The online racing simulator
Quote : Are you a Seinfeld fan? Here's a quote for those in the know:
"It was a million to one shot doc, a million to one..."

And because it seems apt, here's a Terry Pratchett quote,

"Wizards have calculated that million to one shots occur 9 times out of 10."
Damn, I'm stupid. I read "seat" and thought about the car "SEAT" and looked everywhere on the page for this car. Remember, learning chemistry can cause major thinking problems!
Is it just me or do the last 3 demo players in this thread sound like walking advertisements?
No its not you
Personally I can't understand how the iVibe people can't put there brains together and use OutSim and OutGauge to do it... Seems to me as if they want someone else to do the dirty work and take the profits from that... Without a doubt LFS is probably one of the bigger markets of racing sims.

I'm sure Scawen would easily use some of his time that could be put to use on things in LFS that will make more of his customers happier if he was getting paid to add this support. Not unreasonable if you ask me, if someone wants to profit from the game and wants someone else to do the work for them.

Keiran
Quote from sgt.flippy :Is it just me or do the last 3 demo players in this thread sound like walking advertisements?

Why was that what I was thinking when I read a page full of pro-iVibe drivel from a demo users first post.

@craigth - I still don't get what possible use the gear or road surface could have for your rumble seat. Why can't you just take it straight from the physics engine?

Please don't tell me you aren't going to use canned effects if you need to know what surface it's on. Seriously have you played much LFS with a FF wheel. If LFS really is a high priority I'd strongly suggest buying it and at least seeing what it's about and you'll soon realise why no one here wants to go back to the typical canned effects.
I would be interested in this product if it supported LFS.

I am a bit puzzled why it doesn't support the G forces affect as this is easily available from LFS. I can see how some of the effects might not be possible, but the major selling point seems to be the G force affect and this could be implimented without anything extra from Scawen.

Supporting LFS might not work with the standard software but surely the size of LFS justifies a slightly bespoke version?

Maxim
#33 - Woz
Quote from MaximUK :I would be interested in this product if it supported LFS.

I am a bit puzzled why it doesn't support the G forces affect as this is easily available from LFS. I can see how some of the effects might not be possible, but the major selling point seems to be the G force affect and this could be implimented without anything extra from Scawen.

Supporting LFS might not work with the standard software but surely the size of LFS justifies a slightly bespoke version?

Maxim

Yep, the 301 platform manages to get all the information required to run a full 3DOF motion platform.
@Pedro88/craigth - we're not against it because we don't like the idea. We've already shown you that LFS has the capability to get almost all the data you want (it runs motion simulators ffs) you just want it done for you. That isn't going to happen, what you've done is made a vibrating seat it is not rocket science why on earth can't you just model the forces acting on the car (assumed a nice simple rigid body in LFS) in which the driver sits. If you can model flight sims then why not race sims in the same way. It seems pretty clear to me that for whatever reason you don't want or the seat isn't capable of dynamic physics based vibration and is purely canned effects (hence why you need to know surface types and so on). I think it's fairly safe to say the Devs are not going to be interested in helping you support something which, despite what you say, is just a giant canned rumble effects thing.
#35 - Woz
Quote from Pedro88 :To be completely honest, I am NOT an LFS user, nor am I an LFS fan, and I personally couldn't care less whether it was impleneted or not for iVibe.

So you join the forum a few days ago for a sim you don't play, don't care about and don't even care if support is added to a product you have bought from a company you say you have no relationship with.

Can you not see that even if you have NOTHING to do with the makers of iVibe or if the makers of iVibe have not asked you post that it could still be seen that way and why people have called you on it.

Does look a little suss.
pedro88,calivyper,craigth,

Money talks. I could work with you to implement iVibe. There's quite a few people here who know how to do it - we all use different tools, in my case just throw me a dll with the function calls, 2 seats and £500, and you'll get your LFS support application.

Why two seats? Because i'll give one away as a prize in my league and slap some adverts for it around the track in our race broadcasts.

The other seat i'll keep.

The £500 is for my dying pet pigeon. Cancer you know. Terrible disease.
#37 - CSU1
Craig I can't seem to get a straight answer from your site, how does it work? Does it use the sound from the game then convert to mechanical feedback using those 26 voltDC motors?
Quote from Becky Rose :pedro88,calivyper,craigth,

Money talks. I could work with you to implement iVibe. There's quite a few people here who know how to do it - we all use different tools, in my case just throw me a dll with the function calls, 2 seats and £500, and you'll get your LFS support application.

Why two seats? Because i'll give one away as a prize in my league and slap some adverts for it around the track in our race broadcasts.

The other seat i'll keep.

The £500 is for my dying pet pigeon. Cancer you know. Terrible disease.

Becky, did you get the job? =)

Does anyone know if there's been progress with this?

TFS users: is it worth buying the TFS for LFS without proper support?
To my knowledge no one has approached anyone on the forum with regards to developing an iVibe driver romus74. I maybe wrong, but that's not likely to be something that would be kept under wraps for very long.

Should the iVibe guys appear again, may I suggest looking at the programmers subforum and taking a look around - many people there are willing to help out if you already have a programmer. If not, whilst I can only speak for myself, I'm sure there are those who frequent there who would be happy to create a tool to allow it to be used with LFS. Provided certain conditions were met. Naturally that would be the perogative of whoever was involved

Without any support at all for LFS, I can't see why you'd want one at all. Unless you aim to use it with something else.
#40 - Woz
Both Becky and I have talked with the person but as soon as you want information about the seat and what it is capable of he goes VERY quiet.

I offered to create the interface using the outsim X/Y/Z data to drive the seat but no. He still believes he needs to know what texture each wheel is on etc. Stupid really as the outsim data gives ALL the queues required.

Stupid really. If the seat just does vibration it is a pointless device, I can just sit a sub under my seat. If it can do more and give more realistic force data then outsim offers everything required.

This really means 1 of 2 things.

1) They have NO real dev experience in house and want the LFS devs to hand them everything on a plate.

2) Its nothing more that a rumble effect in a seat.

Shame as I was interested in the device.
#41 - JTbo
How on earth sub could do anything else than make canned vibrations, reason they need to know what is under wheel is that sub need to play gravel or tarmac vibration in correct place and that is about it.

Perhaps i part of name is that they have made some nicely vibrating (canned) gravel sounds that do play when "it is on gravel" signal is received etc.

If you are looking more than that from it, I'm afraid you will be very disappointed, I fail to see any use for simulations, for arcade games perhaps nice effect.
#42 - Woz
Quote from JTbo :How on earth sub could do anything else than make canned vibrations, reason they need to know what is under wheel is that sub need to play gravel or tarmac vibration in correct place and that is about it.

Perhaps i part of name is that they have made some nicely vibrating (canned) gravel sounds that do play when "it is on gravel" signal is received etc.

If you are looking more than that from it, I'm afraid you will be very disappointed, I fail to see any use for simulations, for arcade games perhaps nice effect.

From what I understand the actuators can actually deal with vector details, they say as much on their site. If this is the case then they could give slight motion queues if done subtly enough.

Anyway, I have contacted them again and offered my services to create the drivers they want for LFS. I will update this thread if/when I hear back.
Quote from Woz :From what I understand the actuators can actually deal with vector details, they say as much on their site. If this is the case then they could give slight motion queues if done subtly enough.

Anyway, I have contacted them again and offered my services to create the drivers they want for LFS. I will update this thread if/when I hear back.

I hope they take you up on your offer. It is puzzling to me why they wouldn't release a version that doesn't respond to track surface but does respond to all other inputs which seems to be easily achievable. Other than rally cross the lack of off road sensations seems to be a very minor advantage. To be honest I would probably buy one if it only responded to the g forces for left and right and braking and acceleration. Responding to rumble strips is a bonus and all this seems like an easy job given the info available from LFS at the moment.

Maxim
#44 - Woz
Quote from MaximUK :I hope they take you up on your offer. It is puzzling to me why they wouldn't release a version that doesn't respond to track surface but does respond to all other inputs which seems to be easily achievable. Other than rally cross the lack of off road sensations seems to be a very minor advantage. To be honest I would probably buy one if it only responded to the g forces for left and right and braking and acceleration. Responding to rumble strips is a bonus and all this seems like an easy job given the info available from LFS at the moment.

Maxim

Actually I feel they have blinded themselves with their canned effects based on road surfaces, current gear and the rest of the crap they feel they need.

LFS has all the signals to drive a full motion platform. This means if they just used this data they would have accurate information about how the car is bouncing around. They can then use that to drive the chair.

Lets face it, if you leave the head tilt and G movement enabled in LFS the screen bounces around as you expect it to when the surface is not 100% smooth. You can see the car bounce and I believe all this will feed through the data in outsim.

Instead they believe the only way to go is canned effects triggered off things like the texture each tire is on, the current gear etc. Does anyone have one of these seats AND rTractor so they can say what it feels like etc.

Still no response from my email to them BTW.
I think you might be right and perhaps indicates they miss one of the reasons why the ivibe seat would sell to the LFS crowd as a serious SIM? Seems to me the iVibe could be considered the poor man's motion simulator if implemented correctly? The effects would be subtle but still add to the immersion factor. At least that's why I am interested. Effects triggered by off road excursions really hold no appeal to me. If you can feed the suspension forces to the four corners of the seat which seems easily achievable then it would seem to be well on the way to fulfilling this goal. Maybe I have just missed something though?

Fingers crossed that they are still on holiday and that your services come cheaply enough for them to consider.

Maxim
I have just re-read the iVibe site and I don't think it is capable of acheiving what I hoped for.

"Each tactile feedback device has within it a tactile feedback actuator, which consists of a very powerful motor that throws around a weight that has been optimized for its mass and shape, thereby yielding the maximum angular momentum potential possible for the power and efficiency characteristics of the motor we use. In simpler terms, this means the combination motor and weight inside our tactile feedback actuators is the perfect solution for making the precise type of vibration we require.

When our tactile feedback actuators do their thing, they perform physical work that creates physical vibration. This type of vibration is vastly superior to a loud speaker that tries to vibrate you with sound waves. You'll know what we mean when you try the system!"

Sounds lime it is only capable of generating vibrations not producing constant pressure on say the left side to simulate a right turn. Given it is limited to creating vibrations only might explain why it is not suitable for LFS?

Maxim
Reading that blurb makes it sound more like a fancy buttocks massaging device than any sort of useful feedback generator.
Quote from xaotik :Reading that blurb makes it sound more like a fancy buttocks massaging device than any sort of useful feedback generator.

I think it would be the same as sitting on 6 (or so) playstation controllers.
early s2 versions showed the terrain under each tyre when in F9 mode, but anyway this doesnt sound like a good device, it isnt difficult to use in/out sim and scawen has provided and has showed that justifiable requests will be included into in/out sim, theres no reason why the thing shouldnt support lfs, unless it really is just a canned system.
flippy here got it nail on
For $250? I think I can settle with the $50 deal on the Butt Kicker - even if it IS based off sound and not vibrations it doesn't seem these guys are too ready to support LFS... And as for the games they do support, well their ads turned me away to be honest, it doesn't sound too professional and if I am giving someone that much money, I better be able to trust them and their product. My opinion. Anyway why did this thread get reopened? Cause I sat there and read year old stuff until I looked at the date when I got to the bottom of the page : / Then came to the next page and skimmed some more but didn't understand the point in reopening this old thing.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG