The online racing simulator
What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
No such thing as computers when i were a lad !
Attached images
Scalextric.JPG
mine? Racing Days R. demo version. I really got into racing with TIR for mac. and my first steering wheel.
First ever game I played what got me racing was Destruction Derby and before that I used to watch F1 on the TV and I did MotorCross.
Monster Truck Madness, and to a lesser extent, "Hover!" for Windows 95
OMG dude, HOVER was awesome. What's so weird is that NO-ONE I've ever asked seems to have heard of it! I still fool around with it from time to time when I'm bored. I think it would be cool if the next version of Windows included a modernized version.
#81 - aoun
GP2 for PC (1994 F1 season)
Formula One PS1 (1996 F1 season)
Gran Turismo 1-2-3
Live For Speed

Those are the main games..
Quote from Stang70Fastback :OMG dude, HOVER was awesome. What's so weird is that NO-ONE I've ever asked seems to have heard of it! I still fool around with it from time to time when I'm bored. I think it would be cool if the next version of Windows included a modernized version.

Tried Retro Remakes? They remake stuff like that, I've got the win95 disk lying about, need an OLD machine to run it on tho :P

F1GP got me into racing, I have a very clear memory of the F1gp cars with the sponsors on them, I don't know why, but I recall Senna crashing out at Monaco in F1gp, and the animation of him climbing out of the car. I can't find anything about it, can anyone enlighten me if I was mstaken, or if I did see it? >.< After that it was Indycar II, and Nascar 2 and 3 (I still play N3 from time to time) then NFS3/4. GP3 was the one that got me hooked, I used to spend hours just lapping in the McLaren at Silverstone, trying to beat my best. I took a bit of a break after that, concentrting on strategy, till GP4 came out, discovered LFS around the same time

DK
Nascar Racing from Papyrus (the first one )
Quote from romus74 :For me it was Sports Car GT. I had played many games before, but after I had bought a Guillemot FF Wheel to play CMR2 I bought SCGT as well, and since that I've loved simulations.

SCGT on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb5cWh98Slk

Are there, or were there different versions of scgt? Cause that video was almost but not quite the same game as the one I had. I'm looking at the original game case and it has a big ugly BMW M3 on the cover.

This is definately the one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ;mode=related&search=
LFS is what finally gave FPS's as my main way to get my kicks the boot thanks to good online capabilities. But before that I played a lot of MCO, f1 challenge/02, and my first serious attempt at playing racing games was need for speed 3. Also played a lot of other racing games off and on, but those are the big ones, besides NFS:PU. (Remember playing the old papyrus indy car game though when I was a youngin'.)
Quote from hyntty :Are there, or were there different versions of scgt? Cause that video was almost but not quite the same game as the one I had. I'm looking at the original game case and it has a big ugly BMW M3 on the cover.

This is definately the one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ;mode=related&search=

I guess the other video used almost only add-ons but its still the same game.

The first part of the video is at Sebring, I think, which was in the original game.
Ok, first game was Test Drive with my good old 286 machine but i wouldn't call that racing. First racing game was, and i understand racing as a challenge against human players, Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge because i was able to race against my buddies (splitscreen ftw ) and not against the time or either stupid or "ueber" AI's. The first game i was able to drive with a wheel and also online was Interstate 76 which is of course not a racing game but still a funny experience. First simulation was Nascar Racing, first sim online was GPL followed by Nascar Racing 2002 & Nascar Racing 2003 and first game im playing for several years now is of course Live for Speed

I was never a fan of those old F1 games exept IndyCar Racing because you always had to stay on the inside before a turn otherwise you would not be fast enough on the exit or simple leave the track. That reminds me on the demo days in lfs where i have seen many people taking turns the same way.
My first racing game was NFS 4 I've been playing racing games in the NFS manner (buttons bashing) for a few years until I met GT4. It was the game that taught me to use brakes to go faster. After 1,5 years with GT4, I 've discovered LFS. Slowly but stedialy it was turning me away from "ultimate driving simulator", and now I've just lost count of dust layers on GT4 disc...
In my early days I used to enjoy the low res delights of Power Drift on the C64.
First driving game I played a lot of was Geoff Crammonds F1GP the original.

I think Lotus turbo Challenge & Supercars 2 were two great racing games.

*AMIGA RULES!*
Sega Rally on the Saturn, I miss those days.
#92 - halo
Sports Car GT
Quote from hyntty :Are there, or were there different versions of scgt? Cause that video was almost but not quite the same game as the one I had. I'm looking at the original game case and it has a big ugly BMW M3 on the cover.

As Zeugnimod says, there were hundredths of SCGT add-on car available (still you can find many of them).
I had around 350 add-on cars installed and total track was 70.
(I had near 150 track but sim allowed max. 70)
I missed those days sometimes.
I lapped Nurburgring Süd. with a modificated F50 around 5.30 min.
with average speed ~240, max speed was 421 km/h. After that,
I got a neck pain. The track seem like a fast forward video while driving.
That was fun...
Mario Kart for SNES was probably the first "racing game" I ever played. After that it was Need For Speed High Stakes.

OT:
Its funny that an article about RFactor (when it was brand-new) brought me to LFS, because there it was stated that the physics and multiplayer engine were better in Live For Speed. Live For Speed? Hmm, Google -> Ocrana Website-> link to Demo download [some time later]-> S2
I've always been a fan of racing games, but yet LFS has had the biggest influence on my interest in motorsports. Gaining knowledge of vehicle dynamics and racecraft for example has made watching motorsports a lot more interesting.

It's a shame that commentators (in here at least) do not pay attention to these aspects at all, so where could I have got the knowledge then? For example, there is no finnish word for "apex", and I can't recall F1 commentators ever even trying to talk about it.
Quote from 510N3D :Ok, first game was Test Drive with my good old 286 machine ...

That one was my first. I played it on a monochrome CRT so it looked a lot worse. Reminds me of all those cracked widshields!

CMR2 and Porsche Unleashed got me racing seriously. I've held LAN parties with them and still play them from time to time.
on PC:
The Need for Speed
Need for Speed II SE

on PS1:
Grand Torusimo

This was when I was like 8
mmm... The first Need For Speed is pretty much the first rather realistic car racing game I ever played. I played some car racing games around the 1st Pentium era as well like Screamer (this one probably not) and this one rally game that I couldn't remember the name. I stick on pretty much racing sims since Gran Turismo.

Does anyone remember the name of a single-seater car racing game around the Sega Genisis era? I forgot the name of it, but that one really made me wonder about physics engine. I tried to play it on Genesis and its physics engine is way different compare to arcade version.
Quote from madbikes :Does anyone remember the name of a single-seater car racing game around the Sega Genisis era? I forgot the name of it, but that one really made me wonder about physics engine. I tried to play it on Genesis and its physics engine is way different compare to arcade version.

I tried to give it a shot on google (why to ask on a forum, when google gives you an instant answer..), and found out that I've also spent hours with it in the arcade. And didn't even remember the whole thing until now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua_Racing
Quote from frokki :I've always been a fan of racing games, but yet LFS has had the biggest influence on my interest in motorsports. Gaining knowledge of vehicle dynamics and racecraft for example has made watching motorsports a lot more interesting.

My story is very similar, though I think it was the '03 Australian GP coinciding with a GTR (the mod) league race at the same track that really peaked my interest. No matter where the tv cockpit cams came in, the section of track was immediately recognizable. At the time I was blown away and it was then that I realized I could use
sims to help my understanding of real motorsports/circuits.

I find it hard to explain racing to some people because there's so much background and driving knowledge that one needs in order to really appreciate motorsports in their entirety (IMO).
Quote from DrDNA :
I find it hard to explain racing to some people because there's so much background and driving knowledge that one needs in order to really appreciate motorsports in their entirety (IMO).

I don't think this is true, to appreciate racing you just gotta love watching cars drive fast :P.

As for games, First racing game I played was pole position on the 2600 :P could never get past the first track through. First racing game I played to deaf was carmegeddon (if you can call that racing) And some of the earlier need for speed series.
-
(Rappa Z) DELETED by Rappa Z

What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG