The online racing simulator
Quote : that is far too easy to be an argument, sorry

Sounds like the gloves are off and you just slapped my face with it. The gauntlet has been thrown...

Please back up your words with a video or replay.
Quote from Becky Rose :Sounds like the gloves are off and you just slapped my face with it. The gauntlet has been thrown...

Please back up your words with a video or replay.

I would never slap a lady.. but I will back up my words, video being rendered as I write this

edit: and here we go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdJKvsT3ZA
When you know you're a good drifter or better...
... is when you brag about going around roundabouts in 520hp Ford hanging yer arse out the window on the internet forums.
Quote from squidhead :I would never slap a lady.. but I will back up my words, video being rendered as I write this

edit: and here we go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdJKvsT3ZA

Not bad, but your entry slide is too far. I got the right hander slightly too far, but the left hander perfect . You're just yanking the handbrake... If there is any class in drifting at all, it would be drifting the right amount

Of course, this is all codswollop because all we've proved is any idiot, include us two, can make the arse end of a car stick out. Now all we've got to do is learn how to go through corners fast without sticking the arse end out ...... Much harder!
Quote from Becky Rose :Of course, this is all codswollop because all we've proved is any idiot, include us two, can make the arse end of a car stick out. Now all we've got to do is learn how to go through corners fast without sticking the arse end out ...... Much harder!

honestly you drove it with a fwd that can pull itself out of any slide and still your lines were way off on both bends
claiming that drifting is something anybody can do on their first try based on that performance ... well i could make a pun on making an arse of oneself but i dont want to come off as insulting
Quote from Shotglass :honestly you drove it with a fwd that can pull itself out of any slide and still your lines were way off on both bends
claiming that drifting is something anybody can do on their first try based on that performance ... well i could make a pun on making an arse of oneself but i dont want to come off as insulting

you could always do a video of how its supposed to be done

disclaimer: i am not making any vids i already say here, i cant do anything that requires making a video.

<grin>
I can easily control a slide and point the car at whatever direction I want when I am already at the limit and the rear end steps out (racing) but when I try to drift on purpose, I can’t even hold a steady drift angle…
Making the car go on purpose sideways in a certain way trough the corner isn’t as easy as it seems.
Sliding the car allover the place inside (or outside) the track is a piece of cake and it is what the 90% of so called drifters consider as drifting…

So what makes a good drifter?
The ability to hold a certain line while going sideways with a certain angle and certain speed…
Quote :honestly you drove it with a fwd that can pull itself out of any slide and still your lines were way off on both bends
claiming that drifting is something anybody can do on their first try based on that performance

I like to throw cars around for fun as much as the next person, but i'm a racer. That little video was something I made because i'd attempted to get what I considered the perfect show off slip angle on the two bends and nailed the first apex and only just missed the second. I made it for my pleasure (a while back - check the sounds!), and posted it here more as a side note. If there is any serious point at all to anything i've said, it's that racers can drift - if they want too.

Sliding a car is an an essential racing skill and comes under the section "crash recovery" . Anyone who deliberately crashes has a slightly different name of course...

Other than that, the video and posts with squidhead are just a bit of fun .
When you can drift any car around any corner without spinning out or without any practice at that corner. Also you should be able to drift any car around any corner with ANY setup without using your emergency brake.
Oh well, that is my opinion. I am a racer and a drifter. (a far better racer than drifter if you ask me). Scaring the poo out of people by drifting around them during a race is always fun but ruins the next two laps because the tires got too hot. (If the developers do anything to my FZR other than add a tad of power, I will..... *cough* Use your imagination)

Watching videos made by Squighead is a real pleasure. They are all done so... Oh what's the word.. Perfect?
How 'bout this....

When you can drift with the default setup and/or a realistic setup with realistic settings.....

.....then you're good at drifting.

Any of the LFSer's that have a fair amount of driving time can pick up drifting and look as good as 90% of the drifters I see on the servers if they were using these 'drift sets'.

I've watched driving instructors "drift" stock powered Mustangs with fairly soft and high suspension and make as much smoke, angle and speed as the majority of the real drifting I've seen. (D1 and other support drifting competitions at different races)

They smoothly transfer weight onto the front tires and by making a smooth turn in (to prevent wheel jerk understeer) and getting on the power, they are sliding into and through the corner with constant throttle modulation.

Watching 'pro drifters' flick super stiff, low, overpowered cars is not as difficult in my opinion.

Yes it takes skill, just like freestyle motocross, but I'm damned sure Carmichael,McGrath and Stewart could win a freestyle competition easily if the put their efforts into it. Just like drifting, freestyle MX was sparked by the nac-nac and can-can that McGrath used to celebrate after a RACE. People have misunderstood where drifting came from. Suuuper tight corners with a street car, on the street. In order to avoid guardrail smashing understeer they would break the rears loose. That isn't faster on the majority of corners in the world. It wasn't for show either.

A great driver, drift or race, uses more skill and technique to find that tiny space between over/understeer....balanced cornering! Its a much more difficult thing to accomplish.

In my opinion.
Quote from skstibi :When you can drift any car around any corner without spinning out or without any practice at that corner. Also you should be able to drift any car around any corner with ANY setup without using your emergency brake...

I dont agree
any car -> Impossible imo , because FWD cars cant really drift.
Without practice -> Every racedriver or drifter needs to practice and warm up before he can go at his maximum pace.
any setup -> ! Some tracks require setup A and other tracks require setup B. example: I use a very stiff (drift) setup for the XRT at BLGP and i cant use it in South City because i got no control at all, it´s just bumping and jumping around.
emergency brake -> thats the handbrake, right?! check youtube for some in-car videos of D1GP, they use handbrake quite often

just my 2 Cents
Quote from Becky Rose :Not bad, but your entry slide is too far. I got the right hander slightly too far

[standart ricer excuse]IT'S A DRAG SETUP[/standart ricer excuse]
but to be brutally on it - the only cars familiar to me here are LX and XRT, and I clipped both apexes in those...
FWD drifting was new to me, and I never realised how steep the corkscrew was...this whole thing wasnt too easy, especially the RAC...

Quote from Becky Rose :Of course, this is all codswollop because all we've proved is any idiot, include us two, can make the arse end of a car stick out.

Yup!
I also think that any idiot can go circuit racing, and do quite good (Formula 1 reglamented 107% of the leader's time is no problem for anybody I believe)

the thing is, to be on the level with the top racers, or top drifters takes skill, lots of training, and patience, and dare I say it (oooh, Ian gonna hate me) talent...

the challenge was fun, we should do it again sometime...maybe circuit racing next
cheers
Quote from mcintyrej :You know you're a good drifter, when you can stop bragging about how your a good drifter and use your newly learnt skills to effect in a controlled manner - to make you faster at racing.

Lol thats the best answer so far

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG