The online racing simulator
Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
Quote from bealesracing :Hello All!

From my experience in karting, you don't spend a lot of time on the breaks throughout a circuit. Obviously this differs with kart class, and track but for example Daytona International at Milton Keynes (UK) has a good 14 corners, only a handful of these you actually need to use the break on.

You may not HAVE to use the break on a corner, but it's finding out if it's faster to use it or not! Also breaking technique is a big factor in karting - a sharp jab on the break will get the a*se out and can help on certain corners to keep the kart stable, you'll mainly get this on tighter hairpins. "Double pedalling" is a big factor with breaking too - in hire karts, this is not allowed as they use cheaper clutches which burn out, it can also make the breaks bind. However when you do it correctly in owner karts (both 4 and 2 stroke) you can apply the brakes without dropping the engine revs which can help you gain time.

As to some members saying that karting is aggressive etc - it depends on the class and what series you are racing. 4 stroke is generally more friendly, especially the club championships (Rye House, Lakeside etc) the old UK Champs used to be very competitive but was still very friendly.

2 Stroke is a lot more aggressive and generally more competitive. You will always get rubbing in karting, and a little bit of bumping but that's racing.

Just my opinions as usual!

Darn - recently all my posts are really long!

Rob

4 stroke is generally more friendly? Then what the hell is this - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRZXSFodb0 hehe
Those sorta accidents you don't get up from easily.

If a car accident can injure spectators, or pose that risk then that surely is bad track design?

and by the way... I have seen a kart enter a spectator area and it's not nice. Actually once a friend of mine could have lost his nuts to a magneto doing about 70mph... the fence broke which we were LEANING on.. thankfully it hit the wood and not his leg... and yes we got the track to change its spectator arrangements in that area.
Quote from Intrepid :thankfully it hit the wood and not his leg

Good thing he was looking at that hottie on the stand and not the track then.
Quote from xaotik :Good thing he was looking at that hottie on the stand and not the track then.

lol i nearly made that joke
anyway this thread should be closed now... I think it has served it's purpose?
Quote from Mattesa :Before you start driving, spin your G25 wheel all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right. Same with the pedals, press each pedal all the way down before you start driving. You need to do it so LFS can calibrate the end points.

thank god im not the only one that does this. i feel like a spanner cuz im the only one calibrating on the grid of each race
#85 - Osco
get yourself a digital rev counter, you'll know what's going on. the 'dry eyes' thing is just not accurate enough
Quote from ajp71 :I can't understand what you've got against them (or why you've got one).

Lol... I don't understand this forum at all, really: full of people that profess to love motorsport and yet whenever anyone enthuses about something there's a crock full of bitches who just want to spray bullshit on any kind of conversation.

Its got wheels. Its fast as ****. What's not to love, Blueflame?
the thing about karting is-here come the science-it has a speed ration of 3 to 1 which means ur so close to the ground that when ur doing around 60-85 down a straight it feels a lot quicker than a car doing 60-85mph. and anyone who says karting is for wimps who dont want to drive cars is clearly stupid as karts are just as dangerous as cars and in some cases just as hard to drive.
Quote from viper-2007 :the thing about karting is-here come the science-it has a speed ration of 3 to 1 which means ur so close to the ground that when ur doing around 60-85 down a straight it feels a lot quicker than a car doing 60-85mph.

Yeah very true, even rental karts with an average session speed of 19mph feel fast, although like every racing vehicle never fast enough

Have you really been clocked at 85mph in your kart? A lot of these claims do seem exaggerated.

Quote :and anyone who says karting is for wimps who dont want to drive cars is clearly stupid as karts are just as dangerous as cars

Karts aren't as dangerous as cars, end of story. Cars travel far faster and there's potential for much worse accidents, it's easy to get lulled into a false sense of security because high speed accidents through car to car contact, which normally result in the worst angles at the strangest places are very rare in professional racing and almost unheard of in club racing. Having said that though there have been some very close shaves recently with safety improvements barely keeping up with declining driving standards, one being the addition of fencing to the Castle Combe pitlane, which was promptly hit hard by a flying Evo, from an entirely avoidable accident and would almost certainly resulted in fatalities if the fence wasn't there to stop it flying into the pitlane.

Quite often on the forum (and more commonly in game) you hear karters saying they're prepared to do nothing to avoid contact and a crash if it means loosing time and places. They claim they do this in real karting as well, if you took this approach in real cars you'd soon see a huge increase in serious accidents, another exceptionally lucky escape I saw was a car that ignored yellow and red flags and still managed to loose control and was heading on backwards on a high speed collision course with a stricken car (that caused the red flag) and the driver and marshals around it. Thankfully by chance it had a heavy impact with another car that just happened to cut across it's course and nobody was seriously hurt. Had it not been for that other car there would have been multiple fatalities. In karts the same accident would result in a few broken bones, there is a difference.

Quote :and in some cases just as hard to drive.

Well I'd disagree there a kart doesn't require mechanical sympathy in the same way, assuming you've got a direct drive kart you haven't got gearshifts to worry about, there's just 2 pedals and a steering wheel, which lets you concentrate on racing and finding the best line and best using the few controls you have got, of course modern cars with sequential 'boxes are much easier to drive and more like karts in that sense.
Quote from ajp71 :Yeah very true, even rental karts with an average session speed of 19mph feel fast, although like every racing vehicle never fast enough

Have you really been clocked at 85mph in your kart? A lot of these claims do seem exaggerated.

Karts aren't as dangerous as cars, end of story.

I used to own a kart (Aixro XR50) that clocked nearly 100mph at PFi on the straight with an extended straight (there's a speed meter on the straight). most karts... senior ones anyhow will range from 70-85 (at a push) mph top end max on short circuits.... Junior karts are around 65-75mph and that's was measured on my GPS unit. ICC karts can reach 100+ on long circuits, and 250cc have been clocked around the 150mph mark. don't believe me - http://www.dailymotion.com/rel ... x1ejop_karting-vs-viper_a

I actually don't like over exaggerations myself but those are just some stats i have seen myself being measured.

Kart used to be a lot more dangerous and fatalities were not that uncommon, thankfully it has improved a lot. I recall in 1995 I think a Cadet driver was tragically killed, and there was two last year.

I am not trying to act big and tough just telling you that you way it is.

by the way you don't just have two pedals and a steering wheel. You also have to constantly take care of your engine changing jetting throughout a race... not easy at the top level... in a sense of driving its fundamentally simpler than a car... however to go fast... thats a whole new ball game!
intrepid what do u race obviously its a 2-stroke but it sounds like a quick one. and are u envolved in any championships like msa, brks, motors tv championship.
nah, no prob at all. I went for a company-only Kart race a few years back, and I spent the weekend before the race (t'was to be done on a monday - work day heheheh) driving around with GrandPrix 2 (remember that game?). Come race day, As soon as I had my butt in the kart, all the "turn wheel X to turn Y radius" went out the window and I qualified 3rd, having arrived late and missed the 30mins practice session and half the qualifying. Then on the race, I ended a very respectfull 2nd place, gaining around .3 seconds per lap to a guy that raced those karts in a championship, every week. (he came with his helmet, race suit, back harness, gloves, race shoes, the works. I was with a t-shirt and jeans. Boy was I COLD.)
Sim racing WILL improve your karting - no worries. Youll learn lines (a lot more than on the track), and will improve VASTLY on your gut-feeling of the car - youll know just how fast you can do a bend after doing it 3 times, and will catch the kart attempting to slide out on you much MUCH faster.
Quote from BlueFlame :My dad is actually registered on the karting site you support, so all my information on the sport is from him which is actually from YOUR neck of the woods to begin with so my ignorance can't be much from the TRUTH can it? FRONT BRAKES? All the karts I have seen have only had a rear brake? You also don't have to try and make Karting sound dangerous to make it seem better than it is, the fact people fly around kart tracks only backing of the throttle just makes it lame for me, it's like a badly made game or something.

ye sthis was 2 pages ago but i felt i needed to clear an ignorant remark. Shifters are probably the most popular well known forms of karting (besides commercial karting) and all shifter leagues require front brakes by the WKA standards ( here in america)
Quote from JJ72 :I think as you make your first turn in your return to karting, all sim related experience would naturally go away.

I think so. Sometimes I take my car after being playing LFS with my G25 and I feel the size of the wheel and the pedals weird, but only the firsts 100m, then, I drive naturally.
You can´t know how to drive several cars, not only one, I don´t see the problem
Quote from carmaniac1993 :ye sthis was 2 pages ago but i felt i needed to clear an ignorant remark. Shifters are probably the most popular well known forms of karting (besides commercial karting) and all shifter leagues require front brakes by the WKA standards ( here in america)

It's hardly ignorance when all the karts i have seen in my 17 year old life have had only rear brakes. If someone DOESN'T know something because they haven't been taught or haven't seen it for themselves, how is that ignorant? How can they be ignorant of something they didn't know even existed?
yes but you've made it seem like your right and we're wrong just because you havent seen it
Quote from BlueFlame :It's hardly ignorance when all the karts i have seen in my 17 year old life have had only rear brakes. If someone DOESN'T know something because they haven't been taught or haven't seen it for themselves, how is that ignorant? How can they be ignorant of something they didn't know even existed?

I think what you described here is the exact definition of ignorance:

ig·no·rant –adjective
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3.uninformed; unaware.
4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.
Quote from UncleBenny :I think what you described here is the exact definition of ignorance:

ig·no·rant –adjective
1.lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2.lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3.uninformed; unaware.
4.due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Then i must be ignorant to the work ignorant, because the way it is taught here, is as-if the 'ignorant' person has a CHOICE to KNOW about the subject in question.
Quote from BlueFlame :Then i must be ignorant to the work ignorant, because the way it is taught here, is as-if the 'ignorant' person has a CHOICE to KNOW about the subject in question.

I almost made that joke but I stopped myself.

I think most people use ignorance as a condescending word so it gets interpreted that way, when really it just means that you didn't know something. Don't take it personally.
If you don't know something, then you are uninformed.
If you think you know something, but got it wrong, you are misinformed.
If you think you are an expert on a subject, but make fairly large or fundamental mistakes in that field, then you are ignorant.

But!

If you don't know something, that's ignorance, which by definition makes you ignorant. And, as we all know, ignorance is no excuse. That's what alcohol was invented for.

So, it's quite complex really. You can be both ignorant and merely un/misinformed at the same time, or one at a time!

If you find it confusing, then just do as I do and refer to people as idiots, which is a nice, handy catch-all qualifier.
Quote from carmaniac1993 :yes but you've made it seem like your right and we're wrong just because you havent seen it

Well, even when i read it back, it just seems to me like I just stated that all the karts i had ever seen with my own eyes had only rear brakes.

Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG