The online racing simulator
Racing Line affects Grip
(47 posts, started )
Its a great idea, but whit the bits of rubber and pot holes, would be a big thing to do, or then it would be the same spots, and then its like the "normal" track after a while.. Dont think you ever can make a system that wont pick the same places to make potholes, or to place rubber bits.. And if that could be done, it would take alot of programming i think.. But a nice idea though, could be great fun
Quote from AstroBoy :Definitly seems like something good. Id go for it just hope lag doesnt effect the build up or anything like that.

Why would it make lag? It will be modeled into the physics of the game and via the Tracks.

The only thing that can lag, is P2P protocols, such as chat, and online racing itself.

If your talking about FPS lag, i can't see it affecting that either, only those Rubber 'marbles' talked about before, they certainly would.
#28 - wark
+1 I'd also like to see different surfaces have different grip characteristics, i.e. concrete more slippery than black top.
Why do you say concrete is more slippery than asphalt? This site shows concrete is more grippy even when wet. http://www.school-for-champion ... science/frictioncoeff.htm

Since concrete has lower surface roughness than asphalt, concrete probably is less grippy and has a higher propensity to cause hydroplaning in heavy rain.

About rubber on the racing line, I was assuming it would be reset after every race. This way everyone knows what to expect from the track without having to do warm up laps.
#31 - Gunn
Quote from jaohard :During a downpour the difference would decrease until after the rain, then the marbles would slowly build up again (or quickly build up if all cars are on softs) - Also as mentioned, the difference should not be too severe, and should increase towards the end of a race.

The thing is, in real life the difference is often very severe between the racing line and the mostly unused parts of the track.

This suggestion has been mentioned many times over the years and I'm in favour of it. However I reckon a great many people will not be in favour of it if it gets implemented realistically. Marbles (some bigger than golf balls) and other debris off the racing line is very unforgiving even for good drivers. Currently people overtake wherever they want, with a rubbered-in track that includes debris the safe overtaking areas will be reduced dramatically. I can see cars under steering off the circuit where they once had complete control and good traction.
Great for sim enthusiasts, tough for the casual racer or arcade jockey.
#32 - Woz
LFS already includes an updating visible line which changes based on the cars paths. It is probably processed client side at the moment so would need to sync across all clients. Then its just grip levels after that.

A live track would transform lfs. I can already see the forum posts asking to make it optional etc. lol
Quote from Gunn :The thing is, in real life the difference is often very severe between the racing line and the mostly unused parts of the track.

This suggestion has been mentioned many times over the years and I'm in favour of it. However I reckon a great many people will not be in favour of it if it gets implemented realistically. Marbles (some bigger than golf balls) and other debris off the racing line is very unforgiving even for good drivers. Currently people overtake wherever they want, with a rubbered-in track that includes debris the safe overtaking areas will be reduced dramatically. I can see cars under steering off the circuit where they once had complete control and good traction.
Great for sim enthusiasts, tough for the casual racer or arcade jockey.

It all depends on how the system works. If track state is transferred from one session, or race, to the next, then it wouldn't take very long for every overtaking area to get rubbered in, and marbles/tyre debris wouldn't get the chance to build up in those areas either. When does the track "reset", I guess it has to some time? What state does it "reset" to? Brand new tarmac? Post rain-storm? Post qualifying session?

I think this is the sort of thing which loads of the hardcore gang will jump and down with glee about, whether the implementation is accurate or not. Just like loads did with the ludicrous dirty tyre ice dancing we got early on in S2.
Quote from Woz :LFS already includes an updating visible line which changes based on the cars paths.

Well...I didn't know that! You learn something new everyday.
And its probably gonna happen anyhow...

... even Scawen must've seen the same wiki!
Quote from CodieMorgan :And its probably gonna happen anyhow...

... even Scawen must've seen the same wiki!

yep...
think so aswell...
LFS 's going to change (nearly) all reds to green
Quote from xpjames :Well...I didn't know that! You learn something new everyday.

I didn`t know that eighter. But is it very easy to see that? Because I can`t remember to have noticed any very special changes on the track surface look out in races :/
Yes it is pretty easy to see, with a race of more than a few laps. Even short races with many cars make it fairly plain to see. You notice it most when the track surface experienes large loads, for example going up into the hill chicane at Aston - the bottom area always becomes significantly darker as the race progresses.
You accidentally don`t mean skind marks or?
No I don't mean skidmarks.

The actual tarmac darkens, visible as a wide band of ... well ... darkend tarmac on the areas that get driven over the most.

There is the option to disable this BTW, so make sure your setting is set to "all cars". You can turn the updating off, have it update based on your car only, or have it update based on the path of all the cars. It's in the options screen, but I'm not at home so I can't point you to the exact menu - but it's there for sure... The option is called "update path" I think, or something similar.
You can also increase the effect by setting "Update Path" to a higher number than 2 (iirc, never bothered myself), in the cfg.txt. edit:Or maybe it's the Rubber Lay and Rubber Dark settings. Anyway, someone will tell you, and I'm sure you've seen pictures where the racing line is stupidly dark, nearly black.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :No I don't mean skidmarks.

The actual tarmac darkens, visible as a wide band of ... well ... darkend tarmac on the areas that get driven over the most.

There is the option to disable this BTW, so make sure your setting is set to "all cars". You can turn the updating off, have it update based on your car only, or have it update based on the path of all the cars. It's in the options screen, but I'm not at home so I can't point you to the exact menu - but it's there for sure... The option is called "update path" I think, or something similar.

Ahh, ok!
Now I got it, thanks for the answer.
I have allways wondered what the "update path" thing in option was, and now I know it, thank you

If someone got time they maybe could post a comparioson picture?
#43 - Woz
Quote from The Very End :Ahh, ok!
Now I got it, thanks for the answer.
I have allways wondered what the "update path" thing in option was, and now I know it, thank you

If someone got time they maybe could post a comparioson picture?

Go to a short track like FE1. Set a full field of AI and leave them to clock up 10+ laps. You will soon see it. Because they all tend to follow very similar paths when they "bed in" you will see it far far clearer than when a full field of humans race.

Quote from sinbad :It all depends on how the system works. If track state is transferred from one session, or race, to the next, then it wouldn't take very long for every overtaking area to get rubbered in, and marbles/tyre debris wouldn't get the chance to build up in those areas either. When does the track "reset", I guess it has to some time? What state does it "reset" to? Brand new tarmac? Post rain-storm? Post qualifying session?

I think this is the sort of thing which loads of the hardcore gang will jump and down with glee about, whether the implementation is accurate or not. Just like loads did with the ludicrous dirty tyre ice dancing we got early on in S2.

Being from the "hardcore gang" yep, it is something I would like to see BUT do understand it will raise the learning curve for the noob even higher as they try to get to grips with LFS. I would like to see it done right though.

As for reset. Would make sense to reset at the start of qualify or at the start of a new race if no qualify was selected.

Not a full reset though. More it would be like after a track sweep or rain in that the rubber is still there but the marbles are gone so the difference in grip is smaller. As the marbles build again over the race the difference in grip would get bigger again until the next reset.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :No I don't mean skidmarks.

Yeah..

This is also something that can deliberately paint incorrect lines if a server is full of noob specificly trying to follow the dark area (warping it off further )
Quote from Woz :Being from the "hardcore gang" yep, it is something I would like to see BUT do understand it will raise the learning curve for the noob even higher as they try to get to grips with LFS. I would like to see it done right though.

It would raise the learning curve yes, but it might also increase peoples speed of learning a track because it forces them to think racing line, line, line
Quote from LFSn00b :RACELINEALPHA.dds
Paint it red - you see it better

Lol yea hehe, would be funny to see an increasing red line in the corners xD
You could have it in real life, just hit some wildlife while driving...

</bad taste>

Racing Line affects Grip
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG