The online racing simulator
WTH! drifting bycicle?
(62 posts, started )
WTH! drifting bycicle?
Woo! That brings me back to the day. I used to always take corners like that on my mountain bike, it was just soo much fun. It became part of my ride to school. You just have to keep weight off the back, and make sure theres nothing on the surface that will change (sand over pavement = bad) Get a feel for how far the bike will go sideways before falling over. And it helps if you have mild tread, or if your tires are cold.
~Bryan~
Brilliant, a big dodgy though lol :P
Quote from dropin_biking :Woo! That brings me back to the day. I used to always take corners like that on my mountain bike, it was just soo much fun. It became part of my ride to school. You just have to keep weight off the back, and make sure theres nothing on the surface that will change (sand over pavement = bad) Get a feel for how far the bike will go sideways before falling over. And it helps if you have mild tread, or if your tires are cold.
~Bryan~

Was kinda excadental caus i saw a car and i braked going down hil so there was no weigt on the back and it got lose so there it was folfding bike drifting
It's like he is running on a very hard rubber tire, at high pressure, or the thing is also made of plastic :zombie:
Quote from Tweaker :It's like he is running on a very hard rubber tire, at high pressure, or the thing is also made of plastic :zombie:

I was just thinking the same thing. I doubt it would be possible to drift that smooth on normal bike tyres with normal pressure. Unless they were very worn maybe.
Nah dude you can do it with normal tires. Just watch his legs as he starts and ends drifts, it's all about the muscle to pull the bike out. Looks like he had the tires locked through the slide, I find it easier to pedal through, you can get better angles
~Bryan~
I wouldn't like to have to buy his new tyres...

I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to do, just take a bit of practice. On a full suspension mountain bike, you have to careful of 'high-siding' - something more familiar to motorbike riders. You can be sliding along when suddenly both wheels grip (due to a surface change for example), the suspension compresses, the bike flips over to the other side, the suspension, suddenly relieved of its pressure uncompresses and just fires the bike off into the air
Guys, it's definitely locked rear tyre in the first vid. No, you don't need worn out tyres or anything special. Neither is leg movement needed, though a strong rear brake IS. Just make a turn then lock rear brakes after turn in. It's just like handbrake drifting. Almost as soon as you let go of the rear brake, the rear tyre bites and you continue as usual.

I know this because I do this very often... But the campus roads are too wide and each "drift" like this reduces speed a great deal. So in the end I just get tired having to accelerate after every corner LOL. In the first vid anyway he usually does it going downhill, where the braking (load) from the rear is light and you get momentum going downhill, so the drifts last a while longer.

Just don't touch the front brake!
Why not use the front brake? I use it all the time, it's a little hard to control your speed when you have a back tire slipped out sliding sideways. It does take a bit of skill, even if you do use the 'easy' method of just locking the rear tires the whole corner, sometimes it can be tricky to get the back tire to come back into like, especially on hills and sharp corners. Kudo's to this guy for having control of teh drifttzz.
~Bryan~
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Look what i found when i decided to watcjh some drifting

This guy is simply nuts

I treid it in my folding bike adn it wokred somehow not that extreme but it worked

Uh... he's just locking up the rear wheel and sliding it through a turn. What did you do on a bicycle in your childhood if you never did this? I still use this in my neighborhood since it's all narrow alleys around here (specifically, I did it not 15 minutes ago at the intersection this photo was taken).

The most economic tyre-friendly way of practicing is on wet tarmac.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, also be prepared to lose some spokes if you try it with a typical 28" wheel bike. Can even happen on a 26" if the tyre bites too early for some reason.
Lose spokes? How do you manage that? Any decent rim can handle that sort of stuff. They arn't built weak, thats forsure.
~Bryan~
Quote from dropin_biking :Why not use the front brake? I use it all the time, it's a little hard to control your speed when you have a back tire slipped out sliding sideways. It does take a bit of skill, even if you do use the 'easy' method of just locking the rear tires the whole corner, sometimes it can be tricky to get the back tire to come back into like, especially on hills and sharp corners. Kudo's to this guy for having control of teh drifttzz.
~Bryan~

It's because
a) You're decelerating quickly enough with a locked rear wheel.
b) The front brake doesn't make the rear come back in. It takes load off the rear.
c) You can easily get a low-side if the front slides.
I think, without a surface slippery enough and strength great enough to break traction, locking the rear is probably the only method to get the rear out.
Quote from xaotik :Uh... he's just locking up the rear wheel and sliding it through a turn. What did you do on a bicycle in your childhood if you never did this?

Exactly. There´s nothing really special about that video. Although I used to do this on gravel... Longer slides, less wear.
And there´s nothing really special about the donut video either. Except the fact he does it on tarmac. I can only do it on snow and ice.
Quote from yoyoML :It's because
a) You're decelerating quickly enough with a locked rear wheel.
b) The front brake doesn't make the rear come back in. It takes load off the rear.
c) You can easily get a low-side if the front slides.
I think, without a surface slippery enough and strength great enough to break traction, locking the rear is probably the only method to get the rear out.

Yes, but I'm speaking of when you do it WITHOUT locking the rear wheel, just getting it sideways, past its lateral grip limit, then 'powering over' The front brake is useful to keep the speed down, and helps control how sharp the drift is.
~Bryan~
Quote from xaotik :Uh... he's just locking up the rear wheel and sliding it through a turn. What did you do on a bicycle in your childhood if you never did this? I still use this in my neighborhood since it's all narrow alleys around here (specifically, I did it not 15 minutes ago at the intersection this photo was taken).

The most economic tyre-friendly way of practicing is on wet tarmac.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, also be prepared to lose some spokes if you try it with a typical 28" wheel bike. Can even happen on a 26" if the tyre bites too early for some reason.

Whel i just did some sliping and stuf but im trying to do stuf lke this on ordanari bikes ore my folding bike,

Its kinda hard caus the wheel bites bakc into grip very fast

So the trick is to have not so much profile on the tyre ore a verry hard tyre??
You can drift a bicycle on snow without using any brakes On-power too. Great fun (was)
or on wet leaves..
Sliding those narrow twisty downhills is great fun, until one day you find out that there's two concrete blocks behind that last curve.

...and thats why I stick to driving a car nowdays.
Quote from Hyperactive :You can drift a bicycle on snow without using any brakes On-power too. Great fun (was)

Oh, how I wish we can have some snow here. I'm sure it's a lot of fun.
Quote from dropin_biking :Lose spokes? How do you manage that? Any decent rim can handle that sort of stuff. They arn't built weak, thats forsure.
~Bryan~

Nothing to do with the rim - it's mostly spoke quality/tension related - I've broken stupidly tensioned spokes several times when sprinting out of the saddle on my road bike and losing traction on the rear wheel for example. On my commuter, that has pretty crap quality spokes, I've done the same getting sideways violently either by braking or by going up a cobbled slope out of the saddle, etc.

Quote from Hyperactive : You can drift a bicycle on snow without using any brakes On-power too. Great fun (was)

Yeah, can be a bitch if you have to go uphill though.
Quote from xaotik :
Yeah, can be a bitch if you have to go uphill though.

Not really, you just need to keep on the limit of traction and not to spin the wheel. And if the temperature is nicely below zero, snow has quite a lot of grip. Lowering tire pressure helps too. Ice under your front wheel is what you need to worry about. Still, I love cycling trough winter.
i got a good bike, but i also have a car wich i use everyday lol the only time i used my bike was when i first bought it and i clocked 73kmh go mee!!!!!!one!!!!!!!1!!!!
Quote from kester :only time i used my bike was when i first bought it and i clocked 73kmh go mee!!!!!!one!!!!!!!1!!!!

In free fall?

WTH! drifting bycicle?
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG