The online racing simulator
All Cars Rev Too High
(113 posts, started )

Poll : Cars Rev tOo High?

Yes
They are Ok
No
Quote from danben7 :ah well to be fair my club runs rotaries, so the more revs the better for us

Not true - more revs won't equal more power unless the engine is adjusted to take advantage of the extra revs. Rotaries, in this regard, are identical to reciprocating engines.
Quote from tristancliffe :Not true - more revs won't equal more power unless the engine is adjusted to take advantage of the extra revs. Rotaries, in this regard, are identical to reciprocating engines.

most of our guys engines are ported, so yeah, it'll take advantage of the extra revs
Quote from kaynd :No I mean the FOX :worried:
max power at 7031 rpm... rev limiter @ 7500 (test patch X30, upcoming Y)

I know, I really only use the test patch becuase I like the new track so much. Unless I am reading my spedometer wrong I could of sworn the shift light still comes on at 7500 rpm...
If the peak power is at 7031 then the shift light probably will come on at about 7500rpm. Never EVER shift at peak power.

Incidentally, to people saying the car is gutless now (bear in mind I haven't tested the FOX yet, so I'm just thinking out loud), with a 2.0 litre engine we get about 185hp at 6500rpm. With tuning (which we aren't allowed to do) we could increase the power to ~FOX levels, and raise it up the power band to ~7000rpm quite easily, so it strikes me as the FOX is actually more realistic like this (considering how tractable it is from lower revs)... But I haven't checked the new stats, nor driven it for ages, so forgive me if I'm lost at sea here.
The Rpm point, in which the shift light will flash, depends on your gearing (in LFS). If you have long enough gears, with the FOX’s power curve you could change up e.g. @7800rpm before X30. Now the rev limiter comes first so the shift light, lights at that point.

Actually, this restricts the available choices in gear rations, and makes it harder to find the right gearing for each track. This is not bad.
My only problem is that I still think 500rpm over the peak power is too low for an exclusively race tuned engine.
Even in most real road cars you have ~ 800-1000rpm over the peak power to play with…
*cough* X31 *cough*
There are no differences between X30 and X31 in what I am saying
Quote from kaynd :My only problem is that I still think 500rpm over the peak power is too low for an exclusively race tuned engine.

Not really. If the engine can rev another 1000rpm, then the exclusive tuner didn't do a very good job of getting all the available power out of the engine did he?

Read what Scawen said as to why it's done this way - it makes sense.
Quote from Scawen :
With modern tuned engines you often can't reach the ideal shift point, because you hit the rev limiter just after maximum power. That's because the engine designer achieved maximum power by adjusting valves, intake and exhaust systems to get the most air and fuel mixture in there at the point before the engine begins to self destruct.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=628138#post628138

Did you mean that?

Good point but in that case I ready doubt 7.5K rpm is close to destruction point of a 4cyl 2lt race tuned engine...

max power is still there but the effective power curve just got shorter so yeah it is not strange that people whine about the less powerful feel…
It will be magnified if you're using an old setup though. Adjust the gearing for the new powerband and it won't feel THAT much different right?
indeed
Imagine my dads car a real life XFG counterpart a swift reving to 10000rpm??

that posible right before it explodes into flames

So totaly imposible

BOOOOOM!!!!:hbomb:---> :bananadea --->:ambulance ------->:wtf2:-->:tombstone
Who bumped my thread?

Yea, basically with this new X3x patch, the cars actually hit a redline, which is what I was talking about all those years ago

Btw, Patch X30 ftww, that new BM kicks, and I never liked the fox o_o

All Cars Rev Too High
(113 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG