Quote :how is that even music ?

I guess you could argue it's not (music) , but that's really just the smallest sample of that guys musical output- Glenn Branca is incredibly multi-faceted and <gasp> talented as a musician/composer. His later stuff employs a traditional conventional orchestra, but he's also scored for multiple electric guitars (sometimes in very unconventional tunings) as well. He's done movies (Belly of an Architect) and written for ballets. Basically he started out in a punk band and took it from there- this guy is on the extreme edge of music today. I can't get enough.

If you see a CD of his around called 'Lesson No.1' - give it a shot. Probably a good starting place for Branca. Or maybe 'The Ascension'. 'The World Upside Down' is also a masterpiece in modern classical composition. It's like something from another planet- totally dripping gorgeous.

The other bands operating around that time are also very different in their own unique ways. Some were quite disco/funk oriented (ESG, Konk, Liquid Liquid) while others were more punkish or even noisier and ruder (the no-wave bands)! When I think of 'indie' music, I think of these kinds of bands.

Here's a pretty decent list of some of them, though of course it's not exhaustive.

BTW, DWB- I've started listening to your mix. I really liked the first song I heard, by LCD Soundsystem? I'll check them out some more. Thanks again.

Quote :For some reason I've never been into any bands from home (Australia).

You never liked Midnight Oil, or INXS, or perhaps Painters and Dockers or Celibate Rifles? I really like all those bands, I'd probably only say I've grown out of liking INXS (they're fine when you're 15). The others are still great IMO. Augie March is cool too.
Quote from Electrik Kar :BTW, DWB- I've started listening to your mix. I really liked the first song I heard, by LCD Soundsystem? I'll check them out some more. Thanks again.

Awesome. Glad you're liking it.

LCD Soundsystem have two proper albums (LCD Soundsystem and Sound of Silver) and a 12" (Yeah), as well as a mix they did for Nike that's intended to perfectly match the cadence and length of the average running session (physically running, that is).

If you like them you'll probably also like the Junior Boys song/remix on the #1 mix. One of the best albums of last year, IMO (So This is Goodbye).
Quote from Electrik Kar :
You never liked Midnight Oil, or INXS, or perhaps Painters and Dockers or Celibate Rifles? I really like all those bands, I'd probably only say I've grown out of liking INXS (they're fine when you're 15). The others are still great IMO. Augie March is cool too.

Never liked the Painters but Hunters & Collectors were damn good value. I grew out of INXS (1987's Kick was their last good record), hate the Celibate Rifles (like I said, lazy ) but go the Oils! Gotta love a band that always stayed true - except Peter Garrett's joined the ****ing Labour party now! I know it's better than joining the Bush-happy Liberals but come on, he should be in the Greens instead of being part of the two-party problem.

FYI, click the second head in my sig to see what kind of stuff my own band's doing ...

[/OT]
There have been quite a few good Australian bands in the last few decades. For example:

Nick Cave (& the Bad Seeds)
Dead Can Dance
The Go-Betweens
The Moles
Dirty Three (a personal favorite)
Radio Birdman
Architecture in Helsinki
The Lucksmiths
Cut Copy

Some good NZ acts too:

The Clean
The Bats
Birchville Cat Motel/The Dead C
etc.
Quote :Peter Garrett's joined the ****ing Labour party now! I know it's better than joining the Bush-happy Liberals but come on, he should be in the Greens instead of being part of the two-party problem.

I know, it doesn't seem right. But I'm still happy to see him back in politics. And atleast he's got a clue and is passionate. Some of those politicians wouldn't know the environment if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.

Quote :FYI, click the second head in my sig to see what kind of stuff my own band's doing ...

I've clicked those buttons a few times in the past. You've got a fine singing voice, Mr Hank

Quote : There have been quite a few good Australian bands in the last few decades. For example:

Radio Birdman is another one of my old-time favs. I used to be in a band that did Birdman covers (me on the keyboards) - they are fun songs to play.

I know one of the guys from Architecture in Helsinki. He does Chinese medicine, and used to give my friends free acupuncture treatments. I decided not to go for that... ouch! He's a nice guy.

Thinking of other stuff, if you're into electronic music, I recommend this guy, Steve Law (Zen Paradox). He's always been around the Melbourne electronic scene, playing at places like Teriyakianarkisaki (a great old techno club) and everywhere else. Some of his live shows were just phenomenal, he is really up there with the best of them.

Also, a guy who calls himself Qua is interesting, and I think you'd enjoy his music. Another Melbourne fella.
Rock and roll achieved perfection approximately in 1975, so why bother.
Quote from deggis :Rock and roll achieved perfection approximately in 1975, so why bother.

I think you'll find punk didn't arrive until 1976. Almost as a direct reaction to the so-called "perfection" of rock music.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think you'll find punk didn't arrive until 1976. Almost as a direct reaction to the so-called "perfection" of rock music.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :There have been quite a few good Australian bands in the last few decades....

I'm aware of all of them too, Nick Cave's been a favourite for a while. My point was that most of them - especially current *hit-factories like (ugh) Jet and Wolfmother - don't inspire me much at all In my whole collection I could probably count on one hand the Aussie albums I own. I guess I've always prefer the imported varieties Australian films, though...different story entirely.

As for Kiwi bands, the best ever imho are Split Enz (utter legends) and Mi-Sex (for that one song "Computer Games") :up:
Quote :Mi-Sex (for that one song "Computer Games") :thumbsup3

YeeaaahhH!
Quote from Hankstar :I'm aware of all of them too, Nick Cave's been a favourite for a while. My point was that most of them - especially current *hit-factories like (ugh) Jet and Wolfmother - don't inspire me much at all In my whole collection I could probably count on one hand the Aussie albums I own. I guess I've always prefer the imported varieties Australian films, though...different story entirely.

Well, yeah, but I don't think the US or UK-based "hit-factories" are really any better these days. You've got Wolfmother, we've got The Killers. Same difference, to me.
btw, if anyone feels like indulging in a little experiment... I'm running a shoutcast server from my PC at the moment (so I can stream music to my laptop upstairs in my bedroom ). It's got a cap of 10 users and I don't know how well it'll stand up to multiple connections, but you can give it a shot if you want.

It's playing a variety of stuff at random, almost all of it from my 2007 folder. Got some straight up indie stuff, some hiphop, some electronic, even some Thai pop(!).

http://24.98.119.28:8000/listen.pls in Winamp/VLC.
I don't like Indie music. Why? because of the title. includes what should be classified as various other genre instead of being all lumped together. It's a very misleading term. I mean honestly what does the Late DJ Screw have in common with Nick Cave? what does alternative country have in common with Eurotrash disco? Yet they are all "indie".
So no, I don't like Indie. I mean so what if they make their own lables or sign on with small companies. The music styles are radically different from each other.

And what's so bad about Dream Theater? except that they were a little behind in the times. The came about when people started putting away the leather/spandex and started wrapping flannel shirts around their waist. I think that was their real problem. They should've came out at the same time as Zebra or Vandenburg.
Quote from Racer Y :I don't like Indie music. Why? because of the title. includes what should be classified as various other genre instead of being all lumped together. It's a very misleading term. I mean honestly what does the Late DJ Screw have in common with Nick Cave? what does alternative country have in common with Eurotrash disco? Yet they are all "indie".
So no, I don't like Indie. I mean so what if they make their own lables or sign on with small companies. The music styles are radically different from each other.

And what's so bad about Dream Theater? except that they were a little behind in the times. The came about when people started putting away the leather/spandex and started wrapping flannel shirts around their waist. I think that was their real problem. They should've came out at the same time as Zebra or Vandenburg.

Indie is short for independent. Therefore indie rock, is independent rock. All it means is that the bands are unsigned...nothing to do with the genre unless you say "indie rock, indie punk etc." There is no such thing as just "Indie music" unless you are referring to ANY genre of music whose band/group is independent of a record label.
Racer Y: I did like Dream Theater for a long time. I love exceptional musicians (Petrucci, Myung, Portnoy - all absolute genius players) and watching live vids of these guys play was just awesome. However, I couldn't stand the singer or the lyrics and the one thing that really bothered me (after a while) was that most the playing, while technically mind-blowing, was actually quite tasteless. Typical 90s prog-rock basically. I still think Led Zeppelin would've blown those suckers off the stage I think you're right though - the mid-90s was probably a bit late for DT to be hitting their stride. If they'd played five or ten years earlier they would have been hailed as prog gods and not been the last gasp of the 90s guitar-hero band.

DWB: Any hit factory pisses me off, really. Not because they're popular but because most of them are unoriginal to the extreme and simply cash-cows for record companies (however, I do find The Killers to be a little different to your average pop-rock band even if I don't like them that much). Wolfmother and Jet are prime examples of creative bankruptcy - I don't mind recycling your garbage but you really don't have to do it with music. All you end up with, ironically, is garbage.

EK: you should hear my band cover "Computer Games" - I'll send you an mp3 if you like
Quote from Hankstar :However, I couldn't stand the singer or the lyrics and the one thing that really bothered me (after a while) was that most the playing, while technically mind-blowing, was actually quite tasteless. Typical 90s prog-rock basically.

You really hit the nail on the head there. Guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani as well. They're brilliant musicians but terrible songwriters.

Shoutcast station is back up, btw, in case anyone was trying to get at it. Power went out for a long while. :[
Quote from ans7812 :Indie is short for independent. Therefore indie rock, is independent rock. All it means is that the bands are unsigned...nothing to do with the genre unless you say "indie rock, indie punk etc." There is no such thing as just "Indie music" unless you are referring to ANY genre of music whose band/group is independent of a record label.

There actually is a specific sound that's routinely categorized as indie rock, though, nebulous as it may be at times. It's sort of an umbrella term, but the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock) and AMG (http://wc01.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2687) pages do a pretty decent job of explaining it.
#47 - DeKo
Im going to see babyshambles in december, and all i listen to is arctic monkeys/view/fratellis/libertines/babyshambles/dirty pretty things/
Quote from DeadWolfBones :You really hit the nail on the head there. Guys like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani as well. They're brilliant musicians but terrible songwriters.

Very true, but Vai's Passion & Warfare and Satch's Surfing With The Alien are truly classic, genre-defining records and still get a turn on my stereo now and then Greg Howe was another guitar hero I really dug back then and I rate his Introspection album alongside the previous two. Not all guitar-wankers are created equal and those three records are must-haves if you can be arsed researching 90's guitar-prog - basically, just listen to those and rest assured that everything else sucked I saw Vai live in Adelaide in about 1998 and it really was mind-blowing (unlike the opening act, Stolen Waters, who blew and sucked simultaneously). Even if Vai's writing sucks, his playing is from another planet. I sort of understood how people would have felt in '66 when seeing Hendrix for the first time (only sort of, because obviously there would be no Steve Vais or Satrianis or Van Halens without Jimi). After the gig my best mate, a freakishly good guitarist himself, tried Vai's famous "ten-hour guitar workout" one day and had to stop with cramps after about 3 hours

Another mate recently saw the new G3 group which is basically Vai, Satriani and Petrucci from Dream Theater trying to out-solo each other for three hours. He said the older two guys bored him silly and Petrucci, of all people, was the stand out! The most tasteful player of the bunch, he said! I guess being free of Dream Theater matured him a bit
Quote from DeadWolfBones :There actually is a specific sound that's routinely categorized as indie rock, though, nebulous as it may be at times. It's sort of an umbrella term, but the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_rock) and AMG (http://wc01.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2687) pages do a pretty decent job of explaining it.

I realize that indie rock does have a particular sound associated with it, but it generally refers to the fact that the group remains unsigned. Read the first sentence in the first article you sited.

Edit: I think the certain sound you are referring to lends itself solely to indie music because of the fact that the groups are independent.....if that makes any sense. They've got that grunge, garage band, undergound feel.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG