The online racing simulator
Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
Karting Vs LFS
Hi i was just wondering if playing lfs on my G25 (which is crap) can affect my karting as i get used to the 900degree on the G25 it can affect me driving 90degree turning in a kart could someone who does karting please back this up for me as i have the new season starting soon and i am quite worried. and to not waste space with another thread could someone help me with my G25 as i hate it its really twitchy and hard to race i got all right degrees for cars and i got 102% ffb affect

Thanks in advance
#2 - JeffR
With karts, it's more of a case of force than movement in the steering wheel. A standard FFB wheel like the G25 isn't going to give this amount of force in it's feedback, and I haven't encountered racing games that simulate a high force, low movement wheel.

I have just jumped into a go-kart at K1 Speed, not having driven one in 30 years, and it doesn't take long to acclimate to the steering. However I also drive a motorcycle, and at speed, there's hardly any movement of the handlebars, just the impression of applying a counter-steering force to initiate and maintain lean angles.
im sorry but I hardly think that online racing within a sim like lfs is going to have any negative effect on your real life karting. The G25 in lfs (im guessing, I dont have one) is not "crap" as you stated. I use a DFP, which has the same 900 degree of streering lock available to it.

But, you dont have to use the full 900 degree of lock. LFS doesn't have a kart. Its not something which can be easily compared in my opinion, but for it to be crap, i would suggest that it is just not set up right.

Im not a karter, never have been, but I do drive, and have driven single seater racing cars in the days gone by. - Ive never noticed a negative effect caused by a simulator.

Why not set your G25 to 90 degrees and try driving within lfs like that..?
#4 - JJ72
I think as you make your first turn in your return to karting, all sim related experience would naturally go away.
Quote from viper-2007 :and to not waste space with another thread could someone help me with my G25 as i hate it its really twitchy

Before you start driving, spin your G25 wheel all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right. Same with the pedals, press each pedal all the way down before you start driving. You need to do it so LFS can calibrate the end points.
Quote from viper-2007 :Hi i was just wondering if playing lfs on my G25 (which is crap) can affect my karting as i get used to the 900degree on the G25 it can affect me driving 90degree turning in a kart could someone who does karting please back this up for me as i have the new season starting soon and i am quite worried. and to not waste space with another thread could someone help me with my G25 as i hate it its really twitchy and hard to race i got all right degrees for cars and i got 102% ffb affect

Thanks in advance

It shouldnt be twitchy (atleast mine is not).

make sure also to set teh wheels steering in the profiler aswell as in game. Otherwise the default is set to 200 degrees rotation.

Edit: If you are using the MRT, then its just naturaly twitchy. You have to adjust the settings to make it not as twitchy.

I tried to make a Kart like setup but it doesnt work, the tire width, the weight ballence, and the height is not the same.
Quote from viper-2007 :Hi i was just wondering if playing lfs on my G25 (which is crap) can affect my karting as i get used to the 900degree on the G25

Nothing that a few months in a dedicated detox facility and proper rotation management therapy can't help you deal with. Don't worry. At most you'll have to take a few mgrams of Steerin per day.
#8 - ajp71
The G25 is pretty a crappy cheap mass produced product, you could go and spend more than your karts worth on hardware and you'd get a much better experience but the feedback would hardly be any better.

Currently no one has simulated a kart or attempted to produce the hardware to do so. Trying to use a car simulator for karts isn't going to be helpful as they are not at all the same. Hopefully though they won't interfere surely you do far more miles in a road car than a kart but that doesn't affect you?

Karting doesn't really require such precise or large steering inputs it's largely about shifting weight, none of which is relevant to road driving, real racing or sim racing
Quote from mkinnov8 :Im not a karter, never have been, but I do drive, and have driven single seater racing cars in the days gone by.

Cool. What/where?
I am sure you can adjust you wheel to not use all that lock. You should be able simulate the less movement you need on a wheel in a kart.

I 100% disagree that LFS won't help your karting. I know from my own personal experience, and others that it helps a lot. The actual physics in LFS, the way I have my wheel set up, and the way I have my car setup feel very kart like indeed. Of course there are huge things that can't be simulated. Compared between a car sim, and a real kart, the differences aren't as huge as some suggest. In terms of precision, and how your mind and eyes work when you drive LFS can help massively. Just ask 'Ayrton Senna 87' how much LFS has helped him. At the very least it keeps your in the 'driving' zone.

What I would say is the transition back from karting to playing LFS is funny. It takes me ages to get used to LFS again lol

But KartSim is on the distant horizon and once that arrives I may be saying goodbye to LFS
ye but does it take long to go from LFS to karting as i have a test day before i start the championship will this be enough time to get used to my kart steering from the difference of a G25.
Quote from viper-2007 :ye but does it take long to go from LFS to karting as i have a test day before i start the championship will this be enough time to get used to my kart steering from the difference of a G25.

The answer will be different for each person. In the massive number of cases I'd suggest that it will take practically no time at all.

Think of it this way - how many people drive here in "real life"? A lot. How many people use a G25. Now how many crashes do you hear about here, because they were previously driving in LFS? None.

I think you're trying to find a problem where there is none. Granted I don't kart very often, but I fail to see how it's a problem.

Surely it's just like going from one car to another?!

In short, stop being a tit and asking rather ridiculous questions.
No it won't be a problem. Our brains are quite smart.

What you will find is you'll figure out how LFS is similar to karting, and when you to back LFS you will be more aware of the areas you benefit. Your brain will be able to take those bits and apply it to reality, and ignore the rest
Quote from the_angry_angel :Granted I don't kart very often, but I fail to see how it's a problem.

Surely it's just like going from one car to another?!

In short, stop being a tit and asking rather ridiculous questions.

if u dont kart then u have no idea about karting it is rather different from LFS and driving a car so u shut up u idiot and stop being so nasty to people and thanks intrepid for the answer i not so worried now
It wont be an issue at all, first turn of a wheel in the kart and you'll be fine - the brain is far more powerful than you can imagine!

I'm new to driving actual cars, about 10 lessons in so far, and I got the G25 about 6 in, and can go from G25 to a Ford Fiesta with no issue - also drive a Rotax 125cc Kart on occasion at my 'local' circuit, and now I'm quite confident in all 3 now without having to think about it - it comes naturally.

Quote from viper-2007 :if u dont kart then u have no idea about karting

Aah, but read his post - he has driven karts in the past
#16 - Jakg
Quote from viper-2007 :if u dont kart then u have no idea about karting it is rather different from LFS and driving a car so u shut up u idiot and stop being so nasty to people and thanks intrepid for the answer i not so worried now

Erm, what?

I must have no idea about Karting then, as LFS made be better at Karting...

I also ride a bike and i feel that LFS has also sort of helped me a bit with that, and Karting has helped me to "feel" the motion of a bike and actually saved my life.
Quote from viper-2007 :Hi i was just wondering if playing lfs on my G25 (which is crap) can affect my karting as i get used to the 900degree on the G25 it can affect me driving 90degree turning in a kart could someone who does karting please back this up for me as i have the new season starting soon and i am quite worried. and to not waste space with another thread could someone help me with my G25 as i hate it its really twitchy and hard to race i got all right degrees for cars and i got 102% ffb affect

Thanks in advance

Well, stick with 270 Degrees lock, thats quite good for racing cars in general and not too different from karts. A good car to drive is the MRT5.

From personal experience, LFS has made me a MUCH better karter as I've gotten very close to track records with only 10-20 minutes practice first time on the track.

So, to answer your question, yes.
so could karting actually make me a better LFS'R.

u must be a really good kart as ur amazing on LFS leprekuan
Quote from viper-2007 :if u dont kart then u have no idea about karting it is rather different from LFS and driving a car so u shut up u idiot and stop being so nasty to people and thanks intrepid for the answer i not so worried now

If you wrote in English and weren't quite so aggressive then people might take you more seriously. I think you should remember that whilst a lot of us aren't 'pro race drivers', we are mostly pretty handy in rental karts, no question the real karts will still disappear off into the distance but we're fast enough appreciate the vast difference between a kart and a car and drive it completely differently appreciating that sliding isn't necessarily bad and with no power keeping speed becomes the priority equally the body allows you to shift the balance of the kart four ways and can act as a brake. If you try and drive a kart like a racing car you'll just be hopelessly slow equally treat a car like a kart and there's one place you'll end up. There's a lot that does transfer across though, not literal lines and technique but more general skills and thought processes.

Given the fact your a 'pro race driver' in a kart team for 11-18 year olds I guess you have little or no experience in driving road cars at speed?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Now how many crashes do you hear about here, because they were previously driving in LFS? None.

I would greatly disagree, I don't remember the exact threads but I definitely saw a few cases of "The car felt the same as in LFS, OH SH*T! thats new!" BANG!. We don't want to encourage anyone

As Intrepid was mentioning, there is KartSim which should be coming out sometime soon I guess, haven't read into it much but for now, I strongly suggest getting Michael Schumacher World Tour Karting. Aside from it being a fun game, IMO, its the closest you can get to real karting until the likes of KartSim, Kart Attack and Kart Champions come round.
Quote from viper-2007 :so could karting actually make me a better LFS'R.

u must be a really good kart as ur amazing on LFS leprekuan

Now now , none of that "you're amazing Lep" stuff . Its just a matter of experience.

They both help each other out. When I did a bit of karting, made me better in LFS and vice versa. They share many of the same principles (racing lines, braking points, throttle modulation and general feel of the car to the kart) and then psychologically, OH MAN! thats where the good stuff starts, LFS has increased my concentration level greatly which in turn, helped me in karting.

There is one thing though about me that is true...

I'm Batman!

If you want I can get nasty. That was not.
When i drive karts is just really..... gets under my skin the fact the back axle is fixed, and to turn more effectively you have to lift the inside rear wheel, I just... think karts should have suspension! :P and just so viper don't start giving me the old fork tongue, I do happen to have a 100cc TKM kart in my garage, al-beit an old and unraceableone (due to it's class). Also, why do these IDIOTS have [G25] in their nick? REALLY? You are THAT happy about your G25? There is nothing a G25 can do that my Logitech Formula EX can't, do you see my name filled with all my expensive hardware? ;/
Driving in LFS will not make you a worse karter when your new season starts. Once you are in the seat and can feel what the kart is doing you'll be just fine.

You'll be used to the direct kart steering in no-time at all...once you are through that first corner you'll wonder why you were ever having doubts.

Cheers,

Rob
Quote from Leprekaun :IMO, its the closest you can get to real karting until the likes of KartSim, Kart Attack and Kart Champions come round.

Kart Attack has said it will be easy to play and little has been said about how the most basic issues of weight distribution will be accounted for in the other two so I wouldn't expect anything more than a fun semi-sim from them really.

Quote from BlueFlame :When i drive karts is just really..... gets under my skin the fact the back axle is fixed, and to turn more effectively you have to lift the inside rear wheel, I just... think karts should have suspension!

That would defeat the point though, by the time you've added all that weight you need more than a lawn mower engine to make it go, so you put a bigger engine in it, at which point it becomes dangerously fast so you have to give it a rollcage and belts, which naturally evolves into a spaceframe chassis, full body work and wings to get the power down the result is a Jed. A very light and small single seater, but not a kart by any stretch of the imagination.

Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG