The online racing simulator
Yellow Flag Bug
(52 posts, started )
Yellow Flag Bug
Well, it`s starting to anoy the living crap out of me, I get a yellow in aston if I drive slower than 110 km/h.
That means, if I get a little slide and have to release the throttle - yellow flag.
Is this something that can be changed with CTRA or is it LFS itself?
Because I`Ll bet that at least 25% of my yellow flags isn`t, I got them for simply driving not fast in corners.
Comon, yellow flags should only been given if you spin or goes like 50 km/h on track.
It's an LFS thing, and I think yellow flags are given if you're slower than the AI corner speed by a certain percentage. How do you notice you were causing a yellow flag? Does the X-system announce that now?
Quote from AndroidXP :It's an LFS thing, and I think yellow flags are given if you're slower than the AI corner speed by a certain percentage. How do you notice you were causing a yellow flag? Does the X-system announce that now?

I can`t remember right, but it comes a red text on the screen telling me to be carefull when re-entering the racing or something, and when I check stats I have got 1 extra yellow flag. Just today I`m sure that I got 20 of them, just for beeing a little slow in the chicane.

I`m not sure on the yellow flag rule, but isn`t that something that happens if a car stops on track, spins or crash? Not for going a little slow in a corner?
Well, technically it's for "danger on track", and depending on your definition of "a little slow" you might as well pose a danger

A similar incident in real life probably wouldn't cause a yellow, but there's only so much you can do with an automated flag detection.
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, technically it's for "danger on track", and depending on your definition of "a little slow" you might as well pose a danger

A similar incident in real life probably wouldn't cause a yellow, but there's only so much you can do with an automated flag detection.

Well, the only right thing would be to stick a yellow flag to my car

It`s not like it`s the end of the world, I just find it strange to get a yellow flag for taking it easy in the corners
were you using the GT2 cars perhaps?

restricted cars seem to pull more yellows, and aston is the worst track for it, some configs you get 1 for exiting the pits and another 2 at different parts of the track, I think I got alot with the UF1 also

SD.
I can't say I've ever noticed that - as far as I know, the LFS system works off the car you're driving rather than any others (that is to say, it calculates the percentage of speed loss needed to cause a yellow flag with restrictions taken into account), so restrictions should make no difference. If it is calculated by a percentage, you might find more yellow flags in slower cars because the actual miles per hour speed loss required to cause a flag is less than in a faster car.

Sam
Quote from SparkyDave :were you using the GT2 cars perhaps?

restricted cars seem to pull more yellows, and aston is the worst track for it, some configs you get 1 for exiting the pits and another 2 at different parts of the track, I think I got alot with the UF1 also

SD.

I was using the GTR(1) class.
I know you can take the chicane at 160 km/h, but it would be hell to drive it perfect every time. Lets say you get a slide and lift of the throttle a little, then you get to something around 110+- km/h, then you get a yellow
Well, that is already a ~30% difference. Just imagine if this was a blind corner/chicane and someone drives behind you with the proper speed. If I was that guy I'd be pissed if I crashed into you because I got no warning whatsoever. Sorry but if you think that being 50km/h off the speed is being just a "little slow" then you're wrong IMO
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, that is already a ~30% difference. Just imagine if this was a blind corner/chicane and someone drives behind you with the proper speed. If I was that guy I'd be pissed if I crashed into you because I got no warning whatsoever. Sorry but if you think that being 50km/h off the speed is being just a "little slow" then you're wrong IMO

I said that 160 km/h was an absolute maximum of speed that you can handle the chicane with. Most likely will be something like entering speed at 130 or so.
But I get you`re point, I just belived that yellows were caused by a car that were spinning or something, not because he was a n00b and couldn`t take the corner perfect
Well, to continue your example, if 160km/h is the "absolute maximum" (= WR speed), then on normal competitive racing the speed shouldn't be any lower than 150-155km/h. Driving through it with 130km/h is something you do on your initial lap if you're completely unaware of this combo and the possible speeds, or maybe with loads of traffic around.

But whatever, I just want to make sure you understand what a huge impact such seemingly small speed differences have, which not always but sometimes does warrant a yellow flag. And from Scawen's side it's probably a "better safe than sorry" situation - it's not like he knew this would someday be used as sort of a how-clean-drives-that-racer stat
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, to continue your example, if 160km/h is the "absolute maximum" (= WR speed), then on normal competitive racing the speed shouldn't be any lower than 150-155km/h. Driving through it with 130km/h is something you do on your initial lap if you're completely unaware of this combo and the possible speeds, or maybe with loads of traffic around.

But whatever, I just want to make sure you understand what a huge impact such seemingly small speed differences have, which not always but sometimes does warrant a yellow flag. And from Scawen's side it's probably a "better safe than sorry" situation - it's not like he knew this would someday be used as sort of a how-clean-drives-that-racer stat

Hehe, ok
I`ll agree on that point.
if I stop on a corner to let cars by, it gives me a yellow flag and I don't think that is corrent. also if I slow down a lot on a stright to let cars by it gives it to me too. I tried the same thing with AI in both conditions and LFS doesn't give a yellow to me.
Duh, because obviously the AI cars don't need to be informed about obstacles on the track (they'd ignore them anyway :razz.

But why do you stop on a corner? Why do you slow down a lot on the straight? All that is NOT needed to let other cars by, you can perfectly well do that while maintaining normal speed. I find randomly parked cars at the track rather irritating, to be honest. The situations you create are all unnatural to the track and IMO very yellow flag worthy - real drivers don't go out on a training session and park their car somewhere on the track to let others by either.
Quote from AndroidXP :Duh, because obviously the AI cars don't need to be informed about obstacles on the track (they'd ignore them anyway :razz.

But why do you stop on a corner? Why do you slow down a lot on the straight? All that is NOT needed to let other cars by, you can perfectly well do that while maintaining normal speed. I find randomly parked cars at the track rather irritating, to be honest. The situations you create are all unnatural to the track and IMO very yellow flag worthy - real drivers don't go out on a training session and park their car somewhere on the track to let others by either.

Monaco Qualy 2006?
Okay, well, maybe during qualifying yes. But I'm pretty sure ZZ was talking about stopping in the mid of a (CTRA) race.
Quote from AndroidXP :Okay, well, maybe during qualifying yes. But I'm pretty sure ZZ was talking about stopping in the mid of a (CTRA) race.

yes to let the cars by.
I've only seeing it being an issue with the last corner of one of the South City combos (sprint 2?) with the UF1. TBH taking a corner at 110km/h that can be taken at 160km/h (without track cutting I presume) does suggest that you're out for a Sunday drive and are likely to produce a road block for just about everyone.

Quote from Zachary Zoomy :if I stop on a corner to let cars by, it gives me a yellow flag and I don't think that is corrent. also if I slow down a lot on a stright to let cars by it gives it to me too. I tried the same thing with AI in both conditions and LFS doesn't give a yellow to me.

That just causes more of a danger, and completely defeats the intention of the move. A faster car should be able to get past you with ease if you deliberately take a wide line or lift very slightly on a straight they should have no issue passing you. Under normal circumstances though in LFS (and all IRL) you're not obliged to do either of those anyway.
Sorry but I've yet to get the yellow unless I really munt a corner.

In my opinion it's fine & if u get a yellow on a corner then try driving it much faster, if u'r 30kph off normal speed then u should get a yellow.

There's often a rule 4 qualifying that states poll + #, if u'r slower than # then go home.

I've spent heaps of time getting my speed up so my suggestion is take it as a very unsubtle hint that your slow.

The secret with being fast is corner speed so practice........
Quote from Racer X NZ :

The secret with being fast is corner speed so practice........

I have to say I disagree and its not secret that slow in, fast out is a good way to approach most turns.

I am very often braking earlyer and apexing slower than others, being smooth is also important

Yellow flags as a result of a blue flag is a difficult one, as some drivers will stop or throw their car off track so as to not upset the leaders, but as others here have said, they should be able to drive around backmarkers without requiring the backmarkers to slow or even move off their line, but a very slight lift and an indicator signal or running wide at an appropriate place goes a long way and is IMO sporting.

SD.
Yes, totally agree that slow in/ fast out is best.
That info has sped me up heaps.
My point was that the faster the corner speed, the faster the lap but I didn't put it very well.
#22 - FL!P
I was on Race 2 last evening, driving the FZR GT2, and I got and saw lots of yellow flags at AS5R, particularly on Cadet's final straight (even when being flat-out). I believe this is caused by LFS not taking the intake restriction into account when determining the speed under which you trigger a yellow flag.
i was racing there and i noticed this, too.

but why are you all that much after the yellow flags???

its worth nothing... nothing good, nothing bad, its just a number.

i think i got 11% or 12% after 8228 laps... so nevermind
what lfs does, its possible to drive mostly clean
It may not actually be "worth" anything, but I can imagine that many people pay a great deal attention to it and do their best to keep their ratio down. I know I do That's what you get when you introduce nifty little stats like that, people will make it a personal goal to get a certain statistic below a certain number And I can imagine that it gets annoying when your count goes up nearly every lap for no reason at all.
what happens because of a so called lfs-bug happens to all
drivers. and the only thing stats are for is, to compare it with
other drivers.

lets say there will be more top 10´s in the future, like the
top 10 record´s already are. e.g. for wins, yellows etc.

every drivers plays the same lfs, so the stat will represent
the right thing, don´t you think?

Yellow Flag Bug
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG