The online racing simulator
I think the real reason for the change (well the best bit anyway) is the fact those silly flat kerbs with a huge green matting run off area that could be (and had to be) driven on with no punishment, hardly realistic really and one of the little things that really put my dad off LFS.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I never understood why people used the BMW Sauber on Blackwood anyway. Blackwood is a club racing track at best, even the FO8 struggles slightly around there. You don't see F1 going to Thruxton or Oulton Park do you?

The BF1 is fine round Blackwood, although there's the issue that the car's dull but that's a different issue. The FO8 on the other hand is fantastic round Blackwood and ideally suited for it. There's no reason why you couldn't happily race a modern big single seater round Thruxton or Oulton Park (and Euroboss do).
The whole thing is much better now imho. I like the middle sector immensely, especially the way the smaller kerb on the outside runs out before you get towards the esses.
Here's another vote for it being better than before.
#29 - ste_
Quote from kurent :Both drivers are me, so the racing line is similar hehe. Both laps were not just a run thru but hotlap attempts. But it doesn't really need to be to roughly show you how the track has been changed.

I stand totally corrected! I installed X and removed the background image on the track selector and took a picture of blackwood, and then did the same with Y. And here's what it shows.. a big difference!
Attached images
Difference copy.jpg
I guess they did a great job in making a huge change, but still making it feel the same as the old one. I love the changes, it has made Blackwood as hard as it used to be in S1. Remember that first chicane used to have proper South City style walls around it, carnage.
Quote from ste_ :And here's what it shows.. a big difference!

Indeed! Tests we did in the lab here provided further insight.
Attached images
xon.png
#32 - ste_
X on LSD is really cool because I sat on the grid staring at the lights on my dashboard for three hours... by then the acid had warn off and in actual fact i had been looking at a shoe really really closely.
Quote from xaotik :Indeed! Tests we did in the lab here provided further insight.

Looks like you are on a hunt for more votes in the funniest forum personality poll.
#34 - joen
Quote from xaotik :Indeed! Tests we did in the lab here provided further insight.

intriguing
#35 - Iron
Ahahahaha, rotfl.
Quote from Misko :
I wanted to upload a great S1 racing video for comparison (looked and sounded so amazingly realistic. Some of you probably have it, it's called something like "HaRDCoRe - Last S1 Movie" and it was on LFS Movies Pit).... but it would take way too long, and you can find yourself anyway how old Blackwood looked like.

Helloe, I still have it on server, dl here

hard to find this stuff in S2 anymore, golden memories

(now ppl go race and race good or there won't be hardcore part II - the last S2 movie :yummy
Quote from Misko :I wanted to upload a great S1 racing video for comparison (looked and sounded so amazingly realistic. Some of you probably have it, it's called something like "HaRDCoRe - Last S1 Movie" and it was on LFS Movies Pit).... but it would take way too long, and you can find yourself anyway how old Blackwood looked like.

didnt the old one require you to plow straight through a bunch of cones to be fast ?
I was a bit bored today and...
Attached images
BlackwoodComparison_fromPTHfile.PNG
#39 - Gizz
personly i have fell inlove with BL again its got its venom back, i just LOVE the esses now and a LOT MORE technical overal, the runoff's took the longest to get used to but overall i think they did a awsome job and well worth the dev time...
Quote from (FIN)Eza :Helloe, I still have it on server, dl here

hard to find this stuff in S2 anymore, golden memories

(now ppl go race and race good or there won't be hardcore part II - the last S2 movie )

\o/

Quote from Shotglass :didnt the old one require you to plow straight through a bunch of cones to be fast ?

Yes, that middle sector always had some sort of problem like that until this latest version. But last sector was much nicer in 0.3.
Im not quite sure about the change, it has made it quite a bit harder to pass people at the end of the long straight with the corner being alot tighter so sometimes if none of you are willing to pull back someone can end up in the grass/dirt (this is in xfg). But on the other hand I seem to be lapping alot faster than everyone else . (so far anyway! I hope they dont catch up!) In the end the changes have been made and iv adapted quite well so im ok with it so far.
yeah my times with the XRG there are about the same, i like how the straight after the long straight isnt straight any more. Makes it more fun.
Quote from ste_ :X on LSD is really cool because I sat on the grid staring at the lights on my dashboard for three hours... by then the acid had warn off and in actual fact i had been looking at a shoe really really closely.

If it wore off in 3 hours, I'm afraid you were sold some inferior imitation. Probably something the Chinese manufactured.

Did is say RSD on it ?
Quote from Misko :Yes, deffinitely new Blackwood is much better in that middle sector, closer to the original one in tightness and best ever in runoffs. Previous S2 one was too fast and too much runoff areas had to be used to be fast which was not obvious to anyone that tries it the first time. It was especially evident when we put LFS in Belgrade Motorshow, and we saw how many people drive BL1 XFG. Even Miloš Pavlović, Formula Renault driver, had troubles with that middle section, of course never even thinking to drive on green stuff. (and he was by 1s fastest among first timers )

I even heard comments from people watching our online races in Blackwood how we "lack racing culture" because we drove far out of white lines.

I wish Blackwood is even slower in the final section, there's still too much runoffs, specially on entry to final corner which we take wide on tarmac off the curb completely. It's not intuitive and it doesn't look nice either.

I wanted to upload a great S1 racing video for comparison (looked and sounded so amazingly realistic. Some of you probably have it, it's called something like "HaRDCoRe - Last S1 Movie" and it was on LFS Movies Pit).... but it would take way too long, and you can find yourself anyway how old Blackwood looked like.

lol a buddy of mine when watching me run it for the first time was like "Hey your cheating!"...I could only say "You kinda have to..."

I think its nicer now that the you don't have the huge strip to use on the out side of the race track....You can't complain that people are getting pushed off track because no one will relent, that is racing.

At the same time I don't think its that unrealistic for us to use these portions of the track when they are there...Ive seen F1 drivers practically on the other side of the rumble strip if there is tarmac there, can't blame a racer for being creative and using the whole road...thats what it is about. Its like race teams using things that aren't expressly forbidden (yet ) Its the nature of racing.
I think the reason for the layout changes was to try to add new content without really adding any new content at all. The new Blackwood is very different to drive on than the old one. My first lap on it was a real challenge, even though I raced a lot on the old track (in both directions).

I honestly think that nobody misses the old Blackwood cause everybody raced there a lot in the past, and this way we sort of have new content, because this track is different than the old one.
#46 - JJ72
I still think it's far too wide though
I don't like that area after the steight. I like the mesh there that I can drive on. I get more understeer in all cars there now.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I don't like that area after the steight. I like the mesh there that I can drive on. I get more understeer in all cars there now.

I think you "think" your getting understeer when your actually going in too "hot" because the corner(in non-reversed) is abit tighter,and the exit is abit skinier than before.

Edit: http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=45321&d=1198433047
Quote from (FIN)Eza :hard to find this stuff in S2 anymore, golden memories

Amen to that. Such golden memories of those times.

On topic, I also like the changes made, more interesting to drive now.
The biggest difference I've noticed is braking for T1, there's not as much track between the crest and the apex as there used to be. Overall I really like the improved layout :up:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG