The online racing simulator
Live for speed VS Test drive unlimited
Hey guys. A friend of mine is buggin the hell out of me to buy Test drive unlimited as its better then LFS... so he says.

I played it on his pc, with the pleasure of looking at a 70" LCD (micro projection) screen.

I personally think TDU lacks massively in the realism/driving department (which is what u do 99% of the time), and live for speed will always give me the most realistic drive i could ever have sitting in a lounge chair at home.

Where LFS lacks, TDU makes up and thats all the pretty things, like buying a house, cool music, buying popular makes&models with exact interiors from the cars which was great eye candy. Though it didnt make up for the unrealistic drive i exprienced. Which is why I play racing games in the first place.

Im open to the next best driving simulator and i keep going back to LFS.

If anyone wants to make there own personal top 3 (or 5) list of there preferred racing games, lets see it.
1. RFactor
2. GPL
3. GTL
4. SCGT
5. LFS

TDU is fun to cruis´ with your buddies. But if you have more then 8 of them at the same time you´re lost. Only a party of 8 is possible there. IMO 8 is enough for cruisin´ but not for racing. The graphics are very good and the car/bike park is amazing.
Well, the way I explain TDU to most people is the most basic way of comparison.

TDU is "The Sims" of the racing games out there, there is a lot you can do and buy and so on. However, since it is like "The Sims", it is also fairly limited to what you can do also; whereas, in LFS, each experience is a new one.
smart loyal girlfriend vs. superficial sex bomb
#5 - Bean0
One works, the other is made by Atari.
Quote from RedQuad :smart loyal girlfriend vs. superficial sex bomb

I like the way u put that

I didnt intend to make a haters thread @ tdu. Just the conversation we had comparing each game, was lets put it this way, it was colourful

I will buy TDU, as i like the concept of having a 2nd life and driving cars i will never afford
Quote from Bean0 :One works, the other is made by Atari.

Quote of the year!!!!
Quote from Bean0 :One works, the other is made by Atari.

Right

Test Drive is a game, LFS is a simulator. You may want to have both, a simulator and game
Like they said, TDU is a game, fun even for the non-enthusiastic driver. However, they wont last a week with LFS bcos it's a sim, and dosent have the fancy features TDU has on the back of the box.
Quote from Crazy Harry :1. RFactor
2. GPL
3. GTL
4. SCGT
5. LFS

TDU is fun to cruis´ with your buddies. But if you have more then 8 of them at the same time you´re lost. Only a party of 8 is possible there. IMO 8 is enough for cruisin´ but not for racing. The graphics are very good and the car/bike park is amazing.

Damn Harry you are crazy if thats your top 5
My top 5

1. LFS

I've been driving LFS for 2.5 years and have only had the hardware capabilities of driving anything else just recently. But after this long in LFS, I can't come to grips in GTR/GTL or rFactor with it's canned effects with the demos. Yes, I was on dialup at the time and downloaded the GTL demo over the period of 2 weeks in the evenings. Then found I couldn't run it. But I have tried all 3 of them with the new-to-me gfx card (and recent broadband upgrade) and just can't get the feel of them.

Hmm, does the realfeel mod for rFactor work on the demo? If so, I would like to try that to give a fair assessment.

For the OP, you are comparing apples to, well, not even oranges, more like wheat, a completely different type. LFS is a racing simulator and TDU is a game. I did just get it to try it out (no demo, so I used "other" means. I will use a cracked game if there is no proper demo to try, then buy if I like it and want to keep it). It's a cool game in concept. I still have to buy it as my 6 year old LOVES driving around in it.

You simply just can not compare TDU to LFS as they are 2 completely different "games". TDU is what all the cruise servers in LFS are trying to represent. LFS does racing with the best driving physics available (IMO as well as many other's) and TDU does cruising with "gaming" physics to where it is not realistic at all. It does look pretty though and is said to be a pretty good representation of the actual geography of Hawaii.

Massive multiplayer it is stated to be? What is massive about only being able to see a maximum of 8 others on a server? LMAO on that one.
If TDU is Massively Multiplayer, with 8 connections, what does that make LFS with 47???

TDU is a GAME (when it decides to work) and they have recently released a fantastic patch to cure all the problems AND give the PC users 2 (yes, TWO!!!!) shiny new cars. (That was sarcasm, btw!!!)

LFS is a way of life
LFS "vs" TDU? lol, that's like Cars "vs" Beans...
TDU looks like it might be fun , but I'm steering well clear until it's major problems are sorted.

My top 3

1. Netkar Pro
2. LFS
3. Richard Burns Rally
LFS v TDU is the same as : BF1 vs UF1.

LFS means only an oval for Crazy Harry.
All my sims do something rather different, for racing it has to be LFS (used to be N2003), for an adrenaline buzz there's GPL and RBR and to let me have a play around tweaking stuff then getting really pissed off there's rF.

If I had to choose one it would be GPL, for it presents a unique challenge, has the best line up of cars in any sim (one Eagle is enough), has the 'ring and so many other great tracks, including the Targa Florio in the works and most importantly is timeless, which will always be the downside to a heavily multiplayer sim.

Quote from Crazy Harry :1. RFactor
2. GPL
3. GTL
4. SCGT
5. LFS

The Tomahawks are on the way :something
#18 - Goop
*revised*
LFS
GPL
TOCA 2
Racing Destruction Set
GTL......... but only for the cars.
Quote from SS_Kristoffer :Hey guys. A friend of mine is buggin the hell out of me to buy Test drive unlimited as its better then LFS... so he says.

On first look, TDU indeed looks tempting, but then you discover those massive downsides of it...

1. They used the Havoc physics engine... Now this engine is only good for one thing: Ragdolls (of killed enemies)... It completely fails recreating a certain mass, don't ask me why, just look at the attached screenshot... Now I seriously doubt that a two-ton car gains altitude while in the air nor that it even gets to such an altitude with roughly 200 km/h...
2. It has probably the worst controller adjustment options I've ever seen in a game... There is no explanation what every slider does - anywhere...
3. You have to be suspicious when you see the handling of a specific car measured in points, and indeed, it is pants on that front as well... The only thing you get is understeer in every other situation than going straight...
But what really ruins it, is
4. The roads are atrocious... GTA did a way better job with them, and even those were sub-par...

Those points put together make for the worst driving experience in any game that I've played, and that counts in mods written for ego-shooters...
Attached images
20070728163953.jpg
Quote from SS_Kristoffer :Hey guys. A friend of mine is buggin the hell out of me to buy Test drive unlimited as its better then LFS... so he says.

Does your friend really think TDU is realistic? Quite amazing. I blame Sony for this and it's fecking "the real driving simulator" slogans for this. First they raped the "simulation" word, then after that every freakin' TOCA Crap Driver can itself a simulation. That has caused about 400% inflation to the definition of the word.
Quote from okijuhans :LFS v TDU is the same as : BF1 vs UF1.

LFS means only an oval for Crazy Harry.

:clapclap: Didn´t knew this, thx for telling me ...

BTW: The first post contains "If anyone wants to make there own personal top 3 (or 5) list of there preferred racing games, lets see it."
My Top 5

1. LFS
2. Nothing
3. Nothing
4. Grand Theft Auto (no, really!)
5. NetKar Pro (this will jump from a distant 5th to a close 2nd once they turn it from a buggy unplayable mess with big physics flaws in certain cases (F3), shit FPS bugs, crap interface, complete lack of online playability unless you one of the lucky Chosen Ones, and general poor performance. All fixable if we wait long enough).
1. LFS
2. LFS
3. LFS
4. LFS
5. LFS'

Done it Crazy.
1. LFS
2. 1nsane Racing
3. GTR2
4. GPL
5. Trackmania (any flavour)
Quote from The Moose :TDU looks like it might be fun , but I'm steering well clear until it's major problems are sorted.

My top 3

1. Netkar Pro

somewhat ironic isnt it ?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG