The online racing simulator
When marketing departments don't think things through:
Oh wow. How can nobody have noticed that! Reading it is one thing but talking about it in discussions of the name surely should have raised a few alarms!
Do the L.A.P.D get them half price?
Apparently they removed the "i.Beat" part from their website today.
#5 - wien
Bwahaha. I love when they screw up like that. Like when Honda was about to release the "Fitta" (now the Jazz) to the european market, not knowing "Fitta" basically means "the <swear-word-for-female-reproductive-organ>" in a few of the nordic languages.

It's quite amazing no one caught that one though.
There's an estate agent in York called "Blacks". Bit unnerving when you walk past a shop front and see a sign over the door saying:

Blacks
For Sale

Or, equally:

Blacks
Sold
Quote from thisnameistaken :There's an estate agent in York called "Blacks". Bit unnerving when you walk past a shop front and see a sign over the door saying:

Blacks
For Sale

Or, equally:

Blacks
Sold

There's a great song by the Welsh band McLusky called "Kkkitchens, What Were You Thinking?" which is about a kitchen accessories shop in Cardiff that was called, yes, KKKitchens. Apparently a true story.

ETA:

kkkitchens, what were you thinking?
your quality units never stood a chance
with a little forward planning and perspective
you'd have avoided this
but you're a spook, a legend,
an urban myth with a twist in the tail
a precautionary nod to the licensing trade
and children still whisper your name

kkkitchens what were you thinking
if racial tension is a benchmark
then how much for this sink in a riot?
i'll buy it with the water main,
but you're a mock, a molar
a molecular fault in a parallel world
a mysterious font by the end of the north road
just across from the spar

kkkitchens i know you're shutting
i think you gave us everything that we could ever ask
of a little racist shop
but kkkitchens what were you thinking?
what drugs were all your salesmen taking?
i tried to run but spent the weekend shaking
Yeah, there was a furniture store here called El Nigar. they finally changed their name to something else. Stupid STUPID choice for a name....
I work with expanded foam beads at work (EPP and EPE). We mold parts in a steam molding press. Our parent company in Japan have a new idea of taking a hollow injection molded piece, filling it with our foam beads, and steam molding them inside the injection molding.

What do they want to call it? Super Blow!

I asked my boss the most logical question, "When are we getting our first Super Blow Job?"

They have since changed the name.....
i don't think the names an issue its just people over thinking its name rather then the product itself because we all live in a society where racism isn't accepted ( because if the governing body of the country where its designed/made thought it was in any way offensive they wouldn't allow it to be sold )
I suspect it was an accident.

So they have the i.beat, and here's my interpretation of the design guy's conversation:

"So we have some nice colour schemes, but we need something darker for the emo's."
"They like black, right? Black's cool."
"Yeah, but the word 'black' is so boring. Add 50% more 'Street'"
"Blak?"
"Sucks, 10% more 'Techie'."
"Blax?"
"Not bad, but it's missing something. Gimme another 8% 'Script Kid'."
"Blaxx?"
"Sold."

I guess it was only when they started actually sending descriptions to people that it became apparent.

Subject: New i.beat player!
Message: I want the best Mp3 player in the world. I want a high quality music player that has plenty of bling. I want a device that has street cred built in. Where do I get it?
i.beat blaxx...hold on, wait.
Dude, we can't call it that.
What do you mean 'nobody will notice'?
I don't care what our marketing budget was, the law suits will cost more. Tell you what, we'll cover our losses by firing those design morons.
--- End ---

The moral of the story? Double check everything
Quote from mrodgers :What do they want to call it? Super Blow!

They'd certainly get sued by some Colombian corporation.
Quote from theirishnoob :i don't think the names an issue its just people over thinking its name rather then the product itself because we all live in a society where racism isn't accepted ( because if the governing body of the country where its designed/made thought it was in any way offensive they wouldn't allow it to be sold )

Wait, what?
The cynic in me thinks the whole thing was just a viral marketing effort.
#16 - JTbo
So, problem is that you get illusion of name saying I beat blacks? Must say that I wouldn't got it that way no how hard I would been trying, shows that you need to be english or at least good in that language to see it such way
Quote from JTbo :So, problem is that you get illusion of name saying I beat blacks? Must say that I wouldn't got it that way no how hard I would been trying, shows that you need to be english or at least good in that language to see it such way

Just say it aloud.

Its exactly the same.
#18 - JTbo
Quote from zeugnimod :

Just say it aloud.

Its exactly the same.

I can read, I can write, but I can't speak this language
Oh, you are excused then.

But let me tell you that it is hard NOT to get this association.
We've been discussing this on another forum.

Someone posted this, which is along similar lines....

*Really* should have put a bit more variety into the athletes....
Quote from Crashgate3 :*Really* should have put a bit more variety into the athletes....

But they're trying to make a point that they are fast...
#22 - JTbo
Quote from xaotik :But they're trying to make a point that they are fast...

ROFL, so true and inappropriate at same time
#23 - axus
A local battery company proudly proclaims that it's South Africa's "biggest and only" battery manufacturer. That's not really offensive in any way, so I'm not sure it's quite on topic but it is related in that it's stupid marketing.
Quote from xaotik :But they're trying to make a point that they are fast...

Yes, its clearly racist towards white people.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG