The online racing simulator
OMG What's Happened?
(144 posts, started )
Man it really is sad people having a go at the developers when they are doing a great job every new realease is great, when the false start patch was announced people were saying oh it wont be fun anymore, it was so much better, and people moaning about how realistic its getting, the more realistic the better as it will show true racing skills and get you as close to propper racing as possible, which i think is great, and how does more realistic mean less fun, its even funner in my opinion, just because when you crash the damage actually affects the driving of the car, that is so much better than it having no effect at all, thats just boring and no fun at all. I have had lfs now for just over a year and i love it its like a part of me.

LFS developers FTW ^^
/me brings out the fire extinguisher
Quote from Shotglass :Maybe thats the entire problem here. I was under the impression that you decided it was crunchtime for S2 final now which probably lead to the missunderstanding of what patch Y is all about.
Plus I´m somewhat miffed that the collision detection still hasn´t improved.

No, we are not on a final push for S2 "Final". Patch Y has been a long haul and I'm quite wasted now, will have some time off over the holidays and hopefully for at least a month into the new year.

Collision detection is one of many important needed updates before S2 is finished.
Quote from GWADanny :Man it really is sad people having a go at the developers when they are doing a great job every new realease is great,

There's nothing wrong with criticism. If we all unconditionally accepted everything the devs produced it would be a weirdly sycophantic scene around here.

I wish I could think of a specific example of something that improved through being bashed out in the forums, but I don't spend enough time in the test patch threads to know.
Increasing the size of the speedo dial numbers is an example, that and the adjustable "one button touch" view look.
Quote from thisnameistaken :There's nothing wrong with criticism. If we all unconditionally accepted everything the devs produced it would be a weirdly sycophantic scene around here.

true , but it really does happen very often.
Quote from Shotglass :Plus I´m somewhat miffed that the collision detection still hasn´t improved.

i think it has? ive not had any stupid crashes resulting in 500ft spins in the air?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wish I could think of a specific example of something that improved through being bashed out in the forums, but I don't spend enough time in the test patch threads to know.

The sound engine perhaps? Although arguably it was likely on the todo list anyhow. But we did make alot of noise before it was changed, some of us as compensation while driving in LFS.
Quote from andybarsblade :i think it has? ive not had any stupid crashes resulting in 500ft spins in the air?

The collision detection wasn't touched. Otherwise you'd see it in the changelog.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wish I could think of a specific example of something that improved through being bashed out in the forums, but I don't spend enough time in the test patch threads to know.

Skid marks
Quote from AndroidXP :The collision detection wasn't touched. Otherwise you'd see it in the changelog.

oh ive only raced at south city maybe im confusing this?

South City :

Many graphical updates and new configuration added
Kerb construction modified making wall collisions safer
JPG textures now used for adverts (data\pic\SO_ADSx.jpg)
That just means that the pavements were covered up with walls, so instead of [kerb > kerbstone > pavement > wall] it is now [kerb > wall], thus making them "safer". The collision detection that catapults cars into space is still the same, it's just a bit less likely to happen on South City now.
That's regarding the physical safety of the track itself. Pavements are now within the steel barriers so you can't clip one and be flipped over - like real life city tracks. Nothing to do with the actual physics engine.

Edit: Beaten.
Gear changes are totally poo. Try using buttons on a Logitech FF & throttle lift - bugger all happens...
Quote from Seahorse :Gear changes are totally poo. Try using buttons on a Logitech FF & throttle lift - bugger all happens...

But... In order it to be totally poo, something must happen if poo oozes out from pressing those buttons?
With the AI trajectory displayed, LFS is more enjoyable than ever for beginners. You can learn the track and go fast without any big mistake, and turn it off when you feel ready.

Sure some people will hate it because it is unrealistic. But it makes the sim more fun and accessible "out of the box". Tried yesterday with my brother. We have only 1 hour, we want to race ASAP, he does not know the track and played only a few times...he turns the trajectory on, I reduce air intake, and 2 minutes later we have a close race. Great!
Quote from spankmeyer :But... In order it to be totally poo, something must happen if poo oozes out from pressing those buttons?

Stop struggling to win extra votes. It's doing you no favours.
Quote from GWADanny :Man it really is sad people having a go at the developers when they are doing a great job every new realease is great

Agreed
pro new clutch system:
-you can influence the shift times, or the amount of clutch wear
-more realistic (because less helps as the throttle cut/blip has gone)

cons:
-increase pedal wear (the ones under your desk)
-too big step from autoshift to manual shifting (newbies will rather stick to the crappy autoshift, because the clutch is really weak in some cars, and because you dont just need to learn how to shift correctly, but also how to shift with the clutch)
-a couple people think its a but when the car doesnt shift, they just dont know about the clutch thing, and the FBM can mosty shift in the low gears (remember the people moaning about a bug where their car doesnt drive faster than 79mkh hehe)
-crappy with keyboard, as you need to push even more buttons (but not really a fully valid argument as kb is not the way to play a sim)

Mh I like the new feature though, but my pedals dont really like that, and Im afraid in very long races your legs might fall off
I expect tweaks and hacks that do this auto shifting for you anyways, just like the button clutch story, so maybe its a good idea to add a semi-realistic feature with auto clutch, but just a tiny bit slower than when you clutch manually.
I guess just like the olg clutch, but simply force the throttle cut...
Autoclutch has not much to do with throttle cut, it can still be used and only difference to old is that you need to lift when shifting up and when changing down you can get away without blipping if you shift at enough low rpm.

OMG What's Happened?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG