The online racing simulator
Yellow Flag Bug
(52 posts, started )
No, because while the LFS trigger is the same for everyone, not everyone drives the same cars on the same tracks. For example, you may run 5 races of 6 laps each in a GT2 car on a track where you cause a yellow every lap, while I may just wait until the next track comes on to join the server and don't have those yellows added to my count. Capiche? I agree it's not the end of the world, but it's just... well... not pleasent
Sounds like you have a point there. So, if I understand this correctly, if you run any kind of "do it yourself" restricted car like a GT2, it is in fact treated in the same way as a GTR when related to speed/yellow flags. So the GT2 car will always be penalised by a yellow in a lot of corners because it's treated like a GTR and is expected to run GTR speeds on corners so any restricted car that drops below what is considered reasonable for a GTR will suffer from a yellow penalty ? Have I got this right ? If so, this just isn't fair as for one thing many teams use the CTRA yellow flag ratio as at least one indicator of a drivers ability.
#28 - SamH
I've not seen anything yet to suggest that a GT2 car will throw any more yellow flags than a GT1 car on the same track. In fact the places where this scenario is described is always apparently in corners. Since only the weight restriction in a corner is actually a factor, and in my experience GT2 cars are not get-out-and-push in corners, I'm so far of the opinion that the issue is entirely imaginary.

Unless someone can show me a replay where a GT2 car is in a corner at GT2 race pace, and a car behind it is being shown a yellow flag... has that been offered yet?
#29 - FL!P
As I said, Sam, I got and saw yellow flags with the GT2 on the Cadet's finish straight that's part of Aston Grand Prix. I don't have a replay, though.
#30 - SamH
I think we probably need to spend an hour on one of the CTRA servers some time soon, trying to recreate the situation and see how likely it is.
Quote from SamH : Since only the weight restriction in a corner is actually a factor, and in my experience GT2 cars are not get-out-and-push in corners, I'm so far of the opinion that the issue is entirely imaginary.

I'm inclined to agree with you there Sam, for now anyhow as from what I've seen in MOE the GT2 cars were pretty much on a level footing with GT1 on corner speed. Not exactly the same restriction settings but not far off so yea, maybe a bit of a test session might just clarify this. Give me a shout if you need some traffic
Maybe the yellow flag code actually checks for speed differences between cars? That could explain GT2 drivers getting yellow flagged on a straight if a fast GT1 driver is approaching from behind.
this very special aston curve bug happens to a lot of cars (like ALL tbo´s). it has nothing to do
with GT2 cars....

try it with a UF1
I was about to post about the yellow flag bug too. I was just racing around and getting out of the way of people and I got 3 yellow flags in one lap!!! What is happening here?! I pride myself in being a safe racer, but this is hurting my confidence. I made a skin and a helmet just for the CTRA. This shows how much preparation I made before joining, but if yellow flags make me look like an unsafe driver, then all is lost.

Please fix the bugs so that safe drivers cannot be unfairly judged. I now have a 300% yellow flag ratio since I just started in the CTRA and with this bug I do not feel like continuing until it is resolved since it is hurting my statistics.
This "yellow flag bug" is not any fault of the CTRA but lies within LFS itself, and I wouldn't quite call it a bug, its just something that happens. Also remember the yellow flag count in CTRA is only a guide and everyone knows it can be way off

So don't worry too much about it just try to enjoy the races

SD.
Still it`s pretty frustrating to get yellow flags.
Lol, like I was racing on Fern Bay Rally X today. Got a yellow every time I tok the car for a slide, I mean, you never slides when you are doing rallycross eh? :rolleyes:
Quote from Gargantula :I was about to post about the yellow flag bug too. I was just racing around and getting out of the way of people and I got 3 yellow flags in one lap!!! What is happening here?! I pride myself in being a safe racer, but this is hurting my confidence. I made a skin and a helmet just for the CTRA. This shows how much preparation I made before joining, but if yellow flags make me look like an unsafe driver, then all is lost.

Please fix the bugs so that safe drivers cannot be unfairly judged. I now have a 300% yellow flag ratio since I just started in the CTRA and with this bug I do not feel like continuing until it is resolved since it is hurting my statistics.

The yellow flag may cause a little annoyance to some but 300% ? If you've just started your career on CTRA then you should see this ratio drastically reduce very quickly. If not, well .....

Just remember, it's the same for everybody and if you are clocking up a high ratio and others aren't, then chances are it's your driving. Actually, I see that you say you collected yellows while being lapped. Are you just pulling over to a stop? That is not the way to be lapped and if you get a yellow flag for doing it, then I'd have to say you probably deserved it because you become a mobile hazard. Being lapped is about moving out of the way at the right time, not slowing. Even on a straight, you only need to feather the throttle a little to let someone through and sometimes not even then because the slip will allow the other guy through, if he's close enough.
Quote :I was just racing around and getting out of the way of people and I got 3 yellow flags in one lap!!!

Hello and welcome to the CTRA, with a little time and confidence I am sure you will settle right in and find it a rewarding place to race. You may wish to check out the page of information in game when you type $blue as this holds invaluable information on how the CTRA treats blue flag situations.

For the record, there is now yellow flag bug in CTRA. The only modification we've made to the LFS system is to count stationary cars in what LFS strangely considers a safe position. There is a lot that is imperfect about the yellow flag system in LFS - it's way too sensitive, it reacts too soon when a car goes off, the flag isnt shown soon enough to drivers approaching the hazard, and it fails to detect many slow or stationary cars when they are on the apron.

However that is the system we are given and as it is the same rulebook for everybody it is at least fair. If the LFS devs adjust the system in the future we'll backup the stat and start it afresh.
Quote from Swiss_Tony :The yellow flag may cause a little annoyance to some but 300% ? If you've just started your career on CTRA then you should see this ratio drastically reduce very quickly. If not, well .....

Just remember, it's the same for everybody and if you are clocking up a high ratio and others aren't, then chances are it's your driving. Actually, I see that you say you collected yellows while being lapped. Are you just pulling over to a stop? That is not the way to be lapped and if you get a yellow flag for doing it, then I'd have to say you probably deserved it because you become a mobile hazard. Being lapped is about moving out of the way at the right time, not slowing. Even on a straight, you only need to feather the throttle a little to let someone through and sometimes not even then because the slip will allow the other guy through, if he's close enough.

Agreed, but (and I may well be wrong here), he's just started his CTRA career, yes? 99% of other servers have the 'dive off the road and come to a stop or we ban you for 999 days' syndrome.

Dk
Quote from FL!P : Sam, I got and saw yellow flags with the GT2 on the Cadet's finish straight that's part of Aston Grand Prix. I don't have a replay, though.

This has happened to me before too. I really don't care that much for stats but for thoughs that do I feel your pain.
Thanks for the replies. I did not know that in a blue flag condition, I should just slow down a little and let them pass instead of stopping. I was trying to really get out of there way yet got penalized for it. My yellow flag ratio went way down now. I cannot get the exact percentage now, since I cannot log in now. This is the second time that I cannot log into MY CTRA. Is that a bug? It was working before now, by just browsing to the page I usually get automatically logged in, but now I get "Login Failed". It will probably work again later.

This league is really fun! I am loving it as a new CTRA driver and I am getting addicted to tweaking my setup. I already shaved about 3 seconds of my lap time for the SO1R track. I need to shave about 2 more seconds off to be really competitive.
#42 - SamH
Great news, I'm really glad you're enjoying the CTRA!

Funnily enough, I also had a problem with logging in/out last night. I spent a good 40 mins trying to fix the problem before discovering that the problem was actually with corrupt cookies in Internet Explorer. If you were looking at stats last night/this morning, around the time I was making changes, you may have fallen victim to my edits.

Try deleting your cookies in Internet Explorer, and trying again. If that doesn't work, or if you're not sure how to do that, let me know here
Yeah I hope to join the STCC one day to help spread the word about virtual racing. I hope it gets to be on television too! I would really love to see this! I never knew I could virtually live my dream! I love what was said in the "History of the STCC" Web page. I really hope to do this in real life eventually too. I am going to try really hard in life to get to do this in the real world.

I am really surprised how easy it was to get a license after I figured out how to make register for it. How come a qualification run is not done first like in some other leagues? On the CTRA Web site it does not say how to register a license. I figured it out by accessing a CTRA server and looking through the $menu and found the section for making a password.

I know how to delete my cookies. I do not want to delete all of my cookies so I am going to hunt for the specific cookie.

[EDIT] Found it as "[User Name Here]@www.raceauthority[1].txt", but it still does not work after deleting it and restarting IE v7. It does not work in Firefox v2 either.
#44 - Jakg
You don't need to "make a license" - one is made automagically for you...

I think you've misunderstood a bit - the CTRA is not a league, it's a server system.

There was a "qualification event" for the STCC, however.
Ah so it is not a league. I did misunderstand. Thank you for clarifying. I still think a small guide on the help page to help users like me to figure out how to be able to log into the My CTRA section. In addition, tell people to install Join2LFS to enable the lfs:// targets. I figured this out the hard way too.

I need to improve though to get to Platinum status to qualify for the STCC.
Yes we are guilty of making CTRA aimed squarly at LFS'rs, and forgetting that STCC has been bringing people in who perhaps dont know much about LFS before they see it. I dont know how many people we've brought in, so we've maybe missed a trick in not making the CTRA site more random web visitor friendly.

I tend to view the CTRA site as the drivers portal, and the STCC as the spectators portal. What we perhaps need is something on the STCC site explaining the CTRA more fully. STCC web content is due an overhaul anyway, as soon as I can announce what (if any) TV deals we are going to run with.
#47 - SamH
If all goes well, the future of the STCC is very bright indeed. The stress is definitely on the "if all goes well", though. Becky's working very hard on that bit. As things are at the moment, you'll definitely need to be working towards your Platinum licence but my understanding is that for those drivers who earn Platinum, there will be an opportunity to try out and qualify for either STCC, or sister leagues. I can't say very much at the moment, because so much depends on the afore-mentioned "if all goes well"

Becky holds the keys
Yeah ! So it's nearly time to dust off all my old seat badgering e-mails again ? Anyhow, I've got all Sam's cool new stats to enable me to strengthen my case this time around. Bad move after all Sam
#49 - SamH
LOL Tony! I reckon a seat would fit you like a glove!

Becky's at the sharp end of the business, and she's very good at proving time and time again that she doesn't have favourites where the STCC is concerned - Jak, her own teammate, can vouch for that, as can Dustin and me!
Oh yeah, stupid anti-asking-race-director-for-tyre-temps-of-opponent rules...

The only way she plays favourites, is allowing me to be a brat and change my skin between heats and rounds and from quali to races...

Then there's waiting races becuase Sam is having a shit... :hide:

Edit: Since when did my Mac suddenly have the P key, where the B is?

Yellow Flag Bug
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG