The online racing simulator
Are copper wire fumes hazardous to your health?
Is it bad for you to connect strands from a copper wire to the +12V and ground on a power supply, and then power on the powersupply and watch the copper wire burn up? Like, will I die from inhaling the fumes?
Quote from wheel4hummer :Is it bad for you to connect strands from a copper wire to the +12V and ground on a power supply, and then power on the powersupply and watch the copper wire burn up? Like, will I die from inhaling the fumes?

Yes, a slow and painful death
#3 - axus
Quote from niall09 :Yes, a slow and painful death

We have another word for that - marrige.
Tell you what, don't stand over the smouldering red strands inhaling deeply. Is this an occupational hazard you are exposed to or some late night pastime, out of interest?
Depends. Are you holding the wires too? And if not, why not?
yes, its very bad for you.
yes the fumes are hazardous. It can cause cancer, I would avoid breathing it if I where you.
Quote from DragonCommando :yes the fumes are hazardous. It can cause cancer, I would avoid breathing it if I where you.

Well what can't cause cancer these days?
I wouldn't risk it. As a precaution i recommend not breathing at all.
Yes, but not as hazardous as browsing these forums.....
Quote from Bob Smith :Depends. Are you holding the wires too? And if not, why not?

I just was trying to set paper on fire with the copper wire over the weekend. But I developed a headache yesterday, and now it won't go away. My friend shoved someone into me the other day while I was looking down, and I fell on the ground. I think that might be the cause of the headache, but maybe not. Either way, I'll stop burning copper wires. I figure: who should I take medical advice from, a doctor or users on the LFS forums? So, I choose to ask the LFS community, and hope that I don't die. Who needs doctors? :P
Just buy a lighter. Even with your currency it'll only be about $20 (£0.50)
Here is my proof now that I can use links, since I've been using my touch all day:
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C514620.html

Actually I asked a friend and he said very, since he was in a shop class, but I found that link anyway which will tell you all the harm it will do.

Eat your heart out.
I don't think it was a very high amount of copper fumes though, since once enough of the wire burns off, the current cannot flow through it anymore so it only burns of a very small amount. Now I'm scared... should I go to my doctor and say "I was messing around by short-circuiting a power supply with copper wire and I think that I'm going to die now?"
You'll be fine. You can probably do that burning thing every day of your life and not worry.

It would be a different matter if you did it (or something involving it) for a living, and exposed yourself to the fumes 100 times a day, or more, five or six days a week for 50 years.

Most of the copper won't vapourise anyway; it'll coagulate in a lump, or a drip somewhere. The amount that is vapourised is so tiny, and the amount of that that actually gets breathed in is tiny too = tiny squared. Which is ickle.
You're a big girl's blouse. Stop whimpering about on the fringes of energy reactions and start playing with the sun...
And I thought my Uni project was somewhat impressive. And he's was in high school. Damn.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well what can't cause cancer these days?

only driving a fast car on the Nordschleiffe pops to my head
to get the effects you discrie it must have been alot and falling followed by constant headache dont sound good. SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION. trust me go to the doctors soon!!!!
yeah especcially old brakes, aspesdos
Not really any more dangerous that current brake pad materials in the doses you'll get. Too many people think that even a tiny amount of Asbestos will kill you on first contact. As with the whole copper thing, you need sustained and repeated (usually over years) to notice anything.
yeah but its the affect it cause by making him fall over and hit his head then that giving him a constant headache is not good at all, and as for brake dust for the same amount the aspesdos is worse but both are not good. btw im going a mechanics course since september and we habve been doing like 3.5-4 hours a week on health and safty since
99% of which is, to coin a well known phrase, bullshit.

You're meant to be becoming a mechanic, not the Health and Safety Executive. You should spend one hour per month on H&S, and the rest on theory behind car parts (unless you plan to just be a fitter, and replace broken things with new things, in which case you only need about 10 minutes training).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG