The online racing simulator
Any indie rock/hipster/scenester douchebags here?
Title dripping with irony, obviously.

My other forum of choice is a bit of a snarky indie-centric music board, and I'm wondering if any of you guys are cut from that cloth as well.

Anyone here not really into Muse and/or Rammstein?

Me! I like Bruce Springsteen

edit: Snow Patrol ftw!
Big Snow Patrol and Keane fan here . My taste in music is quite varied though, I'm into Linkin Park, Rammstein, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, Zero 7 and a bit of Metallica . I generally like either hard rock, rock, Jazz, Dance and Indie. I've grown quite a liking to indie though
I tend to like any music really tbh, including muse. The only genres of music i cannot stand are jazz and classical, but anything else that has a beat i tend to enjoy it.

Mainly Kasabian and some Maroon 5 atm though.
#5 - Ian.H
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Title dripping with irony, obviously.

My other forum of choice is a bit of a snarky indie-centric music board, and I'm wondering if any of you guys are cut from that cloth as well.

Most _DEFINITELY NOT_ into anything of the sort. Fake wanabee rock bands? give me a break!

I do like many other genres though, ones where people can actually play instruments and can sing in tune.. not tone deaf fools like most indie bands seem to be who "sing" (I use that term _very_ loosely) about as far off-key as I do in the shower.

Regards,

Ian
I used to be a baggy indie kid back when we had baggy indie music and... when I was a kid.

Currently WinAmp's giving me Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick! I've been meaning to use that for an LFS movie actually...
Quote from Ian.H :Most _DEFINITELY NOT_ into anything of the sort. Fake wanabee rock bands? give me a break!

I do like many other genres though, ones where people can actually play instruments and can sing in tune.. not tone deaf fools like most indie bands seem to be who "sing" (I use that term _very_ loosely) about as far off-key as I do in the shower.

Regards,

Ian

Knew I could count on you to pick a fight.

ETA: You a big Rush/Dream Theater/Pink Floyd fan? ;]

Quote from thisnameistaken :I used to be a baggy indie kid back when we had baggy indie music and... when I was a kid.

Currently WinAmp's giving me Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick! I've been meaning to use that for an LFS movie actually...

I hear you on the Mudhoney.
#8 - Ian.H
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Knew I could count on you to pick a fight.

ETA: You a big Rush/Dream Theater/Pink Floyd fan? ;]

You asked specifically who isn't a fan.. I'm not

Floyd's ok.. never heard of the other 2.. but I'll listen to most things from Jazz / Blues to 80s / 90s happy hardcore.. but off-key "music" really doesn't do it for me.. be it an indie band or whoever else... it's like rap, people talking fast, no actual musical talent.. indie music isn't just talking fast, granted.. but the same "musical talent" exists.

Regards,

Ian
Whoever had to be talented in order to play the Blues?
Erm, EK, do you really mean that?

Given that Blues- and Jazzbands got together and improvised Jam-Sessions when they never even met one another before shows quite a bit of talent, doesn't it? I believe they're doing it still today, I don't know...
Well, anyone can learn 3 chord Blues and call themselves a blues artist. It's probably the simplest modern musical formula around today. As a style, it can be beautiful- but I wouldn't put most of the Blues I hear on a higher level than most of the Indie stuff I hear. Most Indie music is blues derived, anyhow.

I really just wanted to make the (erm, roundabout) point that talent shouldn't be something that's attached to a genre. There are some very talented Blues artists, and Rap artists, etc...
Back on topic, I hadn't heard of these bands before, but I you-tubed Rammstein, and they remind me a lot of Laibach. Who doesn't remember this?

My tastes gravitate more towards late 70s/early 80s New York experimental rock. (I'm sure Ian would hate it! ) There aren't too many new bands around that I could say I find all that exhilarating, I'm a little bit cynical of the 'indie' scene really (maybe because I don't know anything about it). But there is always hope I guess.

I will conduct further investigations...
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Title dripping with irony, obviously.

An indie person being ironic! Way to perpetuate the stereotype.
Quote from Recury :An indie person being ironic! Way to perpetuate the stereotype.

Ah, but irony is so useful.

And EK is absolutely right. You can't attach incompetence/lack of talent to any one genre. There are gems and turds everywhere.
Ohhh, I was a big indie kid back in the day.

Jesus jones, Neds atomic dustbin, Carter USM, Chapterhouse, the Farm, Happy mondays, the Charlatans, nows that what I call proper music.

Indie today isn't really indie at all, the whole phrase has been watered down and doesn't really mean what it used to (independant)
Quote from Electrik Kar :Back on topic, I hadn't heard of these bands before, but I you-tubed Rammstein, and they remind me a lot of Laibach. Who doesn't remember this?

My tastes gravitate more towards late 70s/early 80s New York experimental rock. (I'm sure Ian would hate it! ) There aren't too many new bands around that I could say I find all that exhilarating, I'm a little bit cynical of the 'indie' scene really (maybe because I don't know anything about it). But there is always hope I guess.

I will conduct further investigations...

Well, here... if you feel like listening to some new stuff...

http://www.mediafire.com/?4gzki2zeyyp
http://www.mediafire.com/?4tb0glezm1d
http://www.mediafire.com/?9byg1jxgzmn

Three mixes I made for a friend who hadn't heard any new stuff over the past couple years. All of the songs are from the past 2-3 years, mostly from the past year. These are sort of all over the place, but...

#1: Mostly sort of danceable sort of Euro sort of electronic stuff. (Bands include: Junior Boys, Bjork, !!!, Pantha du Prince, Booka Shade, Hot Chip.)

#2: Mostly undanceable indie electronic stuff and ambient/neo-classical instrumental, but toward the end it gets loud. (Bands include: LCD Soundsystem, Eluvium, Helios, The Besnard Lakes, The Twilight Sad.)

#3: Mostly straight up indie rock. (Bands include: Andrew Bird, Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, John Vanderslice, Irene, Lucksmiths.)

Hopefully someone will get some enjoyment out of it. ;]

ETA: This was sort of a rushjob and the sequencing isn't as smooth as I'd like or as I'd normally make it. Sorry!
Cheers!
Quote from danowat :Ohhh, I was a big indie kid back in the day.

Jesus jones, Neds atomic dustbin, Carter USM, Chapterhouse, the Farm, Happy mondays, the Charlatans, nows that what I call proper music.

Indie today isn't really indie at all, the whole phrase has been watered down and doesn't really mean what it used to (independant)

I'd say that probably just means you haven't been as close to the scene, which means you get what filters up to the mainstream. There's still a metric crapton of indie stuff out there, you just have to dig for it.

Chapterhouse are awesome, btw. A friend of mine who's about 10 years older than I am (I'm 26) made me a 2cd mix of shoegaze stuff and... man. It's a shame I wasn't old enough to appreciate it back then.
I remember all that "shoe gaze" stuff, it was right in my era, even though we never called it "shoe gaze" back then, it was just indie.

But it really takes me back, student nights at the local nightclub, Ride, Slowdive, Lush, Chatherine wheel, man I feel old now...........
Quote from danowat :I remember all that "shoe gaze" stuff, it was right in my era, even though we never called it "shoe gaze" back then, it was just indie.

Oh we called the people who listened to Ride/Slowdive etc. "Shoegazers" - it was more of a derogatory term though.

Edit: Probably because those bands were all from London, and we thought we had better bands in the north (because we did ). Although My Bloody Valentine were excused because they were totally awesome.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Well, here... if you feel like listening to some new stuff...

#2: Mostly undanceable indie electronic stuff and ambient/neo-classical instrumental, but toward the end it gets loud. (Bands include: LCD Soundsystem, Eluvium, Helios, The Besnard Lakes, The Twilight Sad.)

I do love Twilight Sad even though they have an awful name, the guy's accent and singing voice are great. Eluvium too, although he isn't much less cheesy than Muse at times. Oh, and Muse, I like them too.
Catherine Wheel - "Black Metallic" was probably my favorite song on that mix, though Slowdive have to be my fave shoegazer band.

Souvlaki is just too perfect, and Pygmalion, while not really shoegaze at all, is also great.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Back on topic, I hadn't heard of these bands before, but I you-tubed Rammstein, and they remind me a lot of Laibach. Who doesn't remember this?

they are pretty much laibach without the political bit which means theyve got nothing worth calling music without any edge ... about as bland as it gets

hm is live non mainstream enough ? ive been listening to them a bit lately ... not sure if anyone who isnt dutch will know them at all

Quote from Electrik Kar :My tastes gravitate more towards late 70s/early 80s New York experimental rock.

how is that even music ? that sounds like pink noise ... actually brown noise in the southpark sense
Never really into indie myself. Got into Dire Straits and Pink Floyd in primary school (thanks big brother) and still love 'em.

At high school (90s) my mates and I were all stoner/metal/guitar lords: long-hair, black t-shirts, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Metallica, Black Crowes, Soundgarden, GN'R, Faith No More, Mr Bungle, Corrosion Of Conformity, Steve Vai, Van Halen and a dash of Nirvana while the school split into two main groups: homeys with huge pants and grungey alterno kids (Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Breeders, Mudhoney etc). No goths though - it was a country school and they wouldn't have lasted five minutes I would've listened to more Megadeth but Mustaine's voice and guitar solos annoyed me (I've always wondered what Metallica would've sounded like if Marty Freidman swapped spots with Kirk Hammett ).

These days I'll listen to anything if it's played/written honestly (i.e. no commercial shit) but I really love progressive, hi-fi stuff like Mars Volta, Muse, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (avant-garde anti-rock), Secret Chiefs 3 (manic world beats). I've always loved jazz (thanks dad) and when I drive I listen to the classical music station to chill me out in traffic The old faves Massive Attack and Portishead still get a look-in and I love ol' school R&B like Allman Brothers Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival and big fat funk like Tower Of Power.

For some reason I've never been into any bands from home (Australia). I guess they just all seem too lazy to me Although Augie March are a great exception to that...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG