The online racing simulator
cpu? gfx?
(17 posts, started )
cpu? gfx?
Okay, so im running on a decent amd64 3700+ and a nvidia 7300gs. but its bothering me how slow it is, it can barely handle WMP while in LFS... and i think i might get a new CPU because my graffix card might be fine according to some people, running my 17 inch 1024 x 1080 crt. so... new graphics card, or new cpu? if cpu, which one will be best for my need for more FPS but a LOT of multitasking? [photoshop, audicity, lfs, WMP, msn, 5 instances of IE, on windows xp]. $2XX quad core? or the same prices dual core? please help
Hmm...LFS slows down while using WMP, that doesn't seem right. WMP (I use version 10) has a VERY small footprint on your systems processing. Of course you don't have an amazing machine, it should be very capable of running more then one thing at once. I would look into the issue further before thinking of hardware upgrades. I'm sure jakg will come along soon and explain the whole "healthy system" thing, as I'm just too tired.
~Bryan~
Uh, how much RAM do you have?
When was the last time you defragmented?
I suggest you try out Winamp, it eats much less RAM than WMP.

Next, you should buy more RAM if you can. This will easily speed up your computer, and will let you run more applications at a time, which is what you do. Depending on what type of RAM you have, you may want to spend up to $100 to buy some more.

If you really want, you can buy a new GPU if you play a lot of games. The 7300 isn't a very good card to play games on, and if you play a lot of games you might want an 8600 or 8800. An 8600 goes for around $150-$200, and 8800 is a lot more expensive.

As for the CPU, a dual core one will be much faster than the single core you currently have. You can get a dual core AMD cpu for $60-$200 depending on how fast you want it to be.

Hope this helps...
Quote from MijnWraak :....which one will be best for my need for more FPS but a LOT of multitasking? [photoshop, audicity, lfs, WMP, msn, 5 instances of IE, on windows xp].

You need an Athalon XP 3500+, X1650 pci-e, and 1 gig RAM, because my specs are lower than yours and I don't have any problems multitasking between LFS, WMP/Winamp, PSP7, as many IE windows as I want, Outlook for email.... all at the same time.
#7 - Jakg
7300GS = Terrible.

I used to have a 3700, and even at stock that was fine for LFS - if your not running AA you shouldn't be getting the slow performance you have.

I can't say much else without knowing your RAM situation, i must say - i'm sure you've got DDR1, probably DDR400, but how much?
uhh something really weird happened. i went to dl CPU-z to check my ram, [ i know i have 1.5 gb but not sure which kind] after i executed it, the cpu fan went into overdrive. it only does this upon a startup if the computer is cold, to get rid of dust i assume. i didnt get to read it as i shut it off and restarted. its fine now, but dont want to download it again..

im pretty sure its 1.5 gb of ddr 400 ram. 2 sets of different budget ram.

eh, downloaded again and its fine but. i got 2 gigs of ram, 200 mhz - pc3200. all equal in performance/specs

p.s when i added the extra 1 gig to my standard 1 gig, i didnt notice a performance boost at all. not even loading times =[

p.p.s i was wondering about the quad cores because i wont my rig to be a good in the future, instad of upgrading a little bit every time, maybe ~ 5 years.
Quote from dropin_biking :Hmm...LFS slows down while using WMP, that doesn't seem right. WMP (I use version 10) has a VERY small footprint on your systems processing. Of course you don't have an amazing machine, it should be very capable of running more then one thing at once. I would look into the issue further before thinking of hardware upgrades. I'm sure jakg will come along soon and explain the whole "healthy system" thing, as I'm just too tired.
~Bryan~

i think i had more programs on at the time, dont remember :/

defragged about a week ago.
#10 - Jakg
Something tells me SOMETHING is dodgy there.

What's your PSU? Do you know what your temperatures are?
300 watt 5 year old psu. or 3 year old. tempatures? 57 degrees C idle.70 + degrees under load. idk about cpu.
Thermal throttling definitely, next time your playing LFS for a while, alt+tab into the desktop and screenshot CPU-Z (google the name for the program if you don't know what its about) If it really is thermal throttling that could be your problem, then open up the case and make sure the dust is cleaned out of it (you can use those cans of CO2 from computer stores) Make sure you focus on the heatsink for the processor.
~Bryan~
hm, i dont think so. i usually clean out the case every few weeks, and keep case cover slightly open if not all the way open so i can see if theres dust. i will defrag, get rid of crap i dont need, and clean tonight though. thanks for all the help./

heres a pic of main cpu-z after 2 minutes of starting grid 20 fzr's. no aa/af.
#14 - Jakg
Quote from dropin_biking :Thermal throttling definitely

It's not - AMD's don't thermal throttle afaik, they just turn off.
Quote from MijnWraak :hm, i dont think so.

LOL

It's definately overheating - even using the stock heatsink and overclocking my old 4000 only hit 55° under load. You really shouldn't go past 55-60° or else you WILL permanently damage your CPU.
Hi MijnWraak

Is your prob low FPS whilst multitasking, or is it stuttering only when LFS looses focus, and does this happen when you minimise LFS? or only with it windowed or maximise?

Did you possably give LFS higher CPU priority?
SD.
jakg, sorry that was my video card temps. [idk if those temps are bad bad =X]

dave, it stutters changing track in wmp, if only those two are on that is.I usually go maximized - dont know how much it does minimized - but any more processes it bogs down my whole comp and fps gets lower. when i put it higher priority with WMP on, it makes it worse as cpu for some reason cant handle both. [abovenormal] it puts its load on lfs but then has to switch to wmp and both get low quality. *shrug* idk if this is average for a single core amd, but the ultimate question, should i get a CPU or a graphics card first? (im now thinking more towards $270 dual core intel[maybe overclock ], new mobo and psu)
Now i realize, in order to get a new cpu, id have to get a new mobo, psu, case, cpu.. over 600 usd. i honestly dont have the money so how much of a performance boost would i get from ddr 200, to ddr2 800? Oh wait, id have to get new mobo for that too >_< shood i just wait 3 years and get a whole new computer or what? :P

cpu? gfx?
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG