The online racing simulator
Race 07 MP Demo Relased
(117 posts, started )
It's an improvement on RACE, thats for sure.

Do I like it?, yeah, it's fun to play, has lots of different cars and tracks.

Is it realistic?, hmm, to a degree it is.

Will it ever replace LFS for me as my main sim?, no, of course not

Will I buy it?, yeah, definately, regardless of all the above, it's a nice diversion from LFS.
It's disapointing, that soo many people fall into the same trap year after year since F1C 2001... It's the same engine, it (un)feels the same way, no weight transfer feelable. It's a game I have to play, not a sim I have to drive. A wise man once said: ISI games are the noun, LFS is the verb... Once again: q.e.d.
Absolutely disgusted by this game, in only SOME areas.

First, I'll say what I like. I think the graphics and effects are fine, still looks ok, but obviously GTR-ish... I thought it was gonna look a weee bit better. I have everything maxed out, full res, etc... game isn't all that great, but still looks decent. Menus are fairly ok and easy to use, sounds are about 4/5 stars I'd say.

The bad things are the real spoilers for the game.... Multiplayer netcode and online gameplay IS SHIT. I still fully disagree with the whole 'session' system that ISI invented... yes it may be real, but 1 race will take forever. (Quick online racing - One of the beautiful things of LFS that no other game can compare to).

Racing online in the poor netcode is just atrocious. People banging into you, having no feedback through the wheel, and just jello bouncing off each other. It's terrible, and those are with GOOD pings.

Again, the session voting system is shit shit shit.

Chatting is a pain, there are limited multiplayer options and features. Server settings can ruin the gameplay a whole lot.

And the worst part about this entire game is that it is available via STEAM. I vowed to never touch Steam for a long while, until this game. Went ahead and reinstalled it all, and just played the game. Sure enough, I already see tons of keyboard drivers with the names "L337 Sauce" noobing it up on the track and "kansei-drifter" using a FWD Seat Leon car and trying to drift it.... asking this question: "you can't drift in this game???" Finally, there are hardly any track rules or flag rules, and people cut the track, as well as go backwards on the track and start wrecking. Terrible terrible terrible. I already know of one wrecker that joins the servers, his name is "clino". He keeps cycling through the servers back and forth and just wrecking races.

It's quite crap to be honest, and it can only get worse once more CS kiddies get their hands on it. To be honest, I don't think Simbin could give a flying fluck about their userbase, and know that marketing towards a huge community of L337 players will get them more money. A win win for them, but a big loss when this game is approached by a 'simulation community'.

The game is hardly a simulation, it is way too easy to drive... way too easy. It's just something else to play, and not a serious racing game at all.

So far I've hit the low 1:35's at Brands. Laptimes for real WTCC are 1:34's and 1:33... though my setup cannot get me anywhere near those times.
#54 - mr_x
Quote from bbman :Well, it was promised that it wouldn't be ISI, as the lizard engine has been said to cover physics too... It doesn't feel changed any bit, unfortunately... Another engine only for graphics afterall...

It was always said RACE07 will be the last one on the ISI engine and that the Lizard engine will be all new for (hopefully) their next game.

As I've said earlier in this thread, People get confused by it as the Lizard engine announced before RACE07 was, with just a few weeks between the announcements.
I can`t install this demo, Steam ****s up here and the only thing that is installed is a big .sid file in windows/temp/race07demo directory + a few small files.

Anyone know how to extract that .sid file?
Frank, seriously, its not really worth it. The only thing GOOD is the Music..
Quote from BlueFlame :...The only thing GOOD is the Music..

Which sounds actually like ripped from james bond themes....
Quote from tristancliffe :Silly Visor - but not in BMW (Do touring car drivers still wear open faced helmets? How stupid is that!), Crap handling - brakes far too easy, car behaves very odd trying to steer on the throttle, weird FFB (tried fiddling), cars too strong, Brands is utterly awful (nothing like reality), sound very weak and flat, graphics fake.

However, I did enjoy wrecking the AI and seeing how many wheels would fall off them.

Waste of time downloading (although I was loading our car at the time), waste of time playing. Not even worth downloading the full thing on Torrent. Rubbish.

i thought u were overreacting again...
after playing i have to agree with everything.
what makes it even worse is the fact that it uses steam...ffs.
Yup, i thought "Tristan hates it, it's probably pretty good then"

Unfortunately he's 100% correct on this one. Utter,utter garbage of the highest degree.
It's banished from my HD along with Steam(ing pile of shite). Never to return.
#60 - mr_x
Well, I will be buying RACE07 for 2 reasons, 1. I love the demo, 2. I'm not an LFS fanboy who thinks LFS is god almighty (which, it isn't)

Took alot of FFB tweaking but i finally got there in the end with something decent. Probably won't be any good to you lot, because i only like it strong enough so i can feel what the front wheels are doing, not 'yank-your-arms-off' strength that most of you have it at.

I think it feels good, fairly easy to drive, but hard to drive fast, like RACE. It's only when you get into a competitive field of drivers (in a community race) that you realise this is the case. Sounds are much improved, and it runs smoother than RACE did too.
Well I just downloaded the demo and competed in a race and won albeit out of a grid of 5 lol

Well it is a fun game to play for sure, and graphically it looks ok, I especially liked the rain. I might consider buying this game in the near future.

TBH I only use LFS for online play, GTR2, and soon RACE '07 will only be used for Hotlapping, which I prefer as it helps with racing lines BMW 320 @ Macau or Pau can't wait hehe.
I someopne gives me the instal setup i might plkay it my downlaod is at 120 bit per second my god thats painfully slow
Quote from Xaid0n :Well it is a fun game to play for sure, and graphically it looks ok, I especially liked the rain. I might consider buying this game in the near future.

Yeah, it's much better than Race grip-wise, but graphically, it's still poo... When will they actually take a look at things they're trying to recreate? An alpha-layer of drops on the windscreen (those floating upwards-dots were better/more visible in Race!) is NOT a recreation of a windshield in the rain! The vision gets blurred and distorted when it rains! That's why you turn the wipers on, something I don't need to to in both Race games... :slap:
Quote from bbman :Yeah, it's much better than Race grip-wise, but graphically, it's still poo... When will they actually take a look at things they're trying to recreate? An alpha-layer of drops on the windscreen (those floating upwards-dots were better/more visible in Race!) is NOT a recreation of a windshield in the rain! The vision gets blurred and distorted when it rains! That's why you turn the wipers on, something I don't need to to in both Race games... :slap:

I don't know, then the blur should be different on different places on your windshield as well. Is such a blur effect possible with current hardware? (direct-x?).
Quote from sam93 :it opens 5 connections and you get alot better download speeds

What if the website limits download speed on a per-IP basis? Then it wouldn't be much faster.
#66 - axus
Quote from wheel4hummer :What if the website limits download speed on a per-IP basis? Then it wouldn't be much faster.

What if wheel4hummer didn't have to be a smartass about everything?
#67 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :What if the website limits download speed on a per-IP basis? Then it wouldn't be much faster.

Wouldn't slow you down though, so it's win-draw
Quote from axus :What if wheel4hummer didn't have to be a smartass about everything?

The universe would cease to exist, because everyone would be happy, and instead of flaming each other, we made everyone elses life great, the ultimate utopia, and then all of a sudden, the universe collapses in some strange manner, due to an over-abundance of happy people.
#69 - axus
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The universe would cease to exist, because everyone would be happy, and instead of flaming each other, we made everyone elses life great, the ultimate utopia, and then all of a sudden, the universe collapses in some strange manner, due to an over-abundance of happy people.

You make wheel4hummer sound so terrible... oh wait.
Downloaded it and have to say I'm very disapointed, framerates seem to be more in line with GTR2 (ie a bit lower than rF) than the unplayable mess that the original RACE demo was. Graphically it's got potential but the problem for me is so little of the screen is actually the view ahead, be it through the cockpit position or silly helmet visor. I can't comment on the physics because there was no way of finding out what the car was doing, this steering has absolutley no feel to it, it judders around but it won't tell you what the hell is going on, it seems really easy until you just suddenly fall off, either through unexpected oversteer or wallowing understeer, feels very arcadey.
i just started it.. really low fps ( 12-15... ) tryed lowing the game specs and still barely hitting 20
#72 - mr_x
RACE07 demo is updated, now includes support for custom skins.
First time I tried it, I got that same old feeling I got with GTR2: massive understeer. Okay, I thought, I'll still give it a shot, let me see what I can do with the setup. Added a bit more oversteer bias and tried again. Still massive understeer. Okay, more oversteer bias. Again, still massive understeer until, whoops, suddenly I'm sideways and there's nothing I can do about it. Delete.

Good riddance, ISI engine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Force feedback is really nice, i wish LFS had same force feedback, like when car is standing and neutral, you can feel little shaking etc. Why LFS doesen't have that?
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :Force feedback is really nice, i wish LFS had same force feedback, like when car is standing and neutral, you can feel little shaking etc. Why LFS doesen't have that?

Hahahahahaha, you must be kidding... My wheel isnt shaking in my car, nor did I ever feel a wheel shaking in neutral in any car from twingo to Porsche I have driven... It's a shitty effect which is total unreal. I wonder why ISI (or any company, using ISI engine) isnt using the way to do FF, the realfeel plugin does it...

Race 07 MP Demo Relased
(117 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG