The online racing simulator
The oven was brand new, fitted in June this year. It had been given light use too.

Michael Denham - yes, would be cool, although my landlord would probably start making me pay for it, which is less cool.
I knew someone that had this happen to him. He said a few days before it happened, he remembers when he tried to close the oven door, some of the cooking trays he keeps inside it for storage (big metal ones) had hit the glass really hard. Because the door is sort of on a notchy hinge like a car door, it wasn't easy for him to control the door hitting it. In any case, he thinks he damaged it a little bit and when it was hot from baking at a very high temp, closing the door caused the glass to shatter.

Most modern day ovens have a small mesh in them now though, so I don't think this happens to people with newer ovens. You should at least always have such appliances with this mesh.

Once safety glass is damaged, it can shatter really easily. Or even moisture dripping onto the glass can cause it to shatter when it is at high temp (this is why chefs put towels over the oven door).
Quote from Tweaker :........ (this is why chefs put towels over the oven door).

And here was me thinking they put tea-towels on the doors to:
a) Dry them
b) Handy place to chuck them

Quote from Tweaker :(this is why chefs put towels over the oven door).

Eh? I worked as a (pretty crap) chef for a few years, in lots of restaurants (more than most chefs, because I often didn't last more than two months in any given kitchen), and I never saw an oven with glass parts.

I hung towels on the oven doors so I'd have a dry towel handy for taking hot things out of it.
So we can say its not normal for a new oven to randomly explode

Ore a smal oven to burst into flames

But the ctach stil is whats causing it,
caus i know in my smal oven the heating rods ignited exes gas,

does big oven like that have heating rods?
Yo Ben,

I found this article and they seemed to have a similar thing happen to them.

Very odd though that it imploded.

btw.. you heard a "pssshh" sound and found that? is that the sound glass makes when it shatters?
It happens random if the 'Hand of mod' touches it
#34 - Jakg
Quote from Madman_CZ :Yo Ben,

I found this article and they seemed to have a similar thing happen to them.

Very odd though that it imploded.

btw.. you heard a "pssshh" sound and found that? is that the sound glass makes when it shatters?

Noise could of been the hot air escaping...?
Or the cold air rushing in

Or Ben's meal running away...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Eh? I worked as a (pretty crap) chef for a few years, in lots of restaurants (more than most chefs, because I often didn't last more than two months in any given kitchen), and I never saw an oven with glass parts.

I hung towels on the oven doors so I'd have a dry towel handy for taking hot things out of it.

Funny,...just what I thought too
Well, it was also so I'd know where my towel was.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Well, it was also so I'd know where my towel was.

Had to take advantage and link to this:
Quote :The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels...
"A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
quotation from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams www.douglasadams.com

Quote from Madman_CZ :btw.. you heard a "pssshh" sound and found that? is that the sound glass makes when it shatters?

Perhaps it was more "psshhtss". It's hard to tell. English letters do not have sufficient fidelity to let me accurately recreate the sound in a word.
Perhaps you should record it? That won't have any draw backs... Honest

I've never seen this happen myself, but a friend did mention something similiar happening to him a few years. I pooh-pooh'ed him at the time, but I'm guessing I was wrong..

I guess it wasn't a new oven?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Perhaps you should record it?

I think you're on to something here, we should all mic up our ovens and record each time we use them, just incase this should happen Heck, we could even start webcams! Who needs to look at webcams of baby eagles when you could look at an oven!

Quote from the_angry_angel :I guess it wasn't a new oven?

Quote from Bob Smith :The oven was brand new, fitted in June this year.

#42 - JTbo
Quote from Michael Denham :I think you're on to something here, we should all mic up our ovens and record each time we use them, just incase this should happen Heck, we could even start webcams! Who needs to look at webcams of baby eagles when you could look at an oven!

Ah but we would probably need to shut down such service pretty soon as healthy officials will get alarmed by rapid increasing of overweigt in population
Quote from thisnameistaken :Eh? I worked as a (pretty crap) chef for a few years, in lots of restaurants (more than most chefs, because I often didn't last more than two months in any given kitchen), and I never saw an oven with glass parts.

No no, putting the towel over the inside of the door when you pull it down. Just something I've been taught when you have food that is dripping with moisture as you pull it out --over the door-- to cool.
#44 - JTbo
Quote from Tweaker :No no, putting the towel over the inside of the door when you pull it down. Just something I've been taught when you have food that is dripping with moisture as you pull it out --over the door-- to cool.

So you mean you put it between door and door frame so that oven is bit open? European oven doors have hinge mechanism that allows this without towel, or used to have before safety department did run over things
Mabye the oven was too hot
Quote from JTbo :So you mean you put it between door and door frame so that oven is bit open? European oven doors have hinge mechanism that allows this without towel, or used to have before safety department did run over things

Ehhh. I can't believe I made this so confusing..... Here is simple explanation:

Open oven door.... it now lays flat. Lay towel on door covering the glass. As you take your food out, the towel prevents from any moisture dripping down directly onto the glass.

All to do with sudden change in temperature of the glass from expansion (thermal shock). Never thought I'd be talking about ovens here, I give up.
#47 - JTbo
Quote from Tweaker :Ehhh. I can't believe I made this so confusing..... Here is simple explanation:

Open oven door.... it now lays flat. Lay towel on door covering the glass. As you take your food out, the towel prevents from any moisture dripping down directly onto the glass.

All to do with sudden change in temperature of the glass from expansion (thermal shock). Never thought I'd be talking about ovens here, I give up.

Also it could be that we are pulling your leg a bit
In glass, damage can accumulate. Small hits appear to have no effect, but there is damage, invisible to the naked eye. The glass may break at a later time, after what seems to be a light bump.

Oven doors are from hardened glass, which has an internal tension. The tension is intentional (caused by the production process). This makes the glass extra rigid, and when it breaks it will shatter into relatively harmless "crumbs". This tension also makes the breaking extra spectacular.
Hate to ask...

Was it overclocked? :P

DK
No I didn't let harjun touch my oven. And even if I did, ovens don't need thermal paste anyway. I can't imagine what one would achive with a 300 degree oven anyway. I'm not about to go into brick manufacturing.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG