The online racing simulator

Poll : New Longer or Technical Track?

Technical Tracks, Yes?
Longer Tracks, Yes?
Longer Tracks, No?
Technical Tracks, No?
Quote from Jakg :I'm no expert, but i've driven every turn in LFS in every direction in most cars and i've still got a looooooooooooooooooooong way to go before i've "mastered" any of them.

Looking at the tracks in a league sense and you can think things different. Sure, at the moment, we have 800 some odd combos, but when you narrow that down to what track makes sense with what car for leagues, your options are limited. I sure wouldn't want to run in an XFG/RG league that was running oval, FE Black, Aston GP, and Kyoto GP Long, would you? That would be horrible.

We need more tracks to suit the car class breakdown that we have. Aston Cadet or FE Club would be terrible in a GTR or higher class league. As it is, not counting using normal and reverse configs, we have extremely limited choice of tracks to run in leagues on both extremes of the car classes. I think it would be great to have longer than an 8 event league season, but to get that now, you have to run both normal and reverse, as well as too many configurations of the same track, and that just gets boring after while since they are all the same corners, just in a different location of the lap.
id love to see some more corners where you can get a good run around the outside of the corner to get side by side and then be inside for the next corner, a good example, the Assen TT track, the fast left hander where you can get a run on the outside and then be on the inside for the next slow right hander going into the final chicane at the end of the lap

(see picture where iv boxed the corner in blue)
Attached images
Assen_Circuit_2006.jpg
What is a 'Technical' track, and how does it differ from a 'non-technical' track? Or is it just bollocks put out by F1 programmes and chaps like Mark Blundering 'ell?
Quote from tristancliffe :What is a 'Technical' track, and how does it differ from a 'non-technical' track? Or is it just bollocks put out by F1 programmes and chaps like Mark Blundering 'ell?

Well I thought i wouldn't have to explain what I mean by Technical, Hard tracks what need alot of knowledge and using your brain to get around. Basically ask yourself what does Technical Mean.
Quote from mcintyrej :How about something like this:

http://www.brentozar.com/archives/2004/06/19/gmtrack2.jpg

Maybe without the oval. It would look a bit like this:

*will get a pic in a minute*

Edit;

Excuse the rather crude drawing, its what you get when your knee-deep in coursework.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4224/crudeuu2.jpg

Looks similar enough to Kyoto National, which we already have. But then, it would be ok to have similar tracks as long as the are not identical corners as we have currently with Aston configurations.
Quote from sam93 :Well I thought i wouldn't have to explain what I mean by Technical, Hard tracks what need alot of knowledge and using your brain to get around. Basically ask yourself what does Technical Mean.

Is MonteCarlo a technical track? What about Monza? Both of those need a lot of knowledge to get around (using your brain).

Technical to me means either technical drawings or lots of technology. I think ALL tracks are 'technical'. Even ovals.

Okay, maybe not ovals.
#33 - Gunn
Quote from thisnameistaken :Honestly I don't. If I was racing around AS3, even against my 20 favourite LFS racers, I would still be bored shitless.

Sounds like you need some new favourite racers.
Quote from Gunn :Sounds like you need some new favourite racers.

The problem isn't the list of his favorite racers, it's the lack of being on anyone else's list of favorite racers :haha:
I want more Street circuits like South City.
Monaco or Long Beach in LFS would be nice.

Quote from HeerBommel :I want more Street circuits like South City.
Monaco or Long Beach in LFS would be nice.

Agree with you. I hope that new tracks in LFS will be pretty short, because it`s on the short tracks the good racing is. Short is meaning something like 30 sec to 1 min and 30 sec laps. If they add a new very long track people wouldn`t like it I belive, because there would be like driving alone on track since it`s big. Fe club is a great track on CTRA servers now days, and it shows that short tracks usually gives the best races, tho it can be frustrating with backmarkes, but thats a other topic

+1 for short tracks and city tracks.
Quote from The Very End :Agree with you. I hope that new tracks in LFS will be pretty short, because it`s on the short tracks the good racing is. Short is meaning something like 30 sec to 1 min and 30 sec laps. If they add a new very long track people wouldn`t like it I belive, because there would be like driving alone on track since it`s big. Fe club is a great track on CTRA servers now days, and it shows that short tracks usually gives the best races, tho it can be frustrating with backmarkes, but thats a other topic

+1 for short tracks and city tracks.

I kind of agree, but a short track that is difficult is not a good pickup track. Most people (even fast drivers) make mistakes if its to difficult. So short easy (or even long) gives close races.

I hope they will make some new long tracks and provide them with short configurations. Then we get both short and long tracks. I guess that will also save development time.

~b
Quote from bluejudas :I kind of agree, but a short track that is difficult is not a good pickup track. Most people (even fast drivers) make mistakes if its to difficult. So short easy (or even long) gives close races.

I hope they will make some new long tracks and provide them with short configurations. Then we get both short and long tracks. I guess that will also save development time.

~b

Hehe, yea I guess they will release the 1001 track, "1001 ways to drive it" :P Because it seems that the DEV`s are liking tracks with many configurations. That ain`t bad, it`s good, but I hope they are coming with a new track soon
I know peopel always argue that one hasn't driven all the combos, blah blah. It's a valid argument, no dount but my issue is the track quality.
Most tracks lack any real life reference as they seem something you'd find in NFS rather then a sim.
We need more technical tracks, more proper chicanes, decent dropoffs and climbs (the current ones are a mile long except for one on AS and the killer on SO town Rev.) and finally LESS OR NO 2 MILE STREIGHTS!
It's really sad to see every track we have using a very long streight followed by 1-2 corners then another streight.
Also, AS, KY, BL and WE need to be proportionally smaller (/1.5 at least, not to be confused with shorter). Quite often I feel like driving an RC car on a public road.
There's no point adding longer tracks in, because nobody drives the long tracks we already have. Look at Aston GP/GT and Fern Bay Black - there are no servers running them, simply because nobody seems to like them that much. The most common ones are tracks which have lap times around 1m 30s. Go much over 2 mins and people get bored.
Public servers won't run them because 5 laps isn't enough to learn all the corners and 10 laps makes the race too long. And league events already have access to the longer tracks.

Technically difficult tracks on the other hand, yes. I agree that some of the tracks need narrowing as well.
Quote from Dajmin :There's no point adding longer tracks in, because nobody drives the long tracks we already have. Look at Aston GP/GT and Fern Bay Black - there are no servers running them, simply because nobody seems to like them that much.

Well.. I have driven them in leagues...
If you make 1 long track you could probably have 2-5 small configurations. And the good part is that you can reuse what you have done on the long track. So it make sense to make 1 long track with configurations rather than making 2-5 small tracks where you have to graphically design everything for each track without reusing stuff...

Quote from The Very End :but I hope they are coming with a new track soon

ME TOO...
-
(bluejudas) DELETED by bluejudas
Quote from Dajmin :There's no point adding longer tracks in, because nobody drives the long tracks we already have. Look at Aston GP/GT and Fern Bay Black - there are no servers running them, simply because nobody seems to like them that much. The most common ones are tracks which have lap times around 1m 30s. Go much over 2 mins and people get bored.
Public servers won't run them because 5 laps isn't enough to learn all the corners and 10 laps makes the race too long. And league events already have access to the longer tracks.

Technically difficult tracks on the other hand, yes. I agree that some of the tracks need narrowing as well.

Good said

Currently I say that technical tracks, or tracks that is technical hard compare to other is So classic (rev too), and the aston configs that has the hard chicane. I love AS cadet and So classic, because they are short, but also great fun the whole track, it`s no borring spots where you just drive, like AS national in GTR! Oh my god I feel sorry for the ones that uses all their time in GTR cars on that track :/
I think one of the most technically demanding circuits (if I'm remembering right) is Aston North reversed.
It has the fantastic weight shift of the uphill corkscrew (crazy fun in a fast light car - I've flown many an LX off that hill) and not long after that is a fast section with a small left switch which you have to brake through for the right-hander after it. Right now I can't think of any parts of a track I like (and sometimes hate too) more than those

Of course I could be remembering it wrong - I've not even loaded LFS for a while now, let alone run that track.
#44 - Gunn
All existing tracks in LFS are technical. Especially when you strive to drive near world record pace.
I think 'technical' is put to the test if you have a track that is something like that of Fern Bay where you have very small straights, a tight track, bumps, rises, etc....

Personally I think the only technical tracks in LFS are Fern Bay and South City. I believe it was Fetzo that explained he still prefers the S1 tracks over the newer S2 tracks, and I agree with that... because I prefer technical tracks more than anything. Just because you drive on the limit (at the oval?) doesn't mean it is necessarily technical. I think what most of us are looking for is a track that is very enjoyable with regard to how active you are in the car while driving. And quite frankly, all the S2 tracks (KY, AS, WE) have NOT given me the best impression of a technical track. They are very wide/broad tracks, smooth, and have very little tight sections or fun chicane complexes. They are just one corner after the other, with a sense of 'break time' in between... leaving no rapid connection of technical driving at all (ok, there can be some exceptions with straightaways being a common piece of a track, however, it is too common and relaxed even when you try for a world record. There is just too much time to setup for corners on the S2 tracks (IMO, the S2 tracks are intended for the BF1, but they still need more slow sections)).

No wonder why so many people want a Nordschleife type track, or apline backroads course... it is because those tracks deliver the most excitement for a lot of drivers. It's obvious if you have a beatiful sports car and you see a nice open twisty country road... your reaction will be to enjoy that drive because it feels so untouched and you can thrash the car around however you feel like it. Now with respect to racing, a technical track would be very intense against other opponents, but that is not to say passing would be impossible, it would probably be very fun to maintain the limit on a track like I've described. So, the S2 tracks we have hardly give me any enjoyment in the racing, and there could really still be some improvements made to them in my opinion.

I feel that a technical track also involves very technical braking, cornering, and overall a very active and CONSTANT on the limit drive.

If I could, I would've voted for Longer Tracks also, but it was only a single choice. I don't care of the track is long or short, I just really would like it to have some very good sequence of corners and complexes that make it very technical. Even if we had a tarmac version of Fern Bay RallyX Green... I would deem that a very good technical track simply because it starts with a very tight entry into the very tight esses which have high bumpy curbs, leading to quite a bit of bumpy surfacing and a hop/jump which leads to an immediate right hand turn. In a sense that track already poses a significant technical challenge in only 30 some-odd seconds. If we had a track with a bunch more sections like that, I would be in heaven.
Technical tracks have also another very good racing aspect; they are close to impossible to drive consistantly without a lot of concentration and care.
AS north rev is a decent technical track in the right car (non downforce cars) and also very realistic in terms or RL reference. Same goes for SO. FE is as unrealistic of a track as it gets. It's technical, sure, but the feel is not track like as it really feels like something found in a game, not a sim.

Now RL references for technical tracks are tracks such as Imola, Laguna Seca, Monte Carlo, etc.
There's a reason why most of the exciting final races are held at those.
Maybe when scawen said that south City would get a upgrade, then he upgrades it to Monte Carlo

longer track, more technical => Nordschleife is a good idea, isn't it

Monte carlo too with some good rally cars

More seriously, S2 has to be finished first, then rally packs has to be done, and then we will be allowed to speculate on what we could get for after
#49 - Gunn
Quote from gohfeld23 :
Now RL references for technical tracks are tracks such as Imola, Laguna Seca, Monte Carlo, etc.
There's a reason why most of the exciting final races are held at those.

Watching a race at Monte Carlo with modern F1 cars is about as exciting as watching cheese melt.
Quote from Gunn :Watching a race at Monte Carlo with modern F1 cars is about as exciting as watching cheese melt.

No, watching the cheese is more exciting.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG