The online racing simulator
Bring Back Digital Speedo!!
(193 posts, started )

Poll : I Prefer To Have An Option Of

Digital Speedo, Needle Type
Needle Type
Digital Speedo
No Speedo
Quote from Glenn67 :Digital dashboards were the worst inovation ever in production cars and should be left back in the 80's were they belong I cant begin to say how ugly they were in comparison to a nice set of analogs why do you think most sensible car maufactures reverted back to analog so quickly the public outcry against digital gauges was deafening!

Maybe it's not the same in LFS but irl analogs are far more easily read at a glance than a digital read out.

Hmm what I really want for xmas is a set of real analog gauges linked to LFS via outgauge

I do prefer analog guages (which I voted for) but for the GTR cars (and for a little bit of realism) they need digi race dashes.

If they were racing cars like in the GTL era, then yes analog all round.
Quote from beefyman666 :I do prefer analog guages (which I voted for) but for the GTR cars (and for a little bit of realism) they need digi race dashes.

Point taken, I'm not against a digital dashboard being used were it would fit with real world equivilents either especially since I drive mostly the LX6 and standard road cars mostly
Digital Speedo!!!
#79 - arco
Quote from wheel4hummer :A car that would have a Digital speedometer in real life should have it in LFS.

We don't have real life cars in LFS, except for the beemers.
Quote from arco :We don't have real life cars in LFS, except for the beemers.

Don't forget the MRT and the Raceabout
I've always used the digital speedometer. Have since I started, and now it's habit. I'd rather use the analog, but out of habit as I said, I've stuck with the digital gauge.

Now that I'm forced to use analog, I'm happy. I'd rather use it, and I have to now.

As for the GTR cars having a display like the FBM? I certainly hope not. I hate the look of a gauge display hanging in mid-air not attached to anything like in the open wheelers. It is so distracting, and one of many reasons of why I don't drive the open wheelers much.

Put the racecar gauges solidly mounted on or in the dash, and I'm fine with it. Hanging in mid-air like it is now, since I have a wheel mounted to the desk in front of me already, and it looks ridiculous and distractiing.
Quote from arco :We don't have real life cars in LFS, except for the beemers.

And both beemers have digital speedos in real life...
digital speedometers really isn't that unusual of an item on a car, and no, they aren't limited to just high end cars.

back in college, i had an 89 pontiac that had a digital speedometer. it was very common on a good portion of GM cars in the late 80s and early 90s. hardly high end.

also the rx8 has a digital speedometer. also, not a high end car, and, imo, has a much better implementation than the digital speedometers from back in the 80s/90s. it actually looks like it should be like that, instead of just slapped in because its new. not being orange helps.
Attached images
62.jpg
Its already established that the cars are going to be getting new interiors in not patch Y, but probably the next after that (probably Y10, or Z etc)

I imagine that the new interiors will have updated speedometers, that will actually be readable . We can only hope
If I select mph as my display unit why do I get flagged for speeding in the pits when the posted speedlimit says 80kph yet my analog speedo is nowhere near 80?
Quote from joeynuggetz :If I select mph as my display unit why do I get flagged for speeding in the pits when the posted speedlimit says 80kph yet my analog speedo is nowhere near 80?

The pit speed limit in MPH is 48 MPH.
There's no option for me. I much prefer the new behaviour in the test patch...
The pole has shot up abit
Quote from h3adbang3r :I'm American, I don't live in a cage, and I use km/h in LFS

Well then I can consider you as not a caveman then
When that is said, do not bring back digital speedo please.
To be honest if you want a digi speedo bad enough use insim(if its not be suggested already). Scawen made insim for a reason. Use it
Quote from mcgas001 :To be honest if you want a digi speedo bad enough use insim(if its not be suggested already). Scawen made insim for a reason. Use it

Hiiii
#92 - CSU1
I can't 'see' the effin small numbers in the analogue dial, I want digi

...and no, I don't need glasses but a better screen...
Dont bring, but make numbers better to see only.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Speedos are overrated anyways, I find the tacho a lot more useful.

Wow, you check the pit lane speed from a tacho? You´re my hero.

Seriously though... I don´t care about the speedo anywhere else. The only place I use it is on pit lanes in cars that don´t have a limiter and now I´m forced to stick my nose on to the screen to make the numbers out.
Quote from CSU1 :I can't 'see' the effin small numbers in the analogue dial, I want digi

...and no, I don't need glasses but a better screen...

lol
I couldn't care less what type of speedo we have on lfs, personally I use the needle one but I don't look at the speedometer when I'm racing, my eyes stay on the road.
Digital Speedo bring it back or an option to at lest to have it.
Quote from Kalev EST :Wow, you check the pit lane speed from a tacho? ...

When I used cockpit view, I couldn´t see the speed in boxes because the numbers were too small but:

0-20-40-60-80-100-120...

So I knew the speed in pit lane thanks to the gauge position despite of not seeing the numbers, it wasn´t difficult

Anyway, making numbers bigger is better option than digital IMO.
If you have anlog you actually dont need to "read" the numbers. Your eyes have good peripheral vision in regards to needles. But do what ever is most realistic/comfortable to you.

And to use an insim program, don't you need need the Admin password ?
Quote from JasonJ :
And to use an insim program, don't you need need the Admin password ?

Er......ever looked at running a insim locally?, you dont need a admin pass..

Bring Back Digital Speedo!!
(193 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG