The online racing simulator
#1 - Kuang
New feel for old cars since Patch Y
I know that the new patch has some model specific changes and improvements, but I was just wondering if people felt their favourite cars had changed for the better or worse as a result of the improved physic and assorted tweaks.

The reason I'm asking is because I've just spent a very happy hour or so hammering the LX4 around, and couldn't believe how different it feels now - even though there have been no LX4 specific adjustments, it seems more solid and progressive with less snappiness and smoother handling. I used to find it enjoyable if a bit too twitchy, but now it's a complete blast

Of course I could be imagining this, but a good couple of seconds off my laptimes suggests otherwise. Have you noticed other cars benefiting from the update, and how?
I've only driven some XFG and FBM since the new patch, and the new engine inertia really makes the difference! The XFG feels kinda stronger and it revs more realistically now, and what i also noticed that it is somehow more stable under heavy braking, maybe because of my uber skills but i don't think so..
Quote from Kuang :Thow different it feels now - even though there have been no LX4 specific adjustments, it seems more solid and progressive with less snappiness and smoother handling.

Well, the patch have some physics improvements and changes in the engine inertia (or something like that) in all the cars, thats why.

On a side note. Could someone explain to me exactly which changes were made to the egnine? Me no understand.
#4 - JTbo
Engine inertia changes (heavier flywheels, which causes them to change revs bit slower) is which makes this quite big difference, now LX cars are really fun to drive and I recommend everyone to try them even if they did not liked them before.

I find myself mostly from LX4 and LX6 now
Since i'm driving FZR the most, here are my notices:

It's back again mens car. In patch X it was restricted with those 80kg, and we usually put it on front of car, now it's again good old FZR from patch W with all weight on back, and it's again onversteery

I quite like it, it's challange. TBH many ppl hate that H shifter, i used to hate it in first too, but it can be fun when you get used to it, and you can do some tactic with it, like when you are in great lap you don't cut, and in others you do
With all the complaints about the XRT, I was curious about a car that I hardly drove, so I have been driving it a lot offline. I made a setup for all the Aston long courses, with understeer like the way I want, and the car can be rotated quite easily with the throttle, invoking gentle slides and drifts through high speed turns.

It is actually a pretty fun car with a non drift setup. Who knew?

Quote from JTbo :Engine inertia changes (heavier flywheels, which causes them to change revs bit slower) is which makes this quite big difference, now LX cars are really fun to drive and I recommend everyone to try them even if they did not liked them before.

Same here; the LX6 is not so terrifying now.
#7 - avih
The one major difference I noticed other than RPM limiter and clutch related is, that at least the FOX tends to spin much less when the wheels on one side of the car get on the grass or sand, while the other pair of wheels remain on the tarmac. Don't know how realistic it was/is though.
Well that isnt the case for the FBM... While 1 side of the car is on grass while other on tarmac, it will tend to fish-tail.. I have to try keep it from sliding round
Is it just me or does the FZ5 feel like it has no power or RPM anymore..

that used to be my main drift car...... it can't do shat now its terrible
Quote from JessesAE86 :Is it just me or does the FZ5 feel like it has no power or RPM anymore..

that used to be my main drift car...... it can't do shat now its terrible

To me it feels like a well sorted chassis with a powerful engine able to put the power down. It doesn't feel powerful anymore because it's no longer out of control when you mash the gas.
it's ok having the revs being so limited in the racing cars?, i mean, XRR, FXR, FZR, FO8, FOX... i was thinking that kind of rev limiting it was just for road cars only, not on racing cars since you should have more control over the engine, just a question if someone can answer it . Now i feel that the top speed of FO8 (my fav car :razz it's a bit cut down with this

anyway i guess it's ok for now... since the engines just can't blow up

The rest of the cars are much better, i(for some reason) can fell better the understeer and oversteer of the cars, it fells more real. before Y patch i felt from time to time like running on "ice" O.o, specially when you see the old WR's, it's like they were driving over a very slipery track
I mainly only race the XRR when I'm in a GTR class mood. I noticed that it seems turbo lag actually effects my driving! If I come out of a turn slow and my gear set up isn't right and I'm slightly bogged, man is it hard to get that turbo spooled. I am learning to get on the gas wee bit earlier now to spool the turbo up, maybe blip the clutch. I like it, so much more to racing, it's addicting to master such a steep learning curve. Stamp of Approval
Dont if its the way i drive ( most proberly) but my XFR seems to lose cornering abilty after 5-6 laps at Blackwood , just will not turn sharp enough and i have to break more
#14 - JTbo
Quote from piratebob :Dont if its the way i drive ( most proberly) but my XFR seems to lose cornering abilty after 5-6 laps at Blackwood , just will not turn sharp enough and i have to break more

Sounds to me that your tires are over heating, which tire compound are you using (R1, R2, R3)? R1 and R2 are not perhaps very good for racing, try different tires, they will have different grip and also they will heat and wear differently too, R3 is not so grippy but does not overheat as easily as R1 tires.
i used to drive the fox all the time before Y but now i dont like it anymore.. it feels like it has no power and too much grip(i loved to oversteer my way through corners) now i play with road car and i'm having so much fun (especially with the ufr on ctra server)
JTbo, cheers i will take that onboard and try some different tyres and setting.
#17 - FL!P
The car that I find has changed the most is the FO8. Now I think it feels like CTRA's FJR (that has intake restriction and additional weight). I've never driven a Formula V8 IRL, unfortunately, so I may be completely wrong, but I found the FO8 more realistic in X than in Y. More exciting, too.
I spent quite a bit of time recently driving the RAC, which I'm enjoying more now than in the past. It still has its quirks of course, but they're not quite as apparent as they were in the past. But then going to the LX4 from the RAC, wow. Wonderful. None of that turn in understeer, it'll go just where you point it, and on the exit it's easy to get the tail out a little to help rotate the car. Just does exactly what you want, I now remember why I love this car so much! I spent some time with the LX6 again after the LX4 and it's certainly a rush, feels good putting the power down, but overall I think the LX4 is a more balanced and fun machine on the limit. The power doesn't overwhelm the chassis, and you can just make it dance.
#19 - JTbo
Quote from Michael Denham :I spent quite a bit of time recently driving the RAC, which I'm enjoying more now than in the past. It still has its quirks of course, but they're not quite as apparent as they were in the past. But then going to the LX4 from the RAC, wow. Wonderful. None of that turn in understeer, it'll go just where you point it, and on the exit it's easy to get the tail out a little to help rotate the car. Just does exactly what you want, I now remember why I love this car so much! I spent some time with the LX6 again after the LX4 and it's certainly a rush, feels good putting the power down, but overall I think the LX4 is a more balanced and fun machine on the limit. The power doesn't overwhelm the chassis, and you can just make it dance.

Volvolandia LX server is there then for some LX racing fun, we have also those Wednesday events, where racing with friends is more important than winning

Actually have to think what to do tomorrow with it as people are on Christmas brake, but next year those run for certain.
#20 - fj91
Is it possible to deactivate the RPM limiter? I seriously hate it!
I agree with Boris on the XFG.. It does feel a lot more stable under heavy braking. For me, the same goes with the XRG and XRT, and the XFG definitely feels stronger. The XRG, on the other hand, feels a bit weaker to me..
this is not a moan or complaint about patch Y.............

i was .18 away from my CD1 licence, pre Y. now im BBQing front left and im 1.5 - 2secs away again in the FXR and 5 laps or so cant get the dam thing to turn in! trouble is i ve not got huge amounts of free time, so id rather be racing than working on sets...i know i`ll get there in the end. i hope!
Quote from Raybrig :this is not a moan or complaint about patch Y.............

i was .18 away from my CD1 licence, pre Y. now im BBQing front left and im 1.5 - 2secs away again in the FXR and 5 laps or so cant get the dam thing to turn in! trouble is i ve not got huge amounts of free time, so id rather be racing than working on sets...i know i`ll get there in the end. i hope!

I would solicit Birder, the one runs Cone Dodgers, to change the WR to reflect the new changes.
Quote from Michael Denham :I spent quite a bit of time recently driving the RAC, which I'm enjoying more now than in the past. It still has its quirks of course, but they're not quite as apparent as they were in the past. But then going to the LX4 from the RAC, wow. Wonderful. None of that turn in understeer, it'll go just where you point it, and on the exit it's easy to get the tail out a little to help rotate the car. Just does exactly what you want, I now remember why I love this car so much! I spent some time with the LX6 again after the LX4 and it's certainly a rush, feels good putting the power down, but overall I think the LX4 is a more balanced and fun machine on the limit. The power doesn't overwhelm the chassis, and you can just make it dance.

I feel the same way, I've always preferred the LX4 to the LX6 and it's one of the reasons I've never really cared about the possibility of an LX8. The LX4 is just so well balanced, you can really throw it around and it responds so well.
However I grabbed the BL1 setup for the LX6 that Axus posted in his thread about locked diffs and it was a lot nicer to drive than any I've tried previously. My theory is that most setups are hampered by attempting to tame its power but this setup felt more like the LX4.
Quote from Crash Dummy :To me it feels like a well sorted chassis with a powerful engine able to put the power down. It doesn't feel powerful anymore because it's no longer out of control when you mash the gas.

Yeah, the FZ50 is such a pleasure to drive now.
So much more predictable, and that's in a positive sense. It was off the friggin' dial before. I reckon it can be driven consistently enough now to be raced by the masses.

I haven't really had a go at the LX6 yet, but grab will Axus' set and give it a whirl tomorrow.

Patch Y ftw!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG