The online racing simulator
Lost Connection To Host
(23 posts, started )
Lost Connection To Host
gday guys

every so often when im in the middle of a good race it kicks me out and says lost connection to host????
my internet doesnt go down or anything and i just got a brand new comp for christmas???
does any1 have any ideas??

thanx
If you're in Australia, and playing European servers, chances are you have a high ping. So you will lose connection every so often, especially on full servers. At least, I think that's whats wrong...
If their is nothing wrong with your PC/Internet, it'll be probably packet loss that is causing you to loose connection.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If you're in Australia, and playing European servers, chances are you have a high ping. So you will lose connection every so often, especially on full servers. At least, I think that's whats wrong...

my ping is around 340.....thats not very high is it?
Quote from Danielw597 :If their is nothing wrong with your PC/Internet, it'll be probably packet loss that is causing you to loose connection.

is there a way you can fix that?
#7 - JeffR
I ran LFS online for the first time in over a year to check out patch Y changes. The only server at Blackwood with players was using the FOX, so I ran my first and only race ever with the FOX, with the default race setup, joining at the start of the race to avoid getting in front of any other players, and ended up winning the race because the 1st place player, Mephisto, got disconnected on lap 5 of a 6 lap race, and the other players spun out and/or crashed into each other. Never having run this car before, I barely got my lap times down into the 1:15 range while the two fast guys were 1:11 or so.
yes, your post makes much sense in this thread. (like mine)
Quote from arrowkart4 :my ping is around 340.....thats not very high is it?

Thats very high. Perfect is below 100.
My ping is in the 50s for most European servers, and I never lose connection unless the server is full. When I join American servers, I get pings of around 400, and I will normally get disconnected every 3 - 5 minutes.

The only answer is to get a better connection (I have 3mbps, but someone in Australia would need maybe 10-15mbps), or to move to a different continent...
how do u see your ping , and if i understand corectly 15 mbps , i run on 54 mbps and lag badly , so whats my problem , help lol , ill be thankful .
Quote from jwardy :how do u see your ping , and if i understand corectly 15 mbps , i run on 54 mbps and lag badly , so whats my problem , help lol , ill be thankful .

54 mbps? Are you sure its not 56kbps? I could be wrong but I really don't see how anyone could lag with that connection, in the UK! I have virtually no lag with 3mbps!

To find your ping, go to multiplayer in LFS. Display the list of games, and beside the name of each one is your ping time to each of them. If you live in UK, try seeing your ping times for the CTRA servers, that should be a good indication...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :54 mbps? Are you sure its not 56kbps? I could be wrong but I really don't see how anyone could lag with that connection, in the UK! I have virtually no lag with 3mbps!

To find your ping, go to multiplayer in LFS. Display the list of games, and beside the name of each one is your ping time to each of them. If you live in UK, try seeing your ping times for the CTRA servers, that should be a good indication...

He lives in Spain
The speed of the internet has little to with ping, sometimes slower connection hold better than fast one, but the matter is usually packet loss,packet shaping and slowing down ports by the ISP.

Never use wireless, that means packetloss for sure.

I had this problem for a while, and complained to my isp, who didnt do anything about it cos i was a "online player", but i kept on and all of a sudden they fixed it.
The explaination was that LFS uses high ports, around 30000, and there they slow down ports to slow down P2P downloads.
Quote from niall09 :He lives in Spain

ah...I didn't see location, I just looked at the flag!

Quote from Arni Arnason :The speed of the internet has little to with ping, sometimes slower connection hold better than fast one, but the matter is usually packet loss,packet shaping and slowing down ports by the ISP.

But running a faster connection will definetly help

For example, try playing LFS online with dial-up, and check your pings. Then see what it's like with a good broadband connection. I agree that it isn't a complete fix, but it helps!
Quote from jwardy :how do u see your ping , and if i understand corectly 15 mbps , i run on 54 mbps and lag badly , so whats my problem , help lol , ill be thankful .

You'll probably find that your internet speed is not 54mbps, but that is your local connection to your own wireless home router/access point.

There are many posts around regarding wireless. The long and short of it is, don't use it.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :But running a faster connection will definetly help

Once you get to a certain point speed does not equate to quality and various other factors come into play.

You can have the fastest internet connection to your ISP that the world can provide, but if your ISP's connections to else where in the world are rubbish then you're stuffed.

When it comes to the far side of the world (Australia, etc. in particular), you will notice that the latency you get with talking to systems over this side of the world is horrific. Partially this is due to the distance and partially to do with the lack of large internet backbones going to and from rest of the internet from there. This results in busier lines, and naturally also has an effect.

I would like to point out that if you think a 350ms response is bad then consider the technical feat here;
That's a signal being relayed from your computer, around the world, and back in 0.35 seconds.

Yes, this is a long time, and yes you're not used to such "slow" speeds (comparatively speaking), but it is an impressive feat nonetheless.
I meant if you have DSL line , the speed doesnt matter much
Quote from Arni Arnason :I meant if you have DSL line , the speed doesnt matter much

Don't worry, I know what you meant.. Just thought I should clear it up, just incase though
im only on wireless cos its all i can use were i am , dsl wont conect properly i lagged even worse before , i have a technitian comin up tomorrow so ill get him to help me .
Ive always found if the connection/server list does not load completely within 2 or 3 seconds then theres no point in joining a server, I disconnect/reconnect my broadband until it does.
Quote from Arni Arnason :

Never use wireless, that means packetloss for sure.

That is not true. I am connected wireless to my router. Never have a problem with packet loss.
any server i ever go on to is 180 or below. other wise the ping is too high
yeha high ping sir

Lost Connection To Host
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG