The online racing simulator
Best Wheel for a new comer?
(24 posts, started )
Hi, I have just started playing LFS, and it is the first real racing simulator I have got for the PC, infact, its the first racing game I have got for the PC, still on the demo however, but will be buying it when I have paid up my first annual tuition fee for uni.

Now I, as I am sure you all, have problems steering with the mouse. I would like to get a wheel, but not looking to spend over £50 on my first one, really keen on the G25 though.

I play other games such as Team Fortress 2, and EvE online...so my gaming is kind of diluted which explains the point that I would not like to spend too much on my first wheel.

Thanks in advance.

PS
Does this wheel work with the PC? My uncle has one just up the road from me that he wouldnt mind me borrowing.
#2 - garph
If he lives close just go get the xbox wheel and see if it works!

I guess you know how much a G25 is!? Next would be a Driving Force Pro at £79 it's for the PS2/3 but it works with PC and I think it's the most used wheel in LFS and it has the massive rotation as well. The MOMO is specifically for the PC but that has less rotation, all Logitech and have FFB.

Dunno about other wheels, I had a Wingman (yellow) with no FFB and probably only 90 degrees rotation from eBay for £10 but it served me well for nearly 2years until I got my DFP a few months ago.

I guess it really depends on the £!

Wheel guide: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels
Don't buy the XBox wheel you posted there - I don't know if it works for PC, but even if it does, a DFP for the same price would be a much better choice.

However I can understand your situation is a bit tricky. On one hand spending so much money on a wheel when you don't even know if you're into simracing at all is a kinda risky, on the other hand you're really missing out a lot of the experience if you're not using a force feedback wheel.
thanks for the replies, I've been messing on LFS a bit more and it would appear; apart from some rough racing lines I take until I get to know the track well...its entirely the fact that I can only do 0 or 100% acceleration, making it difficult to do corners efficiently in 1st/2nd/3rd gear.

Best I found the DFP for was £90 off Amazon, can you point me to a cheaper place please?

I also found this one on Play.
Ebay stores do them for about £40-£50 for new ones. Have a look round there.
#6 - garph
Thank you all for your help, I just got the full S2 licence today and am still looking for a wheel.

Like you mentioned ebay is a good place to get a cheap DFP but not to be picky I have never ordered off there before, I am unsure about doing so?

Are your previous experiences with ebay good?
Quote from spacedskunk :Thank you all for your help, I just got the full S2 licence today and am still looking for a wheel.

Like you mentioned ebay is a good place to get a cheap DFP but not to be picky I have never ordered off there before, I am unsure about doing so?

Are your previous experiences with ebay good?

I personally prefer Amazon, it's a bit less 'commercial' than Ebay but you are 99% not to get crooked. I bought my Momo Racing from them, and it took only 2 days to deliver (USA-Canada). When you buy more than X$, the shipping is free. So hmmm you can probably get a good deal on used DFP at Amazon and have it shipped free

www.amazon.com
#9 - Timz
Well, it's double your budget, but I started with my current wheel, the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback. 130 Euro's and I can only say: it's worth the money! IT'S FANTASTIC LOL

However, as you say yourself, the G25 wil stay the ultimate goal.

Timz
Attached images
Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel.jpg
Quote from Timz :Well, it's double your budget, but I started with my current wheel, the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback. 130 Euro's and I can only say: it's worth the money! IT'S FANTASTIC LOL

Timz

lol... you got stoled mate... Momo are now for sale for less than 80$
hmm, i am looking for a dfp too, or G25, its just that i can only pay using my Instant Saver card, which i can use with moneybookers, ( how i bought my lfs licence), do you think i could use the card with paypal...?
Quote from Riders Motion :lol... you got stoled mate... Momo are now for sale for less than 80$

and they are crap anyway!
on ebay i saw em for buy it now (canada) 4$
Quote from Timz :Well, it's double your budget, but I started with my current wheel, the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback. 130 Euro's and I can only say: it's worth the money! IT'S FANTASTIC LOL

Timz

130!? De dfp is voor €80 te koop!
I have decided not to waste money on a cheapish wheel, after finding that the semi-decent wheels are above my budget anyway.

I'll be getting a G25 in a month or two

Thanks for all your help.
Quote from spacedskunk :I have decided not to waste money on a cheapish wheel, after finding that the semi-decent wheels are above my budget anyway.

well-done hope you enjoy it
Quote from spacedskunk :I have decided not to waste money on a cheapish wheel, after finding that the semi-decent wheels are above my budget anyway.

I'm SimRacing since the early 90s, I already had 8 Steering Wheels. They all wored out or broke after some time but I ended up with a TSW which is expensive but it is of great Quality and Feeling and cant break down or wear out, its rock solid but expensive.

But what I would recommend to you is to buy a DFP Wheel, seriously its a good wheel for a good price. Your new to Sim Racing so maybe your going to lose interest after some time, then you will not have spent to much money on it.

Even though I have a Wheel that costs 4 times as much as a G25, I always recommend people who come new to Sim Racing to start with a cheaper wheel. DFP is cheap but it is good.

Its like starting to play Golf, and when you start out new you dont have to buy a golf club made out of leather, a Golf bag and Golf shoes, you can start only with a plastic golf club, and after a year or two if you still like this Hobby you can get better equipment, it will be cheaper by then and you will know that you will have a long time use of it
Quote from George Kuyumji :I'm SimRacing since the early 90s, I already had 8 Steering Wheels. They all wored out or broke after some time but I ended up with a TSW which is expensive but it is of great Quality and Feeling and cant break down or wear out, its rock solid but expensive.

But what I would recommend to you is to buy a DFP Wheel, seriously its a good wheel for a good price. Your new to Sim Racing so maybe your going to lose interest after some time, then you will not have spent to much money on it.

Even though I have a Wheel that costs 4 times as much as a G25, I always recommend people who come new to Sim Racing to start with a cheaper wheel. DFP is cheap but it is good.

Its like starting to play Golf, and when you start out new you dont have to buy a golf club made out of leather, a Golf bag and Golf shoes, you can start only with a plastic golf club, and after a year or two if you still like this Hobby you can get better equipment, it will be cheaper by then and you will know that you will have a long time use of it

I know what you mean, I have looked at the DFP, they are around £80, I just think its more logical to think of this as a waste, due to the fact that I am a hard racing fan. I am not very good, but enjoying it is what its all about.

Theres more than just me who will get use out of the wheel anyway, I can think of about ten of my mates that will find the wheel very fun.
To give you an update.
Attached images
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwoty.jpg
#20 - Dru
you managed to get a second hand one?
Quote from Dru :you managed to get a second hand one?

Either that, or he thought ''Sod it, I'll live on beans on toast for the next month...''
got it new from Dell @ £146
#23 - Dru
Quote from spacedskunk :got it new from Dell @ £146

Ah right - sorry looking at the picture I can now see its new - its just too much flash made it look second hand/used
yes its because the camera is crap, had to use flash and theres a lot of noise on the photo, but its reyt, I GOTZ A G25!!!!

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG