The online racing simulator
Carpark Lobby?
(18 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
Carpark Lobby?
The current queuing system bores the pants of me " you are number 15 on the queue" yadayadayada.

For the busy servers it's obviously a problem as people will get cheesed off and go somewhere else and might not return that day.

Now, this idea has been with me for some time and I'd like to see what you all think obout this:

When servers use the 'no mid-race join', or if server is full, the server gets pounded when the race ends with people simutaniously jumping to pit-lane.
When a player initially connects and spectates they should not be allowed to directly jump to pit-lane, they must first goto carpark, Spectate>_______Lobby>], where, based on the time they connected their name will be called in the form of a sign(one of those funky lit-up signs) with their name on it.
When the player's name is called they have ~10 seconds to drive to/through the sign and teleport to pit-lane.

Its better than waiting doing nothing...waiting for people to disco from a CTRA server for example, and imo would be much better for the server itself in bandwidth spikes terms, and a chance to test setups and pre-race chat/fun too

It's more memory usage and more lag due to them driving around

P.S. I was in your neck of the woods yesterday, where's my cup of tea :P

DK
Quote from CSU1 :The current queuing system bores the pants of me " you are number 15 on the queue" yadayadayada.

For the busy servers it's obviously a problem as people will get cheesed off and go somewhere else and might not return that day.

Now, this idea has been with me for some time and I'd like to see what you all think obout this:

When servers use the 'no mid-race join', or if server is full, the server gets pounded when the race ends with people simutaniously jumping to pit-lane.
When a player initially connects and spectates they should not be allowed to directly jump to pit-lane, they must first goto carpark, Spectate>_______Lobby>], where, based on the time they connected their name will be called in the form of a sign(one of those funky lit-up signs) with their name on it.
When the player's name is called they have ~10 seconds to drive to/through the sign and teleport to pit-lane.

Its better than waiting doing nothing...waiting for people to disco from a CTRA server for example, and imo would be much better for the server itself in bandwidth spikes terms, and a chance to test setups and pre-race chat/fun too

+1 +1 !!!
#4 - ajp71
Suggestion for a queueing system +1
Driving around in the car park -1
A big neon sign and a teleporter -2

+1
Big neon sign +65535
But -1 to the rest.

It seems to complicated, i think that the way it is is fine.

+1

This would make an awesome addition to the "drive to every race" suggestion

lol sarcasim
YESSS Perhaps the game could also show me getting out of my house, into my car, driving down my driveway and towards the airport, getting on a plane, and 5 hours later be in Britain, then me going to Blackwood in a UF1 and perhaps parking it in the parking lot, only to find out that the race is full!!!!!!2!!!!!3!!!
:something
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :YESSS Perhaps the game could also show me getting out of my house

And it must simulate me taking a morning poo. The 3d model of the poo must be generated on-the-fly, otherwise it'll look too fake.
Why cant we just play pong or tetris while we wait?

Autojoin on race start after spectating a race would be better imho.
Ummm, that idea might entertain people, but all it does is create a higher allowed server population, uses more bandwidth and potentially creates even more lag for the drivers already in the race. And while the current queing system can theoretically handle an unlimited number of players, the server couldn't, so you'd just end up with more people complaining when they couldn't join the waiting area instead of the race.

#14 - CSU1
Quote from ajp71 :Suggestion for a queueing system +1
Driving around in the car park -1
A big neon sign and a teleporter -2

...I really would like these PA boards and teleporters..imagine the carpark with a dozen or so of these signs with the server name displayed on it, drive to the sign/teleport to server? it would add a fun event type theme to the whole server connection process, and would group the LFS community together further, even be it only for a minute or so.

ps: @ DK, what on earth where you doing in Dublin?
So basically, you just want a 3d version of the menus? You ever used Second Life, just out of sheer interest.

I'm against it though. How can you make sure that the new system doesn't degenerate into a mess, for instance?

ps @ CSU: I was over there to see Riverdance
#16 - CSU1
Quote from DieKolkrabe :So basically, you just want a 3d version of the menus? You ever used Second Life, just out of sheer interest.

I'm against it though. How can you make sure that the new system doesn't degenerate into a mess, for instance?

ps @ CSU: I was over there to see Riverdance

degenerate into a mess? well, I dunno?jesus

...If the carpark where to be hosted on the each guest machine?

scenario: Player hits multiplayer button, from there guest machine starts 'hosted carpark lobby', all other players that are in the 'hosted carpark lobby' mode can race talk mess about in the carpark together.

If they wish to connect to for eg. CTRA they drive up to the CTRA PA board where they will be connected straight away or be given a ticket based on there position on the queue, when there time is up their name is displayed to enter server( fun event type theme all of the time

You did not go to Riverdance did ya lol?
CSU, I did...why?

On-topic, now you've explained it, I think I get it. So a player hits multiplayer, they connect on their machine to the carpark, which is synced up to the master server, and drive up to their chosen server?

I dunno, I can see flaws in it.

DK
3D animated menus are horrible. Look at CM: Dirt for the perfect example of how not to do it. You have to wait about 1 second for every tier you want to as the animations play. Single-player, swoosh, time trial, swooooosh, car select, swooooosh, track, swooooosh, blah blah. Boring and annoying.

And teleporters? WTF? So we want ultra realistic physics and car handling for the most intense driving simulation possible. But then we want to drive onto a bloody teleporter to get places? Like you do IRL, right?

/slap

Carpark Lobby?
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG