The online racing simulator
LOL: "w00t" crowned word of year!!
(54 posts, started )
Hey, here in NZ we're leading the way.

The NCEA ( Nat Cert of ED Achievement, the whole basis of secondary education ) has come up with allowing txt englush to be used in exams.

Txt speak approved for exams

09 November 2006
By ARWEN HANN and ANNA CHALMERS

Secondary school students will be able to use text speak in written examinations this year, legitimising a language loved by teenagers.

The move has divided students and educators amid concerns the move could damage the English language.

The second language of thousands of teenagers, text language usually incorporates abbreviated words and phrases such as txt for "text", lol for "laugh out loud" or "lots of love" and CU for "see you".

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is still strongly discouraging students from using anything other than full English, but says credit will be given if the answer "clearly shows the required understanding", even if it contains text speak.

The authority's deputy chief executive, qualifications, Bali Haque, said students should aim to make their answers as clear as possible.

"Markers involved in assessing NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement) exams are trained professionals, experienced in interpreting the variety of writing styles and language uses encountered during the marking process," he said.

Haque said he was confident markers would understand answers written in text speak.
Quote from ajp71 :w00t111

Seriously if they were to add 'woot' to the dictionary then I'd understand it, but still think it's pretty sad that internet phrases can be considered words, if they're going to add it they could at least write it in English rather than l33t speak. How long will it be until Collins offer a translation of the dictionary in leet?

Ooh...there's an idea :P

Th3 N3rd and G33k Gu1d3 t0 3ngl1sh? :P

Ok, it's early, my brain doesn't work, and I have an LFS column to finish >< zzzzz

DK
Quote from dougie-lampkin :W00T, a talking dictionary!

Hahaha!

My opinion on this: internet/text message words should be considered proper words at one point. Anyone who thinks different is too conservative in my opinion. You can't live in the past, the world is moving on..

At first these changes seem stupid, but time heals all wounds... Try to dig up a medieval book from your nearest library (if you even know where to find one ) and ask yourself: do I still want to be talking like that?

Imagine a forum with "Thou shalt not drift, Thou fool, what dost thou to this game, Thou shalt know what the beauty of racing is."
Quote from traxxion :Hahaha! Imagine a forum with "Thou shalt not drift, Thou fool, what dost thou to this game, Thou shalt know what the beauty of racing is."

At least that still makes more sense than w00t. I don't get how two letters and two numbers can even make a word! should not be possible. I am all for modernisation but this is just ridiculous.
Agreed. Numbers != letters. And I laugh at the number of kids writing papers (or other school assignments) in text speech. You certainly wouldn't use it in the workplace. It's terribly unprofessional.
Quote from Forbin :Agreed. Numbers != letters. And I laugh at the number of kids writing papers (or other school assignments) in text speech. You certainly wouldn't use it in the workplace. It's terribly unprofessional.

Ooops...I must be unprofessional, because _I_ use internet speak at work quite often...in fact, only this morning I told a passenger to STFU!!! (Good thing that that didn't understand me! )
Quote from traxxion :Imagine a forum with "Thou shalt not drift, Thou fool, what dost thou to this game, Thou shalt know what the beauty of racing is."

To be honest, this "ancient" english might indeed be more readable for us Germans than it is for "zie Anglishmen"

W00t, Angles and Saxons are from Germany after all
Quote from traxxion :Try to dig up a medieval book from your nearest library (if you even know where to find one ) and ask yourself: do I still want to be talking like that?

Change is inevitable and change is good, but you have to draw the line somewhere. English contains lots of words from other languages, and that's great because it makes the language more expressive and versatile and brings some of the culture of other countries with it.

I'm even willing to accept some American influences despite their country not having any culture worth assimilating, but when we start adopting words that have developed on Quake servers, that is the time to seriously consider the potential benefits to future communication, stand firm, and say "No". And institute sweeping economic sanctions.
Ewwww!
At least it isn't only the german language that's being ruined
#37 - J.B.
Is it just me or is w00t more a 2003 than a 2007 word? Word of the year 2011: All your base are belong to us!
Quote from J.B. :Is it just me or is w00t more a 2003 than a 2007 word? Word of the year 2011: All your base are belong to us!

All your base are belong to us was more of a 2001 thing.
me Thinks niko is happy with this r2sul1
Nominations for next year are expected to include ROLFCOPTER and LOLLERSKATES!
Quote from Yahoo News :"This is simply a different and more efficient way of representing the alphabetical character."

The hell? If this is out future, we are definately screwed. The governments of the world will be overrun by 12 year old "1337" speakers who are extreme Halo fanboys and have an average IQ of 15.
Using "woot" as an equivalent for "what" pisses me off. At least in Finnish Internet community it's more like a rule than exception.
How can typing/writing 1337 be more efficient than typing/writing leet?
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Probably matter of time when you see English-1337-English dictionary on the book store shelves.
Quote from frokki :Using "woot" as an equivalent for "what" pisses me off. At least in Finnish Internet community it's more like a rule than exception.

I thought woot/w00t was an equivalent for woohoo/yay.

Quote from Gil07 :How can typing/writing 1337 be more efficient than typing/writing leet?

Personally I find typing elite takes no more or less time than typing leet/l33t/1337. It's the evolvement from the TXT typing which is going to (already has?) kill young peoples minds.

Nowadays I reckon young people at school won't get bad marks for using these stupid words as it's classed as present speaking or something.

When I was at school, If I was to use nothin' instead of nothing in a story about a load of kids, then I'd get bad marks for it.

Gotta admit, it could be worse. We could be using Ye Olde English to talk.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Change is inevitable and change is good, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

That line will slowly fade while the current Quake-generation grows up. It doesn't matter whether words are invented on the streets or on the internet, as soon as more and more people speak and understand that language it is inevitably going to be considered official at some point.

Just to make clear; nowhere did I say I think the time is right, now... And I'm not even a supporter of the change as such. Hell, I can't help but laugh when a friend (and LFS team mate) of mine says "omg" when we talk in real-life...

But I'm 100% sure it's going to happen sooner or later.
Quote from thisnameistaken :that is the time to seriously consider the potential benefits to future communication, stand firm, and say "No".

Well, that is the way that language works... don't use the word and it dies. However search for w00t on the LFS forums and there are eight pages of links to delve through...

Quote from beefyman666 :I thought woot/w00t was an equivalent for woohoo/yay.

No... w00t is already on the way out. Its now "zonino!" that means woohoo!
Quote from nihil :No... w00t is already on the way out. Its now "zonino!" that means woohoo!

must be a black thing
Black people always used to say, "I'm in the house" instead of "I'm here." But then white people all started to say "in the house" so we switched it to "in the hizzouse." Hizzouse became hizzizzouse, and then white folk started saying that, and we had to change it to hizzie, then "in the hizzle" which we had to change to "hizzle fo shizzle," and now, because white people say "hizzle fo shizzle," we have to say "flippity floppity floop."

LOL: "w00t" crowned word of year!!
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG