The online racing simulator
A Canadian Vacation
(43 posts, started )
A Canadian Vacation
I've always thought of Canada as a nice peaceful country and am planning a vacation there for the summer. We are planning to stay in Montreal. I'd like to hear from Canadians or people who have visited this area. Can anyone from there or who knows the area suggest sites to see, things to do, places to go etc in the Montreal area?

If it helps, I am going with three of my friends and we plan to take Amtrak there (from New York.) We plan to stay for 6-7 days. Any help is appreciated.
all i can say is have fun
If you are going sometime soon, go anywhere you want. There will be no one around. They'll all be at the hockey game
PLAYAPIMP-Thanks we'll try =]
mrodgers-We are going late june-early july.

Anyone live there or suggest things to do?
Everyone in Montreal is rude,why would you go to Quebec if you want scenery? If you want scenery and a really nice time then go to British Columbia; pretty much anywhere. If possible, Vancouver Island would be ideal.

**** off Jeff! Stop sending them to invade my homeland! ;p
I spent a good few weeks in Ottawa, then traveled over to Montreal, this was in July. The locals were VERY friendly, and had amazing bilingual skills. The scenery and weather were both beautiful, and we even hit up a nice go kart track, twas a grand time.
~Bryan~
(BC Is the best place to go if you believe in the power of the plant! Ontario is also kick ass because everybody around Muskoka is down-to-earth mellow, very stoner-like)
Montreal is always best when taken in small doses :P.

Best time to come is for the F1 grandprix, always a blast.
Good luck with today's exchange rate! :headbang:

It would be great if you guys could go to Quebec City, it's very nice, but I dunno about Montreal. I've only driven through it a couple of times, and the highways are a mess around there.
BC is a very nice place. if you get by our crowded streets and head for the mountians or vancouver island and go camping on the island there are some very nice places 1-5 hours up hte island. to drive to part hardy (end of island) takes about 8-10 hours and some nice places up there. or you can go into the BC interior and go camping there.

or toronto. don't know a whole lot about it. or try Nova Scotia. nice scenary. like BC in a way. long drive to get places but what the hey! your on vacation
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Everyone in Montreal is rude,why would you go to Quebec if you want scenery? If you want scenery and a really nice time then go to British Columbia; pretty much anywhere. If possible, Vancouver Island would be ideal.

Quote from RMachucaA :Montreal is always best when taken in small doses :P.

Hahahaha... No one likes Quebec (har har, kidding!)

If you are dead-set on Montreal, go around the weekend of the Sommet des Legends at le Circuit Mont Tremblant. AMAZINGLY beautiful area and track, with some fantastic vintage race cars.

Aside from that... go to BC. It's nicer. :P

[EDIT] Oh yea; all the ski-hills in Quebec are closed during the summer AFAIK; but many of the ones in BC and Alberta are open for some downhill mountain-biking. Food for thought for any athletic-types.
STOP SENDING PEOPLE TO BC! I don't want to have the faint chance of running into an LFS forumer, such as I had the potential of running into Jeff a few months back.
I live in Toronto, it's really multicultural and fun down here, but the drivers will scare you shitless sometimes.

Montreal is okay but you run out of things to do after a while..
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I live in Toronto, it's really multicultural and fun down here, but the drivers will scare you shitless sometimes.

don't you have to put your arm out to cross the street to get the drivers to stop? thats if It doesn't get cut off by the driver your tring to stop
Vancouver (in particular, Surrey), you don't cross the street. You get carried across in a bodybag.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Vancouver (in particular, Surrey), you don't cross the street. You get carried across in a bodybag.

very true. had some close calls on my bike in vancouver.
Surrey people don't walk.

They just hijack the nearest car.

Don't forget, in Canada, there's more beaver than you can shake a stick at .

Though you have to watch out with the beaver in Canada. It bites.
Canadian beavers are better than any other. (Take that in which ever context you want )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Surrey people don't walk.

They just hijack the nearest car.

In Surrey, people DON'T walk... You have to have an old one speed bike with thin tires and a metal basket on the front... It's also a prerequisite that you're in fact not from Canada in order to take residence in Surrey! This explains why there are so few sidewalks in residential areas...
Sorry to hijack this thread...

Just wondering what the best way to go cross-Canada is...

Dustin: I'll make sure to drop by BC then Have coffee ready

BBT: Where IS Mont-Tremblant? I can't find it on google earth
No I idea, I would never go to QC

IT's probably an ant hill anyway; the only mountains that really exist in Canada are the Alberta/BC Rockies, and some bumps further towards / @ the west coast. Calling something a mountain if it's not in AB / BC is quite likely a misnomer!
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Sorry to hijack this thread...

Just wondering what the best way to go cross-Canada is...

In terms of ease-of-travel, the Trans-Canada Highway is your best bet methinks. If you want the scenic route.. well.. find your own way. It'll be more fun

Quote :BBT: Where IS Mont-Tremblant? I can't find it on google earth

'Mont Tremblant,' IIRC, no longer officially exists. Look for St. Jovite. ...Or maybe it was the other way around? I forget now...

BBT is right about the false 'mountain' claim; Quebec actually has zoning laws limiting the height of buildings so that none of them are taller than their 'mountains.'
thanks for all the info. My first plan was BC but for time reasons i started looking at Montreal. Maybe we can make BC work

A Canadian Vacation
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG