The online racing simulator
Reasoning behind BL1 track layout change
This is not a patch Y bashing thread, I love the new car with the new gear changing method, brings a lot of fun to the smaller tracks. and im sure with time many of the complaints regarding the other cars will be sorted with improved/modified sets to work with patch Y.

But im confused as to why the layout of BL1 at the end of the long straight has been made tighter with less run off area, Was it just changed to slow the cars down, which on its on is a strange decision.
-
(kompa) DELETED by XCNuse
Quote from kompa :u tuchsubjek - nevrgo tuchcaca su jec

edit: ur bolloxerr

What? It's a legitimate question.
#3 - JTbo
It was said that changes are made so that it will be more interesting for slower cars and sure they have been successful in that as now it is much more challenging to drive
I like the new one, it is more challenging now, and it remembers me the old Blackwood (0.1) for the second split (not a flat straight line between the the two corners)
#6 - JTbo
Quote from Flotch :I like the new one, it is more challenging now, and it remembers me the old Blackwood (0.1) for the second split (not a flat straight line between the the two corners)

That must be why I like it so much now, it has actually pretty lot of similarities to that old one when I start to think, would be interesting to compare how close it is to that old Blackwood (with old I mean old 0.1 track that we had before S1)
For slower cars I guess your right and it would be more fun, for the faster cars espec the BF1 its frustrating, in time when we have forgotten previous PB's it wont hurt as much.

Maybe in the next update we will get a nice new BF1 track
-deleted the uselessness quote, and post-

To the OP:

I was a little confused by it myself, when the preview video was out, it talked about changes to blackwood, and while I like the idea that its narrower, and it certainly seems more challenging to drive, I was expecting something more than a reduction in the run-off area, and the little curve that is down there at the bottom of the main straight.

Ive yet to see (yet to try either to be honest) but yet to see any change to "make it more interesting for lower powered cars" as was seemingly claimed in the preview video.

I was expecting some kinda chicane, temp or not on or after the back straight.

All in all, id like to give it more time before saying much more.
I preffered the old blackwood myself. I especially dislike the turn after the long straight when one car can be forced onto the grass before the 2nd chicane.

I made this comparison (previous attachement doesn't work)
Attached images
BL1_differencePatchY.PNG
I think the changes are all for the best, personally. And BL1 was never a track fit for the BF1--wouldn't ever catch F1 racing there, for sure. I like the weeds Eric added to the T1 runoff... gives it an extra little bit of club circuit feel.
I`d be inclined to think the reasoning behind it was just since it`s been in the demo forever and is one of the most used tracks, shrinking it and tweaking various parts of it both freshens it up and makes it completely different to drive for minimum dev time.

I like it, although it`s taking me a while to work out a comfortable line round the corners after the straight.
i rather like it even though the chicane is still a bit useless and doesnt really slow you down much

but as ive already posted elsewhere what id really like to see is to have all revisions of blackwood available
in many ways blackwood is lfs so why now put some nostalgia into the pack ?
#13 - ste_
Quote from kurent :I preffered the old blackwood myself. I especially dislike the turn after the long straight when one car can be forced onto the grass before the 2nd chicane.

I don't know why, but I so don't believe that image. It doesn't feel to me like things have changed so much.. how was this image generated?
#14 - VoiD
Track:
IMO its updated to give demo-users a bit more challange... It´s a bit more than "floor the throttle and break 2-3 times" now. Especially with the new tyre-wear.

Textures:
Looks like stage #1 of a major improvement for all tracks.
Quote from kurent :I preffered the old blackwood myself. I especially dislike the turn after the long straight when one car can be forced onto the grass before the 2nd chicane.

The changes feel a bit more subtle that your illustration.
Quote from farcar :The changes feel a bit more subtle that your illustration.

love ur avatar
i think the changes for blackwood are ok, dont like the smaller runoff areas but i like the first chacane, its a bit smoother to drive with the xfg
Yes, deffinitely new Blackwood is much better in that middle sector, closer to the original one in tightness and best ever in runoffs. Previous S2 one was too fast and too much runoff areas had to be used to be fast which was not obvious to anyone that tries it the first time. It was especially evident when we put LFS in Belgrade Motorshow, and we saw how many people drive BL1 XFG. Even Miloš Pavlović, Formula Renault driver, had troubles with that middle section, of course never even thinking to drive on green stuff. (and he was by 1s fastest among first timers )

I even heard comments from people watching our online races in Blackwood how we "lack racing culture" because we drove far out of white lines.

I wish Blackwood is even slower in the final section, there's still too much runoffs, specially on entry to final corner which we take wide on tarmac off the curb completely. It's not intuitive and it doesn't look nice either.

I wanted to upload a great S1 racing video for comparison (looked and sounded so amazingly realistic. Some of you probably have it, it's called something like "HaRDCoRe - Last S1 Movie" and it was on LFS Movies Pit).... but it would take way too long, and you can find yourself anyway how old Blackwood looked like.
#20 - ste_
Quote from legoflamb :WOW! I didn't know it changed that much!

I don't think it has. I think that image is wrong.
I never understood why people used the BMW Sauber on Blackwood anyway. Blackwood is a club racing track at best, even the FO8 struggles slightly around there. You don't see F1 going to Thruxton or Oulton Park do you?
yep but the only reson they dont go to oulton is because of the limited run off area not the design of the track itself.
Quote from ste_ :I don't know why, but I so don't believe that image. It doesn't feel to me like things have changed so much.. how was this image generated?

I used a replay analyzer, opened up a patch Y .raf file and then added a patch X .raf file. I think this is accurate since both .raf and .cmx use the same "world" with their own coordinates and the starting line position hasn't changed so they overlap neatly.
#24 - ste_
Quote from kurent :I used a replay analyzer, opened up a patch Y .raf file and then added a patch X .raf file. I think this is accurate since both .raf and .cmx use the same "world" with their own coordinates and the starting line position hasn't changed so they overlap neatly.

Does this assume that both drivers took exactly the same line around each course?
Both drivers are me, so the racing line is similar hehe. Both laps were not just a run thru but hotlap attempts. But it doesn't really need to be to roughly show you how the track has been changed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG