The online racing simulator
modding- yay or nay?
(84 posts, started )

Poll : would you like modding allowed offline at some point?

yay
nay
what LFS means
I used to be in the camp that wanted mods.

LFS Tweak and slickmod, ghostmod, etc are all very cool and build on one of the great strengths LFS has: its physics engine.

But LFS has an even greater strength and that is the community of racers that has grown over the last few years.

If it weren't for the restriction to only a "few" track layouts and vehicle characteristics, I wouldn't be able to have the kind of fantastic close racing I had yesterday on CTRA.

When I stop to think of it, LFS at heart is about intense online multiplayer racing, and for us to have that we need a large group of people who are all familiar with the same tracks and cars so that the real competition can be where it should be: driving and set making skills.

So I vote NAY!
Not because I don't like the idea of expansion and mods, but because I like the ideal LFS strives for even more.

Thanks again again to the devs for their vision, spirit and effort.
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 908&highlight=Modding

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 891&highlight=Modding

http://www.lfsforum.net/showth ... 899&highlight=Modding

http://www.lfsforum.net/search.php

yay for searching nay for pointless polls.

Oh and just to add, even if offline modding was allowed, how long before people using these offline mods got bored against playing the AI, and want to bring it online ....

i did search, tho my methods are different than yours. you use the search function of the forum, whereas i search by posting a poll on the topic i want to research, and waiting for other people to provide marginally relevant links for me. thanx for playing!

i will agree, in the grand-scheme-of-things sense where everything we do in our pointless little lives is pointless, this too is pointless. but on a more pertinent level, i disagree. this poll has plenty of point. it gives me and others with interest in the subject a place to discuss, the poll aspect makes it really easy to see just how divided people are on the subject, and it gives you a place to complain about polls like this. something for everyone!

personally i would not need mods online. i have plenty of fun just hot lapping, and prefer less traffic on my backroads anyway lol! but that hints at the only reason i could see for prohibiting offline mods, as some have suggested, having mods in the game would make it all the easier to hack it and get them online. only downside i see, tho it is potentially a big one.

so sorry sir, you have added a debatable point to this useless thread, and have continued its existence on the front page for a little while longer. but thanx for trying to invalidate everyone's input. kudos.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :
But LFS has an even greater strength and that is the community of racers that has grown over the last few years.

If it weren't for the restriction to only a "few" track layouts and vehicle characteristics, I wouldn't be able to have the kind of fantastic close racing I had yesterday on CTRA.

When I stop to think of it, LFS at heart is about intense online multiplayer racing, and for us to have that we need a large group of people who are all familiar with the same tracks and cars so that the real competition can be where it should be: driving and set making skills.

So I vote NAY!
Not because I don't like the idea of expansion and mods, but because I like the ideal LFS strives for even more.

hit the nail on the head imo.
LFS is still alpha and people want full blown mods ... :banghead:
well its definate yay for me... no body here can possably say they dont like working on cars or just making them go faster and look better... before you say it no i not a ricer just a person who feels that people who diss modding ( no not working on civics or muscle cars ) are fools cause i cant stress how great it is tuning and tweaking cars is
Quote from Clownpaint :One word. Steam.

That system works beautifully with mods. They download seemlessly as you join servers.

It's still a PITA if you want a quick game of Counter-Strike and every server is running a custom map - five minutes of download trickle to sit through before you can join.
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :hit the nail on the head imo.
LFS is still alpha and people want full blown mods ... :banghead:

dude i'm suggesting this down the line when the game is finished, or at least holds the "release" title. and i'm suggesting offline mods, for the exact reasons described by the person you agree with (and described by myself in the OP). aside from the security issues of keeping offline mods offline, i can see no down side. if i want to model the backroads i drive on, so i can bomb them without worry of bikers or traffic or throwing myself off a cliff.

don't get me wrong i thoroughly enjoy the game as is, and will likely do so for quite a while, but when the game's wrapped up i would be thrilled if i could add elements to my offline experience.
Quote from braincore02 :
so sorry sir, you have added a debatable point to this useless thread, and have continued its existence on the front page for a little while longer. but thanx for trying to invalidate everyone's input. kudos.

i provided a bit more insight in to this topic by providing the links and you take it as a personal attack
i dont see much point in discussing a yes or no, or in this case a yay or a nay.

Im sorry if you got the wrong impression. the above posts by numerous people, have been spoken in not exactly the same wording, but with the same message being conveyed ... again & again. there is no point discussing it unless its possible

Then if devs say "yes" then we should discuss , how to intergrate , how will LFSworld work with it, . how can you be sure that a mod will be updated as often as LFS can be at times of developement. etc etc.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :I used to be in the camp that wanted mods.

LFS Tweak and slickmod, ghostmod, etc are all very cool and build on one of the great strengths LFS has: its physics engine.

So I vote NAY!

I agree.

We don't have and need many cars/tracks. period.

It's just the fantastic full server racing that is fun. I don't want to find out that with mods there are 5 people here, 8 people there, and some passworded servers.. =/
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :i provided a bit more insight in to this topic by providing the links and you take it as a personal attack
i dont see much point in discussing a yes or no, or in this case a yay or a nay.

Im sorry if you got the wrong impression. the above posts by numerous people, have been spoken in not exactly the same wording, but with the same message being conveyed ... again & again. there is no point discussing it unless its possible

lol i didn't take the links as a personal attack, i took you calling my thread pointless as a personal attack. i gave you a jab for the links cause i thought what i said was funny, so i said it. i certainly don't have my panties in a bunch over it.

to me there is a point to this poll, cause i was curious how the user base felt on this, in a statistical kinda way. sure i can get lots of personal opinions by scouring the past threads, but i can't think of an easier way to see the general division on this subject than a poll. pointless or not, u keep coming back lol admit it, you're entertained.
Quote from BlueFlame :Modding brings more Depth and Playability, especially as the game gets a bit old. New cars, and Mod projects, bring the community together, Fan Boys and Coders alike

I disagree, it brings together a community of modders and mod fans, but it alienates and frustrates players who just want to have close races and who don't care if the cars and tracks they are driving are real or not.
Quote from braincore02 :
don't get me wrong i thoroughly enjoy the game as is, and will likely do so for quite a while, but when the game's wrapped up i would be thrilled if i could add elements to my offline experience.

LFS load it up and see what it says on main menu screen
Then goto the main page www.liveforspeed.net just under where it says LFS .... there is your awnser.
Is it just me? Or is there any point to offline mods ? id like scawen to mod the AI but thats about it. Yeah i wish i could model my home town/cityand drive round it ....by myself ....
LFS is about the racing online. I'd be lucky if i have 1% of the amount of distance i have done online, offline.
*edit*

I didnt post this to get entertained. Im sick of pointless poll/thread however you want to put it braincore02, (and it is pointless) and this topic you want to discuss ... is just another one of the countless lazy threads that will go nowhere but circles , why ... because its been argued to death .. hence forth it is pointless.. some what similar to me addding this edit
TLDR the whole thread, but my opinion is that online modding shouldn't be allowed in the form that the majority imagines. I'd prefer a monthly contest for best car and a 6month contest for best track and only the best one will get into the game online (after being thoroughly tested by responsible people).
As for the offline mods, my vote is a BIG YES as nobody cares what I do in my privacy...and if you do, you are a voyeuristic pervert and should be ashamed of yourself :dunce:
Quote from mcintyrej :Perfect example of a modding community.

Rfactor is a bit messy to be honest.

+1 for a Steam-Like mod system.

thats victors avatar
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :LFS load it up and see what it says on main menu screen
Then goto the main page www.liveforspeed.net just under where it says LFS .... there is your awnser.
Is it just me? Or is there any point to offline mods ? id like scawen to mod the AI but thats about it. Yeah i wish i could model my home town/cityand drive round it ....by myself ....
LFS is about the racing online. I'd be lucky if i have 1% of the amount of distance i have done online, offline.
*edit*

I didnt post this to get entertained. Im sick of pointless poll/thread however you want to put it braincore02, (and it is pointless) and this topic you want to discuss ... is just another one of the countless lazy threads that will go nowhere but circles , why ... because its been argued to death .. hence forth it is pointless.. some what similar to me addding this edit

uh yeah so obviously your style of play is the one used by everyone. i guess i spend a lot more time offline than you, just practicing without the threat of accidentally crashing into someone and pissing them off. having spent countless hours in rally games, i just don't mind driving alone. just get out there and enjoy the physics engine. the backroads i want to model are some of the bumpiest POS roads ever, which would highlight my favorite aspect of the physics engine- how the car behaves when it's jittering over bumps.

as for you being sick of these pointless threads, all i can offer you is a virtual tissue. oh boohoo.
I absolutely agree with you braincore02. And I'd also like to react to Gener_AL (UK)'s post. You said that all you want is improved AI. WTF for? You race online anyway. And if (when) the AI is actually improved, even more people will race/practice offline, thus even more people will desire mods to be available for them offline.
#41 - Woz
No from me as no enough options in the poll.

If modding means rTractor free for all chaos and poor quality mods that feel nothing like a car should the NO. Big big NO.

If modding means mods that are controlled and liked to LFS world then yes. This would mean NO real world content though.
Quote from mcintyrej :Perfect example of a modding community.

Rfactor is a bit messy to be honest.

+1 for a Steam-Like mod system.

I don't think a Steam auto-downloading system would work with ANY racing sim, due to mostly large car and track files bigger than 20 mb. Who wants to spend 8 hours trying to join a server because you have to download a 150 mb mod? The auto-download system is more effiecent for things like CSS or Garry's Mod Lua and map files, as they are so much smaller, but they still take a bit to download from the server you are trying to join.
Yay from me, I would welcome the mod`ing with open arms.
I know all the downsides and things that can be bad, but still, it`s positive from me.
I'll put it another way.

Imagine LFS is a woman ... you fall in love .. and you learn everything that makes her ticktock.
Then after many years of happyness, a weary sense of "ive done this before" starts to set in and everything seems no different then it did the year before.
Time passes by and your getting old , you're still in love but your eyes wander. Your love of the life notices, she thinks (even though she shouldn,t) "maybe i should have surgery".
Then you remember why you fell in love ... and say "I love you just the way you are"

Now do you see my viewpoint a little more.... btw im haveing dejavu whilst typing this story of my life...
if we did have it only offline, its just a matter of time before someone releases a hack that gets in in-game, just look now, we dont have modding and it was hacked in s1
Quote from h3adbang3r :I don't think a Steam auto-downloading system would work with ANY racing sim, due to mostly large car and track files bigger than 20 mb. Who wants to spend 8 hours trying to join a server because you have to download a 150 mb mod? The auto-download system is more effiecent for things like CSS or Garry's Mod Lua and map files, as they are so much smaller, but they still take a bit to download from the server you are trying to join.

Who said 8 hours?

A map file is typically around.....Lets say..A Quarter of the size of a racetrack, right? A minute or two to download a map, 5 minutes or 10 for a track? I think i'd happily wait.
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I'll put it another way.

Imagine LFS is a woman ... you fall in love .. and you learn everything that makes her ticktock.
Then after many years of happyness, a weary sense of "ive done this before" starts to set in and everything seems no different then it did the year before.
Time passes by and your getting old , you're still in love but your eyes wander. Your love of the life notices, she thinks (even though she shouldn,t) "maybe i should have surgery".
Then you remember why you fell in love ... and say "I love you just the way you are"

Now do you see my viewpoint a little more.... btw im haveing dejavu whilst typing this story of my life...

interesting analogy. my reason for wanting mods is not at all because i feel the content is lacking, or is getting old. i'm a new user anyway, so i see at least a good 6 months before the content starts to get old. it is because i like the physics engine and controller options so much that i would rather add the content i want to lfs more than any other game. i could theoretically mod my backroads into gtr2, but then i'll be stuck racing race cars on it, when all i want is a modest sports car. and i'm under the impression that in gtr2 there are no cars with more than 250degrees of steering motion, and from what i've experienced it is not mandatory to use the clutch to shift. hence i would rather mod lfs, and hope one day it becomes a possibility. until then, or if it never happens i will certainly enjoy what's there. tho i would enjoy it more if my wheel hadn't broken last night

i'm surprised at so many people's "less is more" attitude towards offline modding, but can understand those who fear it would spread online. i'm no expert, but i fear it would be impossible to keep hackers from spreading offline content to on. can't think of any other downside.
Quote from breadfan :I absolutely agree with you braincore02. And I'd also like to react to Gener_AL (UK)'s post. You said that all you want is improved AI. WTF for? You race online anyway. And if (when) the AI is actually improved, even more people will race/practice offline, thus even more people will desire mods to be available for them offline.

+1 Braincore
-1 General

Options like this while keeping things fair online is a win win.

With a central standardized delivery system ( similar to valve's) to ensure consistency and prevent cheating online, mods can be very very helpful without any of the maintenance issues.
I don't see a big problem with mods at all. even multi-player and "bad" mods. I think we could take advantage of private servers - sort of.
A guy makes some sort of mod, sets up a server to run that mod and post the mod here (preferably) or somewhere for those interested so they can instantly go to that server and race. But it should be a limited mod as well. Like nothing that would totally or permanently change the original physics of the game. And seeing that the UF-1 uses the same physics as the BF-1 and that fern bay has the same physics as the drag strip, I don't see why some one couldn't make a quality mod while staying with those parameters.

The only other racing game I play is NASCAR 2003. It has all sorts of mods for it and would have more if wasn't for those.....
I don't have anything to do with whatever communities they have, but I do know that most are mod specific. Our little community here is alot different from theirs as we can just jump into any old server
and pretty much race or cruise or drift or whatever and I think we can capitalize on our structure with mods so long as everyone stays within certain guidelines. And there really wouldn't need to be any sort of "approval system" either. the players should be able to decide whether the mod is any good or not for themselves.

But I really don't know a thing about modding. So I could be completely off base
Quote from mcintyrej :Who said 8 hours?

A map file is typically around.....Lets say..A Quarter of the size of a racetrack, right? A minute or two to download a map, 5 minutes or 10 for a track? I think i'd happily wait.

Would be great
Downloading Track..
And then it loads up something you never seen before, that would seriously been fun.

modding- yay or nay?
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG