to the direction I want him/her to go. If it's a brit(or a finn or plenty of other nationalities) I should indicate to the direction I want to go.

Great.
From now on, every time you see me on a server change your racer name to your country so I can indicate to the correct direction.

Maybe the easier way is that I indicate the way I want to go and all you have to do is remember me saying it here. I already have "I BRAKE EARLY!" on my rear bumper maybe I should add "INDICATOR SHOWS MY WAY!" or something similar.

zeugnimog, what if the light bulp in the indicator blows on the first blink?
Scary thought?
Here in Germany we drive like antisocials. At least on freeways a lot people don't even use signal lights to show others that they want to overtake so we can use them to show the car behind that it's save to overtake
You only drive like antisocials..?

Quote from GloryJ :Here in Germany we drive like antisocials. At least on freeways a lot people don't even use signal lights to show others that they want to overtake so we can use them to show the car behind that it's save to overtake

Maybe the 'German-ness' of the car is affecting the behaviour of BMW drivers here in the UK too

I've never seen anything on the road indicate to show the car behind that it is safe to pass, I have seen the driver of a JCB stick his arm out of the window and wave 'pass me' though.
Quote from Bean0 :Maybe the 'German-ness' of the car is affecting the behaviour of BMW drivers here in the UK too

BMW and Mercedes drivers are the worst

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG