The online racing simulator
Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
Quote from Leprekaun :Now now , none of that "you're amazing Lep" stuff . Its just a matter of experience.

They both help each other out. When I did a bit of karting, made me better in LFS and vice versa. They share many of the same principles (racing lines, braking points, throttle modulation and general feel of the car to the kart) and then psychologically, OH MAN! thats where the good stuff starts, LFS has increased my concentration level greatly which in turn, helped me in karting.

There is one thing though about me that is true...

I'm Batman!

Well that's weird cos LFS doesn't help me in karting at all, it was playing Gran Turismo at the age of 7 or so, and my dad teaching me about racing lines and I was on manual gears not long after 8years of age too, a feat some people can't seem to manage in there 20's... :|

Karting only made LFS more boring to me, when i came back after some public karting, not that the karting was EXTREMELY fun to me... LFS just seemed boring and geeky, now I just cruise on it cos racing in leagues takes alot of dedication and time and i don't have alot of it these days.
Quote from BlueFlame :When i drive karts is just really..... gets under my skin the fact the back axle is fixed, and to turn more effectively you have to lift the inside rear wheel, I just... think karts should have suspension! :P

BBBoooo...... karts are good because they are simple and AWESOME to drive also who is going to want to pay all that money for pointless suspension lol BBBOoo....
Quote from ajp71 :Kart Attack has said it will be easy to play and little has been said about how the most basic issues of weight distribution will be accounted for in the other two so I wouldn't expect anything more than a fun semi-sim from them really.

That would defeat the point though, by the time you've added all that weight you need more than a lawn mower engine to make it go, so you put a bigger engine in it, at which point it becomes dangerously fast so you have to give it a rollcage and belts, which naturally evolves into a spaceframe chassis, full body work and wings to get the power down the result is a Jed. A very light and small single seater, but not a kart by any stretch of the imagination.

Most karts have engines bigger than a lawnmower engine just spitting out a maximum 5-8hp at about 180-200kg

My old kart engine had 50hp at 168kg.... didn't need space age materials, roll cage, or seat belt needed front brakes though coz otherwise you will make friends with the fences

back on topic... u'll be fine
Hey Viper, to directly answer your question i don't think it'll make you a worse karter at all. 900 or 90 degrees, when yoo sit down in a kart you should be quite familiar with it by the first meter

To answer the other people here about what i've experienced, i won't say it gave me much advantage speed wise, though there might be things that i don't know of.. : ) Being an active driver for 7 years now, i think karting is so different as it has no suspension, and i feel much more comfortable when i can feel g-forces and so on... I think i've got more benefits from this game from a mental point of view, as you're put in racing situations just like in real life. Your opponents are thinking strategies, just as you, and i see lots of the same patterns on real life karting tracks and races as in lfs
Ayrton Senna - "Karting is the purist form of motorsport, and I couldn't wait to get out of it and into proper cars, saving the karts for cheap piss-abouts with my mates who didn't have race licences".
if I remember correctly Ayrton missed the FF festival to compete in the World Championships back in the early 80's... and who was the best racer Ayrton Senna said ever raced???? Prost? Mansell? surely someone like that?

NO it was 2x World Karting Champion Terry Fullerton... nuff said

Of course he could have skipped karting all together and joined some 2-bit single seater series that no one has heard of racing 6 people? lol that was 2 easy... I apologise.

someone please ban me.. mods... please ban my forum account
Eh? Please don't tell me your part of some serious karting team...

If you’re worried about adjusting between a computer game and the real thing how much feel do you actually have in a kart or anything with wheels for that matter?

I was just in at my work having a blast around the track and in my first 10mins set a pretty hot lap time. Having not done a lap around the circuit for well over half a year and not driven a kart since I stopped racing back in 2003. By my last session completed a lap time which is the fastest I've seen on the 200cc (lawnmore) karts.

LFS will help in any walks of racing. I don't believe it will make anyone quicker (speed wise) but I reckon it keeps you in a better mentality and improves your race craft.
Saying Mr Fullerton was the best racer ever doesn't endorse karting as being 'the best'. He was the best, not neccessarily his choice of vehicle.

Also, I have no intention of racing professionally, so I'm happy racing one of the longest running single seater championships (50 years), that gets regular mentions in Autosport and Motorsport Weekly, against 15+ other people. I'd rather do that than teaching single-parent children how to get in and out of karts like you do.
what do u mean by the single parent thing.
#35 - SamH
If anything, my observation is that RL karting has a negative effect on driving in LFS.

In processing reports and appeals in the CTRA system, there's definitely been a pattern of many RL karters being excessively aggressive into corners, having absolutely attrocious lines around the track, being directly responsible for causing constant collisions and most notably a complete inability to comprehend their errors or accept responsibility for their actions. There's an established pattern of belief, along the lines of "I cannot be wrong.. I am a karter/real-life racer!" A notion that, time and again, is proven to be entirely wrong.

The only thing I can hope is that the same issues don't also follow from karting to RL roads.
If the real kart races were here in LFS, all of the pilots will be treated like "wreckers" (Sorry, bad english)

The real life racing is very nasty
Quote from TRM.13 :The real life racing is very nasty

Yes thankfully most karters seem to mature when they move to bigger things IRL. The sooner we have interlocking wheels in the single seaters the sooner people will drive them more cleanly IMO.
Quote from viper-2007 :what do u mean by the single parent thing.

Looks like a quantification of the number of parents involved in raising their offspring. Which in this case is obviously singular, as it is less than the common dyadic system required in fostering a healthy family environment. Barring common uncontrollable circumstances which can lead to the obvious hindrance any living being can encounter in the form of expiration - that is to say an untimely, or seemingly so, demise - of a parent it can usually, based on statistics, mean the start and the propagation of a rather problematic and unbalanced line of descent. But of course that is just stereotyping based on statistics at best.

Quote from ajp71 :The sooner we have interlocking wheels in the single seaters the sooner people will drive them more cleanly IMO.

And damage that affects aerodynamics. No more sniffing undercarriages with the front wing and getting away with it.
Your screwed man. Once you play LFS you'll never be able to drive a kart again. Pity, you could have been an F1 driver.
Quote from xaotik :Looks like a quantification of the number of parents involved in raising their offspring. Which in this case is obviously singular, as it is less than the common dyadic system required in fostering a healthy family environment. Barring common uncontrollable circumstances which can lead to the obvious hindrance any living being can encounter in the form of expiration - that is to say an untimely, or seemingly so, demise - of a parent it can usually, based on statistics, mean the start and the propagation of a rather problematic and unbalanced line of descent. But of course that is just stereotyping based on statistics at best.

You sir, are quite the wordsmith.
Quote from SamH :If anything, my observation is that RL karting has a negative effect on driving in LFS.

In processing reports and appeals in the CTRA system, there's definitely been a pattern of many RL karters being excessively aggressive into corners, having absolutely attrocious lines around the track, being directly responsible for causing constant collisions and most notably a complete inability to comprehend their errors or accept responsibility for their actions. There's an established pattern of belief, along the lines of "I cannot be wrong.. I am a karter/real-life racer!" A notion that, time and again, is proven to be entirely wrong.

The only thing I can hope is that the same issues don't also follow from karting to RL roads.

I thing is the in karting you can easily land on your head at 60-70mph... What I tend to observe in LFS is people not being observant... and apparently this is OK in LFS... In reality if you not observant you will land on your head.. you can't turn in on people.

So what you get in LFS is karters making moves that in reality would see the driver in front concede, but in LFS they blindly turn in (aka "it's my corner mate"). I have had this happen to me a lot... less so with the new patch however. I don't know why that is but drivers now seem to be better when being done

If you observe a couple of driver in LFS who are both karters you will generally see little contact if any. Because the driver in front is 'generally' being more observant due to the experience from karting. Thats from my own experience.

I think there is a misunderstanding, not what you call "RL karters being excessively aggressive into corners, having absolutely atrocious" This is why you see karters, and RL racers not being able to comprehend the blame. Of course there are some obvious cases, but it IS NOT as clear, and as one-sided as you make out.
Quote from tristancliffe :Ayrton Senna - "Karting is the purist form of motorsport, and I couldn't wait to get out of it and into proper cars, saving the karts for cheap piss-abouts with my mates who didn't have race licences".

Yea, that's what I don't get either, Purist Form.. I think he just means cos of the raw competiveness, not cos it's fast, well anything seems fast skidding on your bare arse. LOL

Quote from tristancliffe :Saying Mr Fullerton was the best racer ever doesn't endorse karting as being 'the best'. He was the best, not neccessarily his choice of vehicle.

I'd rather do that than teaching single-parent children.

How do you do it Tristan, your generalisations are just 100% PERFECT, look Viper even thinks you stalk HIM now!

But back to the topic, I don't like the way karters defend karting.. cos for some reason... it just can't happen in the way they want it to.
Their argument stems from all the F1 greats start in Karting... well, thats true but that isn't where they stay is it? That's the thing that put me off karting, i'm sure my dad would of bagged out money after money to get a kart for me to compete in, and we both would of enjoyed it, but the fact all these F1 wanna'bes that can be basically anyone of any sort of IQ annoys me, and the fact I would just be another randomer in karting, to me, automatically makes me look like 'LOOK AT ME MUM I AM AN F1 DRIVER'. WELL NOT YET MUM BUT ILL GET A SPONSER SOON, IT WILL HAPPEN I PROMISE WE GET YOU OUT OF THE COUNCIL HOUSE!'(yea right, like you can own a kart and live in a council house.

Most can't afford it, and the ones in rowdy estates get stuff nicked!' I'd prefer to race in T-cars or something more.... less mainstream, cos Even tho I am bollocks slow myself, I'd like to know the other guys aren't ones who don't have an initiative and can't understand irony.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yea, that's what I don't get either, Purist Form.. I think he just means cos of the raw competiveness, not cos it's fast, well anything seems fast skidding on your bare arse. LOL

purist in the sense of going fast with the less amount of impurities.

3 key ingredients...

chassis - engine - tyres

'back in the day' when karts were karts the were the simplist way of going fast and the perfect expression of driving. The BARE minimal is between your foot and the power being laid down on the road. No clutch, Not suspension, no diff, no harness, no roll cage, no shock absorbers, ZERO protection, no unnecessary weight etc... just your foot and power.. However even I would admit that 'modern' karts are what I would consider 'pure'.
I just don't understand how you could seem to love KARTS more than ACTUALL cars... that's what it seems like..
#45 - SamH
Quote from Intrepid :Of course there are some obvious cases, but it IS NOT as clear, and as one-sided as you make out.

Please don't misunderstand me.. I'm not making it out to be one thing or the other. I'm just relaying my personal experience, not taking one example and painting everyone over with the same brush.

It *could* equally be the case that 95% of karters in LFS never identify themselves as karters, are absolutely brilliant in LFS and are never brought to the attention of the CTRA admins. However, my observation is still my observation.. that those who cause accidents, loudly boast RL karting/racing experience and also loudly claim innocence in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, are usually actually pretty bloody awful drivers
Quote from SamH :Please don't misunderstand me.. I'm not making it out to be one thing or the other. I'm just relaying my personal experience, not taking one example and painting everyone over with the same brush.

It *could* equally be the case that 95% of karters in LFS never identify themselves as karters, are absolutely brilliant in LFS and are never brought to the attention of the CTRA admins. However, my observation is still my observation.. that those who cause accidents, loudly boast RL karting/racing experience and also loudly claim innocence in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, are usually actually pretty bloody awful drivers

I would love to actually see some examples this please.
Sam is right about the whole "I do karting, I AM RIGHT" mentality
Quote from BlueFlame :I just don't understand how you could seem to love KARTS more than ACTUALL cars... that's what it seems like..

Because karts are friggin awesome I think it was Coulthard in his new book that said the closest thing to a Grand Prix car in terms of feel was a well setup kart (don't quote me on that).. and he's not the only one to say that. and when I can get a fast kart for £1500 what is there not to like?

its all about power to weight ration 50hp 158kg (man I muiss my old Aixro) you feel EVERYTHING... the is nothing between you and the road..... in a car... it isn't so 'at one'... having said that me old pug gti 1.9 was good fun... but cars are heavy and boring... you can't slide a car under braking...
Quote from Intrepid : but cars are heavy and boring... you can't slide a car under braking...

Tell Walter Röhl that
#50 - SamH
Quote from Intrepid :I would love to actually see some examples this please.

Sure. I'll PM you a couple of ReportIDs of recent examples.

Karting Vs LFS
(111 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG