The online racing simulator
Quote from Kshyhoo :Well... i drove some laps with the updated clutch wear, and unless this will be changed to something more user friendly, i will let go LFS... I understand the rule "as real as it gets" - but remember about the FUN FACTOR!!! Devs made it more realstic (including the feature, not how it works), but now i spent almost an hour on using mainly the F word when the clutch got worn again... even in XFG... That's insane! Don't make me stick only with Richard Burns Rally!

While I do believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with the current clutch modeling, I really don't see how people are having so much trouble with this. I raced last night and was able to finish 33 laps around Westhill and 25 laps around South City Classic in road cars with H-shifters. In both cases I finished the race with barely any heat at all in the clutch.

I honestly don't know how or why people are having such trouble with clutch overheating. Seriously - if you can't finish a race without burning up the clutch, even with the currently flawed modeling, you need to take a good hard look at your driving style.
The clutch is way too weak imo. Even LADA's have stronger clutches. I mean it can't even handle a burnout and it's already done.
Quote from mixer13134 :The clutch is way too weak imo. Even LADA's have stronger clutches. I mean it can't even handle a burnout and it's already done.

Why do you think Lada would have weak clutch.

Learn to do burnout properly then, I can pop my tires just fine and clutch won't even take heat...
I don't have many problems other than the clutch. The clutches just don't have the right load capabilitis. I might understand it if it was like that in a lower quality road car but not in a GTR or Formula. I mean hell, if my car acted like the ones in LFS, I would pull that clutch out and play chuck the thing back to china . Other than that, it is bloody briliant! I don't have any problems with the clutch heat anymore but still.

To answer a question, AI's have no clue how to function when he clutch gets hot or how to deal with tall 1st gear ratios. They fry the clutch if it has a tall 1st gear. I played with those new AI and figured out that if I hand brake turn infront of them causing me to hold their car back with mine, they keep cooking the clutch in high gear until they run out of fuel.
Quote from Cue-Ball :
I honestly don't know how or why people are having such trouble with clutch overheating. Seriously - if you can't finish a race without burning up the clutch, even with the currently flawed modeling, you need to take a good hard look at your driving style.

Of course that was my first idea... that i am srcrewing things up! But i tried to be gentle and carefull with shifting (using paddles with DFP wheel and autoclutch - only 2 pedals), and i was focused mostly on shifting, not on driving...
Quote from JTbo :Why do you think Lada would have weak clutch.

Learn to do burnout properly then, I can pop my tires just fine and clutch won't even take heat...

Because it's a lada...

In real life I can do good burnouts with a lada on all kinds of surfaces. In lfs I can't even burnout a FZ5. It's my problem then I guess.
Quote from Kshyhoo :Of course that was my first idea... that i am srcrewing things up! But i tried to be gentle and carefull with shifting (using paddles with DFP wheel and autoclutch - only 2 pedals), and i was focused mostly on shifting, not on driving...

Can you run a few laps and upload a replay? You've GOT to be doing something wrong. But without even seeing you drive, my guess is that you are not lifting off the throttle when shifting up, or blipping the throttle when shifting down. There's also a post in the main forum about how to shift each of the cars properly. That might help you. But you NEED to lift/blip during shifts. Not doing so will fry the clutch.

It seems to me as though the clutch heat was put in to prevent people from driving unrealistically, and to punish those who are hard on the car. Personally, I would rather see the clutch more strong and lifelike, and punish bad shifting in the same way that it's punished in real life - locking tires and car instability.

Go practice your shifting technique, which should make you faster and make your car last longer. Then also cross your fingers that X32 has fixed clutch behavior.
Quote from mixer13134 :Because it's a lada...

In real life I can do good burnouts with a lada on all kinds of surfaces. In lfs I can't even burnout a FZ5. It's my problem then I guess.

The only problem I had was doing doughnuts in second gear with the FZ5
I did constant burnouts with the FZR (probably did 50 full out rev limit then dump the clutch) and the tires poped long before it was going to get hot. Ony thing that makes me mad is that weak clutch that does not let me leave an extra 3 feet of rubber as I smack it into second. That was my damn trademark launch with the FZR, every race start, every pit stop, every recovery of a spin

Now it sounds like a typical american sh** shift every time I try to leave that extra bit of rubber (no offence to the small % of americans who actually can shift properly)
Quote from Cue-Ball :Can you run a few laps and upload a replay? You've GOT to be doing something wrong. But without even seeing you drive, my guess is that you are not lifting off the throttle when shifting up, or blipping the throttle when shifting down. There's also a post in the main forum about how to shift each of the cars properly. That might help you. But you NEED to lift/blip during shifts. Not doing so will fry the clutch.

It seems to me as though the clutch heat was put in to prevent people from driving unrealistically, and to punish those who are hard on the car. Personally, I would rather see the clutch more strong and lifelike, and punish bad shifting in the same way that it's punished in real life - locking tires and car instability.

Go practice your shifting technique, which should make you faster and make your car last longer. Then also cross your fingers that X32 has fixed clutch behavior.

Actually I'm happy with current behaviour at this point, until Scawen does new engine model for some future patch that comes after Y.
i havent heard anybody say how the clutch is handling drifting
Quote from JTbo :Actually I'm happy with current behaviour at this point, until Scawen does new engine model for some future patch that comes after Y.

I think that the current behavior is very raceable, but it's still very incorrect and will have negative side effects. There's no reason to settle for the way it is now if Scawen can tweak it a bit to be more realistic and natural.

The grip of the clutch should be stronger than the grip of the tires or the power of the engine. We can still keep the clutch overheating when people slip it too much, but the basic behavior really does need to be fixed.
Quote from flymike91 :i havent heard anybody say how the clutch is handling drifting

Nobody knows since the demo doesn't have the XRT anymore.
I dont know if this has came up alredy i look threw as many non bug post's(with the odd report here and there) as i could, but has ne1 noticed/realised that you can flat shift in ALL turbo cars with minimal to no clutch damage. This is a bug/flaw right?

Please read this Scawen and Reply, And thank you and Eric/Vic for the work you have all been doing.
Well i don't know if this is the right place to post this but....I found a little bug. Don't know if it's been there from before the test patch, but anyways.

I was driving a fox around so chicane route reverse, and rolled at the exit of the chicane. Went upside down, and my engine went to a stall. I was in 6th gear. Still upside down, and still having stalled the engine, i pressed the throttle and then my FRONT wheels started spinning for about 3 sec. Then they suddenly stopped. I tapped the throttle again, and the same thing happened.

I have a replay if needed
Don't mind him, he's forgotten to take his Mydol for the past 6 months or so
Quote from Cue-Ball :While I do believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with the current clutch modeling, I really don't see how people are having so much trouble with this. I raced last night and was able to finish 33 laps around Westhill and 25 laps around South City Classic in road cars with H-shifters. In both cases I finished the race with barely any heat at all in the clutch.

Summed up what I believe. Really now; I thought it was the Americans that cannot grasp the concept of a three pedal car.

Either that, or the majority of players are well under the age of 18, and thus never driven in real life.
Ther is a problem with the sequential shifter, not a big problem, but it doesnt seem right. The problem is that you can hold the shift up button/stick/paddle and just lift throttle all the way up through the gears.

I think one should have to release the up shift button/stick/paddle in order to be able to shift again to the next gear.

Edit: disregard above, but like the old H-pattern shifters, with the sequential you can do something like pre-shifting if you hold the shifter before you have lifted throttle.
Quote from jayhawk :Summed up what I believe. Really now; I thought it was the Americans that cannot grasp the concept of a three pedal car.

Either that, or the majority of players are well under the age of 18, and thus never driven in real life.

Off topic:

I agree
Drift with the new clutch is nice. I did about 20 laps with the xrg and i never overheated the clutch.
Quote from Kazu2799 :Drift with the new clutch is nice. I did about 20 laps with the xrg and i never overheated the clutch.

Which means you do not use the kick-clutch drift technique... i'm a crappy drifter so i use it often (more often than handbrake in fact).
I haven't tried though (broke a finger the other day so i've only been able to test the new patchs with keyboard ).
awesome the clutch with G25 , dont have any problem on overheating clutch , i guess if u know how to use a real clutch for whats is its design for, you will feel at home with the new settings, recommend auto clutch off also , for maximum fun

also For drifting i felt more in control or i can really feel the motion of the car when its sliding on the track

Quote from Kazu2799 :Drift with the new clutch is nice. I did about 20 laps with the xrg and i never overheated the clutch.

BUG REPORTS : Physics
(287 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG