The online racing simulator
Ready-To-Render kit (free)
(973 posts, started )
Ready-To-Render kit (free) V2 is out
Hi all :jester:

I've finished to setup my render kit. I made it for people who know nothing about 3D, don't want to spend hours to get a basic render or ask someone to do it, or don't want to download warez :shhh: :hide:

Only Blender and its internal engine are used. I think it's the easiest way for newbies, and this engine is good enough to make LFS render, just like brazil. I tried to setup materials and lightning as versatile as possible, but light skin colors may still be too bright, and dark colors too dark.. It is possible to adjust the lightning as you want but It's a too advanced to be detailed in this post.

There are some results made with this kit and minor post-processing with a GNU image manipulator program ( :icon23: ):

Do you want to perform the same? ok this is what you need:

HOW TO USE:
--------------------------------------------------------
  1. The quickest way
  2. Minor tweaks
  3. Modifications
  4. Kit Version 2
  5. conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------

1. THE QUICKEST WAY
----------------------

Install Blender,
Unrar the .blend file
Open it with Blender
Select your car (see the image below).
Check if the car's body is pink highlighted. If not, right-click on it to select it. This operation selects the associated material.
Press F6 to enter the texture menu (if not).

Then press the "load" button to load your skin.

The load window:

Now check if the skin file is loaded:

Press the "gift" button to disable autopack, otherwise the skin file will be incrusted into the .blend file. Select the skin file original path (identical) to avoid autopacking.

Final steps, press F10 to enter the render menu.

Select the number of threads you have and finally the render button.

The render should take approximately 5 minutes. PRESS "ESCAPE" KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO ABORT THE RENDER CALCULATION ANYTIME. But it can't resume!

Result:

:woohoo:

When the render is finished, you can press F3 to save the render image.
Note that the background is transparent, so you can put any background you want, even the window parts and shadows are set to transparent.

2. MINOR TWEAKS
----------------------

At first there are some basics navigation commands:
  • select an object with right mouse button
  • rotate the view by moving the mouse while mouse wheel button is pressed
  • translate the view by moving the mouse while mouse wheel button and "Shift" key are pressed
After making some render you probably want to change the viewpoint. I've put and set up some cameras you can use.

To do this, select a camera by clicking on its gizmo

It should turn to a pink color.
To activate it for the render, press Ctrl+Numpad0 on your keyboard. The gizmo top triangle you be turned to black and the right window switches automatically to the new point of view.

I also set another sun lamp to illuminate the car from the rear if you select a rear or above camera. I put it in the fourth layer.

How to select layers:

Layers are very useful to manage a complex scene. We can put anything like we want into them.
To single-select a layer, just click on it. The other ones will be deselected.
To toggle a layer selection, maintain the shift key and click on the layer.

In our example, we want to select the rear sun for a rear-view render. To swap the sun, toggle the third layer to make disappear the front sun, and next toggle the fourth one to make appear the rear sun. I don't recommend to use both suns since the render will be too bright and unrealistic.

3. MODIFICATIONS
----------------------

There are some tips to modify the scene setup:

Changing the camera settings

At fist, you must right-click on the camera you want to change, to highlight it.
Press F10 to enter the edition menu.
You can change the lens view angle, to get far or near point of view effect.
You can also move it: Enable the edit mode by clicking on the hand icon on the edit bar. More icons should appear on the right of it, and a gizmo on the camera.
  • The red triangle is for translating the object (move it in the scene)
  • The green circle is used for rotating the object around its center point
  • the blue square is useless to modify a camera but scales an object (I never used it anyway...)
  • The global/local mode selector, changes the reference of the edition motions. Global mode is the scene reference, it's the "absolute reference", it never moves. The Local mode attaches the reference to the object you are editing, so it's moved in the same time you move the object. Switch between the modes to position perfectly the camera (or any other object) as you want.
  • To view the numerical values of the object you are editing, press "N" key to spawn the "Transform properties" window.
  • Take a look to the official manual to obtain better explanation about all of this.
Changing the render image size

You want a larger render image? return to the Render menu (F10) and set desired size values in SizeX, SizeY input boxes.

You can also set the render image output file type if you want. The button "BW" means Black and White, "RGB" 16-bits color image, "RGBA" RGB+alpha channel to get the transparent areas of the image (doesn't work with all image file types).

Don't forget that larger image means longer render calculation

Create a reflective floor

To get a reflective ground is easy:
  • Select the big circle that represents the ground in the 3D view
  • Press F5 to enter the material menu
  • depress "OnlySha" small button in the "Shaders" menu (need to expand it to see it)
  • Enter the "Mirror Transp" tab and press "Ray Mirror" button
  • Set a 0.2-0.3 value in the "RayMir" input. (this is the reflexion amount setting)
  • Press F12 and enjoy
Note that the circle will be no longer transparent in the renders.

Import custom wheels

Actually I haven't tried to customize LFS models by inserting custom elements but it should not be hard.
  • Find a wheel which its file is blender compatible
  • Delete or move into another layer the default LFS wheels of the car.
  • put the 3d cursor (left-click) where a wheel should be inserted (don't need to be accurate)
  • perform a File>append (if the wheel comes from a .blend file) or a File>import and select the wheel file.
  • The wheel should appear at the 3D cursor. Fine position it with the manipulation tools.
  • Press shift+D keys to duplicate the wheel and re-position it for the three other wheel locations.
The last question is where to find custom wheels?

How to add car(s)

To add another car is easy but messy.

If it's the same car you want to duplicate:
  • Select the first layer only of the scene by left-clicking on it. It will show the car only.
  • Select all the car parts by pressing "A" key (select all command). Check visually if most of the car look pink highlighted. Re-press "A" twice if not sure.
  • press "shift+D" keys to duplicate the car, and be careful, when you move the mouse, the copy of the car will move with it, FREELY. So to move the copy where you want but to keep it with the wheel touching on the ground, immediately press "shift+Z" to lock the Z-axis movement. It will avoid you to try to Z-level the car.
  • Position the copy of the car with the mouse and when satisfied left-click. During moving the car you can use the keyboard commands to rotate it ("R" key, then "Z" key to rotate it around Z axis) But I suggest to use the more comfortable manipulation tools.
If the car is not the same:
  • Select the car-to-duplicate 's scene
  • Select the first layer only of the scene by left-clicking on it. It will show the car only.
  • Select all the car parts by pressing "A" key (select all command). Check visually if most of the car look pink highlighted. Re-press "A" twice if not sure.
  • Move the car in another layer by pressing "M" key (just below the first one for example) to avoid a mess.
  • Press "ctrl+L" keys and click "to scene..." to copy the car to the other car final scene.
  • Select the destination car scene to show it.
  • The two cars should be in two different layers. Select the copied car layer only, select all its parts ("A" key), and make it single-user by pressing "U" key and clicking "object & obdata & materials & text". This operation unlink the copied car and now if you move or modify the car in one scene, the car in its original scene will not be affected by modifications.
  • Move the cars where you want with the manipulation tools.
4. KIT VERSION 2
----------------------

I created a version 2 of the kit to enhance results with the help of users's suggestions. However rendering with this version can take 2 hours instead of 5 minutes because of the higher quality settings.

Here are some renders:

I you really want to make renders like these ones, you need:Use this kit in the same way than the V1. I suggest for newcomers to try the V1 first because of the rendering time.
Note that I removed "LFS" stickers and tire brand markings from the models because they caused ugly glitches. Since the release of the V2 was already late IMO, remapping all the tires would cost too much time for me.

5. CONCLUSION
----------------------

I hope this kit can enjoy you to make easily your own renders. However, it might be not enough, you may want to change the light, the background, the camera positions, the materials (make some body more or less shiny...). All of these aspects are not so hard to learn. Blender is not harder to use than 3Dsmax, but the 3D creation is mainly learned with experience. You can't draw a realistic portrait without tried hundred times before, it's quite similar with 3D creation. You can ask questions here to get more information (or make suggestions) , but I recommend you to read the manual, tutorial and practice a lot, like the quite noob like me or the true 3D gurus you can meet in this forum.
#2 - Bean0
*Bookmarks for later*

Thanks
Great! is there any way to make bigger renders using this?
does this work with the mac version of blender?

EDIT: rendering! is there a way to add custom my DDSes?

EDIT2: here's my render attached. what can I do to improve it? and I can't figure out how to change the camera angle!
done on my mac
Attached images
tcrender.jpg
Quote from Schizo :Great! is there any way to make bigger renders using this?

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :I can't figure out how to change the camera angle!

I just answered these questions in a update to this tutorial

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :EDIT: rendering! is there a way to add custom my DDSes?

Yes but it's long to explain. In short, convert your dds to png format, you must enter the blender's image editor, browse the the texture to replace, click image>replace, select the new png file.
thanks, and how do you get a white background?
#7 - Bean0
Could someone else try rendering an XRR using this please, I've tried a couple of times now and the end result is nowhere near as smooth looking as other cars. It's almost as if there's no AA.

Zachary - Saving gives a .png with transparent background, just open in PS or similar to add a white background.
Attached images
XRR.png
Thanks for this, this is great!

One question though: How do you make an LX4 without the softtop like in your example? When I select the car the LX4 has the top up...
Thanks!
#9 - Bean0
Quote from Gergely :Thanks for this, this is great!

One question though: How do you make an LX4 without the softtop like in your example? When I select the car the LX4 has the top up...
Thanks!

That is the LX6 in the example pic, no wheel on the rear and you can see the bonnet bulge.
Yes, you are right...
Thanks!
Another one: Is it possible to colour the wheels black?
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :thanks, and how do you get a white background?

When the render is finished, don't make a screenshot, press F3 and a file browser dialog appears in the Blender's interface to save the .png file (default) then with an image editor add your white background.

Quote from Bean0 :Could someone else try rendering an XRR using this please, I've tried a couple of times now and the end result is nowhere near as smooth looking as other cars. It's almost as if there's no AA.

Check if the "OSA" button is pressed just below the big "Render" button. It turns on the AA.

Quote from Gergely :Thanks for this, this is great!

Thanks!

Yes it was LX6 but I think it is possible to remove the soft top from the LX4, EDIT: by separating the soft roof from the rest of the mesh, do the same with the lateral and back windows. The technique is detailed in my older Blender tutorial when I describet how to fix rims.
Quote from Gergely :Yes, you are right...
Thanks!
Another one: Is it possible to colour the wheels black?

Yes, select a rim (right-click on it), go to the material editor (F5 key I think) the material called "jante" should be selected (Rim in french) and then select a black diffuse color in the top rectangle. I'm not at home now so I can't post a screenshot...
Quote from Bogey Jammer :Check if the "OSA" button is pressed just below the big "Render" button. It turns on the AA.

That was exactly the problem, thanks

I think my PC here at work is still recovering from doing the render though, it's the only time in about 4 years I've heard the fan come on
WOW, stunning tutorial and really extremely well explained and useful. Thankyou so much.

I'd love to get an under car shadow as if its a glass floor... not sure how to though
@ StableX... Practice

@ Bogey Jammer... OMG!! My brother and I have been looking for a program to make renders with on our macs for about a year!
YAY! Plus it is free so that is another big bonus. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TUTORIAL!
i love you! awesome tut now i can finally do some rendering woho!
Quote :I'd love to get an under car shadow as if its a glass floor... not sure how to though

Do you mean get the car reflection on the floor?
i still dont get how to change the camera, i got ONE gizmo which is one the near rear tyre, when i select it i can move the camera away from the car, change height or zoom in the car, but i dont get how to turn the car around. i select other gizmos and try to do the same thing as i did with the one that working but the camera aint working, i even tried CTRL+NumPad 0 but nothing happens too.
Quote from DevilDare :i still dont get how to change the camera, i got ONE gizmo which is one the near rear tyre, when i select it i can move the camera away from the car, change height or zoom in the car, but i dont get how to turn the car around. i select other gizmos and try to do the same thing as i did with the one that working but the camera aint working, i even tried CTRL+NumPad 0 but nothing happens too.

dito
Wo(r)ks great
Attached images
fxrV8.jpg

Ready-To-Render kit (free)
(973 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG