The online racing simulator
All Cars Rev Too High
(113 posts, started )

Poll : Cars Rev tOo High?

Yes
They are Ok
No
If the engines rev too high and we can adjust much more things than you can on a standard road car like spring rate, brake torque, differential etc, it seems strange that you cannot remove the passenger seat and add a rollcage. I'm pretty sure that the most important thing when it comes to preparing a car for the track is to fit a rollcage!
Quote from Haduken :The XF GTI rev too high for the type of car it is. In real life a 1.3 four-cylinder can't rev to 10.000 and have 120ps illepall My old R-11 it's a 1.4 carburetor and cannot pass over 5000rpm

Mazda rx-8 it's a 1.3, but it's wankel engine, totally different
The Clio Williams had 150ps, but it was a 2.0

Your typical low-displacement hatchback has a very undersquare engine (very long stroke, small bore) which tends to result in very low revs. My sister's Honda CRX HF had the 1.5L engine and it reved the same as the Pontiac 3.8L pushrod V6 in my old car. This configuration tends to result in much longer engine life. Also, these types of engines tend to have extremely mild cams to widen the powerband and keep revs low.

However, it certainly isn't impossible to get some serious power out of a small engine without forced induction. Case in point, motorcycles. More specifically, since it has the same 1.3L displacement, the Suzuki Hayabusa. It produces about 170 HP at 10,000 RPM. It has an extremely oversquare engine (short stroke, large bore) and extremely aggressive cams.

The difference is, of course, that a motorcycle engine doesn't last nearly as long as a car engine. I'd be very surprised to see a motorcycle with 100,000 miles on it.
Quote from Forbin :
However, it certainly isn't impossible to get some serious power out of a small engine without forced induction. Case in point, motorcycles. More specifically, since it has the same 1.3L displacement, the Suzuki Hayabusa. It produces about 170 HP at 10,000 RPM. It has an extremely oversquare engine (short stroke, large bore) and extremely aggressive cams.

XF GTIs engine is small, hi-reving and nearly normal powered. I think that engine with that revs should have ~150bph. With 115bph this revs are nonsense. Also hi-reving engines like to be hi-reving, otherwise they're very weak. As I know little hipowered, hireving engines have a redline close after peak bph, to prevent reving it ahead and cause damage. XFG has max power at 7000rpm, redline at...9500rpm. Pretty long, but rev limiter is all 1k rpm later, at 10500rpm. What is that for for car with max torque at 5400rpm?

All cars in demo has that 'issue', and S2 maybe too, when I look at their tech specs.
Quote from tristancliffe : Next we'll have Jeff coming in and getting all excited by yet another gear ratio/power/torque discussion, and I've got too many welding burns on my fingers to type a satisfactory argument

How come I never saw this the first time ... I think I was out of town on holidays actually

Still think there's some unfinished business (or more accurately unanswered questions) in the matter...

Have your welding burns healed yet?

In fact, all I have is one simple question that remains unanswered.......
Uh oh!

:hide:
Quote from wheel4hummer :Hey, at least I didn't say "Power = torque x rpm"! By the way, I have this huge, old physics book which has so much stuff in it, but I don't understand ANY of the equations. WTF is a radian?

Radian = more mathematically proper/less arbitrary way to state degrees
360 degrees = 2*(pi) radians because 2(pi) radians is the circumference of a circle with a radius of 1, or the unit circle.
Or simply, pi radians = 180 degrees
yes, 180° = 3.14159... radians
Divide by zero.
Quote from notanillusion :Or simply, pi radians = 180 degrees

Beg your pardon?!? What are you ppl quoting ;P

it was still early in the morning (it still is).. :-)
#88 - JTbo
I think revving high is ok, but engine should act like they do in reallife when you rev too much, they should DIE

I'm too tired to read all, but I just say that I agree with what Tristan says and that will be same if I would read everything.

Oh, Tristan, you need some better gloves, white fingers are no good
Quote from frokki :I agree with you, XFG is the worst, theres no way a hot hatch would rev 10 000 rpm illepall
The shift light also lights up @8000 rpm, i think thats also too late..

edit: english......

well if it was taking after the SPOON civic then it is not to high
Quote from gaz88 :well if it was taking after the SPOON civic then it is not to high

thanks for bumping a one year old thread with nothing useful
Yet more proof we need a read-only archive with the old posts in that only mods can re-open.

Besides, I think people in this thread are forgetting that the LFS cars are race tuned, not stock road-going models.
And I think people didn't install X30

curse you, time limit
The Devs just removed the rev limiters its maybe to high but when the cars rev till 6500rp/m the sound will be boring and finally you fall as sleep
Now the road cars are realy fine… and the GTR cars are boring… I honestly think that GTR and formula cars had already fine redlines… race prepared engines supposed to rev that high and have a bit more spare room for revving 1000rpm above the peak power…

eg now the XFR with a 2lt engine race engine has a rev limiter on 7900 something rpm.
FOX tops @ 7500 !!!
There are every day driven road cars that have higher rev limiters than that

Engine sounds needed to be more exiting and now they are less
I “hate” all of you suggesting that to Scawen…

lol@ me taking advantage of that bump....
Quote from herki :In real race cars, I am not sure about the rev-limiter, we should ask tristan and his reynard about this. I suppose an open-wheeler with wings should race car enough.
If you meant road cars, which are able to race, I can say they have rev-limiters. They are just a few krpms higher than the stock ones. Just watch an epsiode of Best Motoring, Japanese people tend to shift, when the limiter kicks in

well actually one of the first things you do when taking your car to the track regularly is take the rev limiter off, it's a pretty simple job, and almost everyone i race with has done it to their road/track car.
#97 - JTbo
Quote from danben7 :well actually one of the first things you do when taking your car to the track regularly is take the rev limiter off, it's a pretty simple job, and almost everyone i race with has done it to their road/track car.

I have seen limiters in JGTC cars, almost any touring car series actually, club level racing cars and so on, only reason to remove rpm limiter would be that if engine would been modded and limiter cuts before maximum power, which is perhaps quite rare situation as typically modded car will have programmable ecu nowdays, which again has programmable rev limiter.

Removing rev limiter from completely stock car is mostly lack of knowledge, same way as people still are saying one should not polish intake manifold runners, that was with carbs, with FI it is better to polish them
Quote from JTbo :I have seen limiters in JGTC cars, almost any touring car series actually, club level racing cars and so on, only reason to remove rpm limiter would be that if engine would been modded and limiter cuts before maximum power, which is perhaps quite rare situation as typically modded car will have programmable ecu nowdays, which again has programmable rev limiter.

Removing rev limiter from completely stock car is mostly lack of knowledge, same way as people still are saying one should not polish intake manifold runners, that was with carbs, with FI it is better to polish them

ah well to be fair my club runs rotaries, so the more revs the better for us
Quote from kaynd :Now the road cars are realy fine… and the GTR cars are boring… I honestly think that GTR and formula cars had already fine redlines… race prepared engines supposed to rev that high and have a bit more spare room for revving 1000rpm above the peak power…

eg now the XFR with a 2lt engine race engine has a rev limiter on 7900 something rpm.
FOX tops @ 7500 !!!
There are every day driven road cars that have higher rev limiters than that

Engine sounds needed to be more exiting and now they are less
I “hate” all of you suggesting that to Scawen…

lol@ me taking advantage of that bump....

....WHAT?? do u mean the FXO or the FOX? Cause I still shift at 7800 rpm... lol I think the rev limiter is around 9500 or 10 000 rpm..
No I mean the FOX :worried:
max power at 7031 rpm... rev limiter @ 7500 (test patch X30, upcoming Y)

All Cars Rev Too High
(113 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG